Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Electric Power > Foamies
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Revy
Uber Contributor

Default Sbach 342 25" Foamie

I am loving my Pilot 29% Sbach so much, I wanted a smaller more travel friendly version. I came across a Sbach foamy plan by Vincent Prosbic. I saved a copy of the tiled plans he shared on RCG. I printed them off thinking I had turned page scaling off. They printed off nicely. I kept them off to the side until I acquired some foam and other building materials. I then went to piece the puzzle together and thought to myself "That plan scale measurement is off" I quickly measured and found that the plans inch was actually 3/4"!!! My supposedly 34" wingspan was 25.5"...ooops. My paper choice was wrong in the set-up. DOH!!

Well I then had that "moment". What if I used a smaller brushless set-up? I had my 4 Site hanging on the wall and quickly scavenged the electrics off of it to use. The CF control linkages, horns and wheels came from a destroyed (lol) GP Pluma I saved thinking I might build a foamie some day.

I went ahead and cut out the pattern and traced it on some poster board because I wasn't exactly sure how I got the dimensions in the first place and didn't know if I could duplicate them again. I changed the layout a bit differently than the instructions Vincent wrote as I flipped the wing template on the 3mm Depron to create one piece rather than two. I used a 3mm CF rod in the wing and 3mm CF strip in the elevator. The build went together very easy, almost too easy. I had to guess on placement of the servos, ESC and Rx, tho. The motor I left hang right off the front using a servo arm from a 55MG that werkt perfectly as a motor mount for the E flight Park 250. I got her together in a few hours, balanced and had the maiden shortly after that.

What it looked like at first....

Flew nice, but could be better. Moved the ESC and Rx around to find the best balance. Stiffened up the fuse by adding a 45* brace of 3mm Depron the length of the fuse like the 4 Site. Stiffened up the H-stab with some CF rigging and added the Pluma wheels on some CF gear that has two shock valves from a monster truck as brackets. They sit in under the wing as the gear legs cross in the fuse's belly. Counter sunk the Park 250 after moving the shaft out to accommodate the prop adapter to get the mass closer to the CG.

After a lot of testing and tweaking I like what I came up with. Flies better than either the 4 Site or Pluma, imo. Looks better too...

Wing span: 25.5"
Length: 27.75"
Motor: Park 250 or Hacker A-10-15S
Prop: 8 x 3.8 or 8 x4 sf
ESC: CC T-bird 9
Servos: Futaba S3114 x 3
Battery: 2S 350 mAh 7.4v
Weight: 4.75 oz AUW w/ batt
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Revy
Uber Contributor

Default Re: Sbach 342 25" Foamie

The plans.
Attached Files
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
jaggededge
Has a lot to learn.

Nice Revy! Paint looks awesome and the wheel pants are killer.
I built one like that.. I think.

I need a small one to fly indoors, haven't really settled on one yet.
I recently picked up a 42" EPP from MWFP.com real nice and handles crashes well (link in sig).

Pic of my homebuilt.
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	sbach.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	293619 77.6 KB · Views: 149

Old 06-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Revy
Uber Contributor

Thanks, man. The red is a bit of Oracal vinyl I had kicking around. Super thin stuff. I think they fly better than what you buy from the bigger mass marketing guys. I think I'll build another one for a club member and take pics along the way. It's an easy evening project.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Revy
Uber Contributor

I built a second one, only because I dorked the first one in, lol. Low rolling harrier is not the time for dumb thumbs! Gave me a chance to use it's servos and Rx until I get my order in from my LHS. This time I made it out of 5mm and extended the fuse/wing a bit for a Rimfire 300 on 3S. V2.0's wingspan is 28" and comes in at 7.7 oz with 450 mAh 3S. It flies a bit better than the little guy. I will re-do the smaller one again but will extend the tail section a bit and beef up initially what I had to during flight testing. Both power set-ups are equally as good in their respective airframes. Hopefully I will get some video shot soon.

Last edited by Revy; 07-05-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: pic
Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
jaggededge
Has a lot to learn.

Looking good Revy. I haven't been flying for weeks.. Itching to fly my foamie more than anything else.
Tried EPP yet?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
vlysakowski
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Looks good. BTW where can you get this plane?
vlysakowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Revy
Uber Contributor

Both are scratch build. Scaled plans for the first and those templates used for the second one just stretched out a bit.

I had a glitchy servo that caused a few hairy moments. I think I know why the first one nosed in. It was on the elevator on the first one and on version 2 it ended up on the rudder! Took a week to get a replacement. No more unintended maneuvers, lol.

I had good flights last night with the new servo. Almost zero'd in the perfect CG for the way I fly. I like it, a lot! Now, with the gremlins out of the way, I feel like making a video, lol.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
vlysakowski
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by Revy
View Post
Both are scratch build. Scaled plans for the first and those templates used for the second one just stretched out a bit.

I had a glitchy servo that caused a few hairy moments. I think I know why the first one nosed in. It was on the elevator on the first one and on version 2 it ended up on the rudder! Took a week to get a replacement. No more unintended maneuvers, lol.

I had good flights last night with the new servo. Almost zero'd in the perfect CG for the way I fly. I like it, a lot! Now, with the gremlins out of the way, I feel like making a video, lol.
Oh. Ok.
vlysakowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Revy
Uber Contributor

Got busy with a few things but managed to get a couple more built. One 5mm version got delivered to a guy at an event.

I used the longer wingspan templates and did one in 3mm and got the weight down to 5.05oz with a 320mAh 2S pack! With the 450mAh (2x as big, 10g heavier), 5.4oz. Flies like it should, hehehe. Still tweaking the design a bit by moving things around and trying different motors. This is the indoor set up!

The heavier 5mm outdoor 3D'er is an awesome park flier! If your gym was big enough, two basketball courts, no problem, but for smaller single courts like we fly in, its better outside. I tried a Hoffman Magnetics Mighty Mite and a 2S. With the same 8x3.8 prop it doesn't quite have the insane vertical like the Park 300, but it has one less cell and drops the weight significantly. Overall...both suit the plane, just which one you put in is like Ford and Chevy. The sub-8 oz is still nothing to shake a stick at. I like it a lot and it fits the more travel friendly bill perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	299196 63.7 KB · Views: 120

Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
T_Simatovic
Poor Gimbals

Quote: Originally Posted by Revy
View Post

boo yah scractch builders rule haha looks nice! that 2nd one looks better. looks more stable. exelent work!
Energie

T_Simatovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
T_Simatovic
Poor Gimbals

ok didnt see the third, that ones awesome. love it, you going to mill one for f3p? it would be sick!
Energie

T_Simatovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
Revy
Uber Contributor

Thanks for the good words man! First go at this sort of thing. Your Juka kinda inspired me too.

Both the second and third versions have their merits. The third one is definitely the best flier with the 7.4v 320 mAh pack. The second one is better in a park on 11.1v system. IDK about the proper way to go with milling it or even know where to remove material without killing necessary structure. Vacuum table w/ CNC router is best but free hand with Dremel router?! Might be dicey, lol. I don't have the $18K for that table.