Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Dmgiff
Flyin' Around

Default Glow to gas conversion

I have been around the hobby for about 10 years and I'm just getting back into flying. I'm thinking of a giant scale plane on the smaller end of the spectrum for my next one and would like it to be gas for cost and convenience. My question is: is there a conversion chart for glow engine size (.61 or 1.20) to gas? I'm thinking a 30cc engine would be about right. What size plane should I be looking for? Is there a disadvantage to going with the new smaller gas engines like 15cc or 23cc?
Dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Brandon15
Still Lurking

Default Re: Glow to gas conversion

There are alot of gas engines (15cc-26cc) out there and alot of them are over weight and underpowered which are some disadvantages.......I would stick with the DLE 30cc for (1.20-1.80 glow planes) or the new DLE 20cc that is about to hit the market for (.60-.90 glow planes) those are probably your best bet. As far as planes there are a ton of them on the market that either one of the engines I mentioned would be perfect in......just depends on what style plane your looking for.
Brandon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Dmgiff
Flyin' Around

Thanks for the reply, Brandon. I'm thinking about some kind of aerobatic plane. I really like the looks of the Extra and Edge type planes. I currently have a Hangar 9 F4U and although I like to fly it, the retracts are problematic and I want something a little more challenging.

Last edited by Dmgiff; 09-08-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
topflight36
Addicted

I would tend to stay away from motors under the 20cc mark. Due to the power to weight ratios these motor product they just do not perform that well.

If you want a gas engine for the 1.6 glow/30cc gas class I would go with the JC 28 evo. This motor is hands down the best one I have tried in its class. Power is unreal and the weight is low on the motor. Here is a link to the distrubuter. The motors come with a 2 year US back warrenty.

http://www.rcaer.com/store/Details.c...212&category=2

If you are looking into the 1.20 glow/20cc gas class the two motors to watch for is the YD aero 23cc which is on the site above and the DLE 20. These will be the two big dogs in this size class.

Tom
topflight36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Brandon15
Still Lurking

In that case checkout Extreme Flight, 3D Hobby Shop, or Top Dawg Aviation. They all have a few planes that are great for 30cc range engines.......personally I would prefer the Extreme Flight 70" Extra.

I agree with Topflight36 about staying away from gas engines under 20cc. As far as the JC 28 it's probably a great engine.....a buddy of mine has one of the JC 51cc engines that runs great.

Last edited by Brandon15; 09-08-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Brandon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
topflight36
Addicted

You hit it on the head with great 30cc planes.

I have never ran the 51 just the 28 and I was blown away lol

Tom
topflight36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
hughsey
Uber Contributor

What about the Syssa 30cc!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
2walla
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Better to just jump to 50cc. Look at the weights of the motors, most 30cc motors are within a couple of oz of a 50cc motor. I have my share of low cost chinese motors and if you are only going to have one plane I would stick with the better known motors that have a good track record.
2walla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Dmgiff
Flyin' Around

Thanks for the suggestions on planes, I will check those. I had thought that there may be issues with the gas engines under 30cc a there seem to be few of them. 50cc interests me, but the planes are soooo big. A little intimidating to me at this point and the 30cc are definitely easier for me to store and transport...
Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Al Lewis

Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You're a haaaaaaard man! 
Total Awards: 3

If you want to go with a 30 size engine check these out. They are outstanding engines with a great warranty and support and a good price to boot.

http://www.southeastrcengines.com/see_008.htm

http://www.southeastrcengines.com
http://www.vessaero.com

Remember every second of every day there are thousands of men and women giving of their lives to keep you safe. Never forget them for they never forget you!!
Al Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
pe reivers

There are some extremely powerful 1.60 engines, like MVVS, Evolution and Zenoah. Take your pick.
The chinese are low on power. The MVVS has 3.8 genuine (not paper) horses, and is as strong as the Zenoah 38.
www.mvvs.nl
www.prme.nl/forum/
pe reivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Low_Cal

Quote: Originally Posted by Dmgiff
View Post
Thanks for the suggestions on planes, I will check those. I had thought that there may be issues with the gas engines under 30cc a there seem to be few of them. 50cc interests me, but the planes are soooo big. A little intimidating to me at this point and the 30cc are definitely easier for me to store and transport...
50cc planes may seem big, but that larger size makes them fly MUCH more smoothly! No reason to be intimidated, they are also easier to fly. They are well worth the transport hassles IMO.

As for really small gassers, I haven't tried the Supertigre 90 converted to gasoline by BME, but I've heard it works well. That would be 15cc. Maybe someone that has one will chime in.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
Low_Cal

Quote: Originally Posted by pe reivers
View Post
There are some extremely powerful 1.60 engines, like MVVS, Evolution and Zenoah. Take your pick.
The chinese are low on power. The MVVS has 3.8 genuine (not paper) horses, and is as strong as the Zenoah 38.
Pe, I've been wanting to ask, does MVVS make the Evolution engines? If so, I may have to start giving them some respect!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Al Lewis

Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You're a haaaaaaard man! 
Total Awards: 3

View Post
pe, I doubt you'll find the RCGF 32 low on power. MVVS are not available in this country.

http://www.southeastrcengines.com
http://www.vessaero.com

Remember every second of every day there are thousands of men and women giving of their lives to keep you safe. Never forget them for they never forget you!!
Al Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
ericb
Team WTFO

View Post
The chinese are low on power. .
Not all of them.
ericb is online now   Reply With Quote