Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Build Threads
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 07-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #61
sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Official FG Bad Ass!: Hand selected award for being a BAD-ASS member, and an awesome dude in general. - Issue reason: For helping put on the 2007 FlyingGiants Las Vegas Huckfest, and being an essential friend of The Giants! 
Total Awards: 2
Default Re: Hobby Lobby SU-34 Video Build Thread

I know most people think jets are like aerobatic planes on the elevators. Infact most jets require alot of up elevator as the nuetral setting. Its this way with my Phase 3 F-16. Also the electric ducted fan foam jets tend to be lacking on intial speed. You need high rates (or in your case vectored thrust) to keep the plane level until you have the airspeed to climb.

I think what the avg aerobatic pilot will find is that jets are not forgiving for over pulling and slow speed abrupt moves. They need thrust.

Can't wait to read your review.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem." ...Ronald Reagan
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #62
plowboy
Balsa Farmer

Well Craven, at least you spent some quality time with Matt and your friends and it looks like everyone had a good time. Congratulations on that, if not on the maiden. Well done man.

It's just a flesh wound!!
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #63
Bam Bam
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

+1, thanks for sharing craven, i have not pulled the pin on a jet yet but have thought about it. i just learnt something from you!
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #64
WangoTango

Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! 
Total Awards: 1

Craven, Matt & 50%,
You guys are something else...... Very entertaining! So..... The jet went home with 7 of it's 9 lives intact! Y'all did GREAT!
WT
WangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #65
BOSSIER_ROB
TEAM 3DHS

Nice work guys. I like the way those look. I've seen the Eurofighter at my home club. That fella had a few quirks with his retracts and servos. They strip very easily. I've wondered how much better they'd be with some stronger, better built servos. It took a while to get the nose gear to come up and shut the gear door until the door broke loose. He worked on it for about 10-15 minutes until it all worked right. One of his retract servos stripped and caused a main to collapse while taxiing to the runway. Fixed it up and maidened. Flew dang nice. Quick and fairly smooth. He never tried out the vectored thrust, though. On landing, which was a decent approach and ok touchdown, the nose gear and other main folded and tore up the bottom a little. I haven't been out at the field while he's been around, if he's been around so haven't seen it again. I think with the right servos, the thrust vectored HL jets have potential. Just can't be rough with them. Looking forward to seeing you and Matt get some more flights on it and some video.

FALCON PROPS
BOSSIER_ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #66
Craven
on a vacation

Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! FlyingGiants TBob Award!: Much coveted award for providing continued excellence in forum posting. - Issue reason: For living up to the example Tbob has set. Your one in a million, and we love you in a non gay way. FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 4

Thanks for the posts guys. I totally agree with everything you guys have said. I'll sum it all up in my review.

And, any day I get to spend time with my son is an awesome day. I love being a dad!
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #67
ddlstang
Uber Contributor

The main gear location in relation to the cg is critical on ground rotation, some of these just dont get enough r&d before final release, if that is the cause. Looks really neat though.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #68
reyn3545

I don't know... I go to the airfield to get away from the vacuum cleaner noise.... Now I'm picturing Craven, in a skirt, heels ad pearl necklace... pushing a hoover around the field.... Way too many puns in this.
reyn3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #69
jaggededge
Has a lot to learn.

Quote: Originally Posted by reyn3545
View Post
I don't know... I go to the airfield to get away from the vacuum cleaner noise.... Now I'm picturing Craven, in a skirt, heels ad pearl necklace... pushing a hoover around the field.... Way too many puns in this.
Thats a great idea for a "goofy on the ladder" plane.

"Craven vacuuming the sky" plane.

Last edited by jaggededge; 07-19-2010 at 08:30 PM.
jaggededge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #70
Chris Puckett

Awards Showcase
FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 1

Craven try to take off with the VT on. Also you might try to give the airplane a little more nose up attitude. It should not take much.
Chris Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #71
jmiracle

Send a message via MSN to jmiracle

as usual.....a little late to the party.....but here's another perspective of the maiden "flight".

funny enough....this is the one and only video I shot Saturday.

Quote: Originally Posted by Craven
View Post
The not-so-successful maiden. After a successful taxi test earlier and a fresh battery charge it was time for the maiden. I slowly eased into the throttle and the plane tracked extremely well down the runway. As for any maiden, I made sure I had plenty of ground speed before attempting to rotate. When I did start to pull back on the right stick...it was like..nothing was there. I was on low rates without the vector thrust on and I eventually pulled the stick all the way back and it never lifted off as it should have. It should have been flying easily at this point but, it didn't. The front end broke off the airframe and it also broke the front landing gear. Here's a video of the result.

YouTube- SU 34 build 011.mov
jmiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #72
reyn3545

It's just not fair.... why can't they make a $300 foamy jet that looks real, and will fly over 100 mph for at least 10 minutes?
reyn3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #73
Craven
on a vacation

Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! FlyingGiants TBob Award!: Much coveted award for providing continued excellence in forum posting. - Issue reason: For living up to the example Tbob has set. Your one in a million, and we love you in a non gay way. FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 

Some things would be so easy to fix and/or understand with a decent instruction manual.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #74
Craven
on a vacation

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the video Jason. It's much better than what we previously posted. Full review to follow.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #75
66stang
Fly it like you hate it!

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You are a haaaaard man! 
Total Awards: 3

Craven, sorry it did not go better for you, but appreciate the great info! Look forward to a truthful review! Now that would be something new and refreshing on these little foamies!
66stang is offline   Reply With Quote