Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Airframes and Kits
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
jmalone1982
Flyin' Around

Default Great planes Pitts m12s flight reports?

Anyone out there in huckland throwing this plane around? Been looking at it quite hard and seem to have a thing for a round cowl twin wing thingy, if you know what i mean. Have not seen any good videos other than the short Video of it at the great planes site.
Is anyone flying this thing?
I know its not gonna be a pig at the 17-18 pounds guys are actually coming in at and forget about the gear being too flimsy. I know this plane will fly good,and really want to know how real world flying will be?
jmalone1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
racelikustolit3k
how low can you go

Send a message via AIM to racelikustolit3k
Default Re: Great planes Pitts m12s flight reports?

the owner of our local hobby shop has one and it weighs in at 19lbs and some change with a dle 55.. the plane really look good and is twice the size of my aero works pitts python..

I was very impressed at how it flew and in a really strong wind at that (solid 18, with gusts over 25)

the dle has no problem with yankin this plane around.

matt ( the owner is not a hard 3d guy ) but im sure with capable fingers, this plane will do quite well

RACE
racelikustolit3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
leelee
Knife Edge

I have been waiting for a report also. Would like to have one.

Team Deadstick "Flirtn With Dirt"
leelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
jmalone1982
Flyin' Around

See I knew with all that fuse area and over 1500 squares on the wing that it would not be a pig, thats good news.

I know its not gonna be a wild hare edge or anything but I think I may be willing to shell out the dough on this one.
And You dont have to murder the cowling to make the engine fit. Lovin it!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
jmalone1982
Flyin' Around

So maybe some video then? Anyone?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
superdave1963
Super Contributor

Just wanted to report.....I have 5 flights on mine and love it..Not a big fan of 50cc size 3D planes but this one is a winner...........Da50 with 23/8 Carbon fibre.....Very hot down here so could stand a bit more punch out of hover..Will try a 23 a vess ...
Golden Corral Mccomb MS,
superdave1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
brwilkins
Flyin' Around

I've been flying one for a few months now (got it when it first came out). Mine also weighed in at 19 pounds. I put a brand new DA50 (Menz 22x8 prop, Lawnboy ashless 32:1) and it would not hold a hover. It would fall. Now that the motor is broken in, it will hold a hover and climb out of it, but just barely. I would not recommend a DA50 on this plane. It really needs more power than that for the weight. The DA-60, if it ever gets released, would probably be perfect.

Another note on this plane; as has been discussed on other message boards, this plane is, of course, covered in Monokote and it's somewhat wrinkled. The wrinkles are generally impossible to get out, so if you're used to covering quality like what you'd get with a Carden or an Aeroworks plane, that might be a consideration. The only other thing that I'll mention briefly, just in case you haven't considered it, is that it takes a fair amount of time to attach the wings at the field (16 bolts). For me, that's fine if I'm going out for the whole day, but this plane (as is the case with most bipes) isn't something that you'd consider a "toss it in your vehicle and go fly for an hour" sort of plane. With 20-30 minutes of assembly and another 20-30 minutes of dis-assembly, you give up some flying time to have a bipe. This was my first large bipe and I hadn't thought about that until the first few times I took it to the field.

As far as flying goes, I didn't really get mine for 3D. I just wanted a cool bipe to fly around and punch holes in the sky. It's great for that and looks awesome in the air. As with most planes that have a big round cowl, it slows down quickly which makes it really easy to land. It does have quite a bit of coupling in knife-edge, which of course can be mixed out in your radio, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine had the Aeroworks Pitts and I'd consider these two to be pretty close in quality. The Great Planes Pitts looks bigger because it's much winder and rounder in the front. I personally like the color scheme of the Great Planes one better, but that's a matter of preference. The Aeroworks Pitts has a nice dummy motor inside the cowl. The Great Planes Pitts just has a round piece of black plastic, no dummy motor. The Great Planes Pitts has a removable canopy, so swapping receiver packs and getting to things is easier with the plane assembled. The Aeroworks does not have a removable canopy. You have to remove the lower wing to get access to the batteries, etc. Other than those tidbits, they're very similar.

Hope that helps.
brwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
superdave1963
Super Contributor

A good thing for me it fits in the trailer all together......After about 6 flights I think she 3Ds very well....I am gonna try a Vess this weekend to see if I can get a bit more punch out.....All in all its got enough juice for decent 3D pilot....But if you get in major trouble she could stand some more ponys....