Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Airframes and Kits
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
zippi
Super Contributor

Default *Pilot RC 32% 122" Decathlon*

Been looking at this plane and maybe an EME 70 twin. I contacted Chief Aircraft to see if they could ship va Greyhound at a much much low cost but they said no. $225.00 is a lot for shipping. I have found a host of old threads but not a lot within the past year are so. Who's flying one or looking at buying one??? What engine will you be using?
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	32% Decathlon.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	680094 81.3 KB · Views: 37

Last edited by zippi; 09-18-2014 at 03:12 PM.
zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
boggintuff
Sigh...really?

I have been eyeing that same plane myself...

The boxes are huge with this plane....$225 isnt bad considering the size and number of boxes.
boggintuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
zippi
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by boggintuff
View Post
I have been eyeing that same plane myself...

The boxes are huge with this plane....$225 isnt bad considering the size and number of boxes.
How many boxes? Do you know someone that ordered one?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
boggintuff
Sigh...really?

2 very large boxes
boggintuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
grizzz
Doo It! Doo It!

I have one I used the da 85 with a canister it is a great plane the grizzz
grizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
zippi
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by grizzz
View Post
Any pics to share Grizzz?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
FragDaddy
Flyin' Around

I fly one. I installed a ZDZ 80 with Krumscheid canister.
Batteries in the tail to compensate for CG.

As been said before, it comes in two large boxes. Wings in one box, Fuse and everything else in the other.

The plane flies great. Like a very large trainer. It flies about half the speed as my other GS (aerobatic) planes. With the flaps down you can fly around at almost walking pace. I tend to fly it more then my other planes because its so relaxing and easy to fly.

FragDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
zippi
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by FragDaddy
View Post
I fly one. I installed a ZDZ 80 with Krumscheid canister.
Batteries in the tail to compensate for CG.

As been said before, it comes in two large boxes. Wings in one box, Fuse and everything else in the other.

The plane flies great. Like a very large trainer. It flies about half the speed as my other GS (aerobatic) planes. With the flaps down you can fly around at almost walking pace. I tend to fly it more then my other planes because its so relaxing and easy to fly.

Nice. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Low_Cal
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by grizzz
View Post
DA85 is what I'm using on mine also. I had initiailly planned on a DA60, but based on other's experiances didn't sound like enough power for the way I like to fly. If using a big single like the DA85, I suggest adding more wood to the motor box and forward section.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
FragDaddy
Flyin' Around

I would also recommend some strengthening to the fuse in some places.

But on the other hand, you want to keep it as light as possible, because with a big single in front, the CG will already be way to far forward. I have the batteries half way down the tail.

I glassed the firewall to the motorbox. I did not use the aluminum brackets that where supplied. They are far to heavy.

I also doubled up the plywood on the front window frame and ran it into the motor box and glassed it all together.

I glued a piece of plywood between the front window frame and the wing tube. Glassed that together. This, together with the modification above strengthens the connection between the wings and the motor box. (in my opinion). I did not want to rely on the wing struts alone to carry the forces from the motor box to the wings.

Finally i cut out the original wood rudder servo tray thingy in the fuse and lengthened the motor box / canister tunnel, tying it in with the rest of the fuse. Placed the rudder servo in the tail. Also for CG.

I admit i got a bit carried away, but i didn't have anything else to build last winter.

In the coming months i want to add a tow-hook. That would require some additional strengthening.

Last edited by FragDaddy; 09-23-2014 at 02:50 PM.
FragDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
zippi
Super Contributor

I gotta be honest guys, I have never seen a firewall so thin on a plane this size. Just doesn't look that structurally sound to me. How thick is the firewall ? I know a lot of guys are using the DLE 85 but man the front of this plane looks so light. Somebody tell me I'm wrong on what I'm seeing.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
Low_Cal

Quote: Originally Posted by zippi
View Post
I gotta be honest guys, I have never seen a firewall so thin on a plane this size. Just doesn't look that structurally sound to me. How thick is the firewall ? I know a lot of guys are using the DLE 85 but man the front of this plane looks so light. Somebody tell me I'm wrong on what I'm seeing.
My thoughts as well. Better double the thickness of entire motorbox assembly if you're using a DA-85.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
Low_Cal

Quote: Originally Posted by FragDaddy
View Post
I would also recommend some strengthening to the fuse in some places.

But on the other hand, you want to keep it as light as possible, because with a big single in front, the CG will already be way to far forward. I have the batteries half way down the tail.

I glassed the firewall to the motorbox. I did not use the aluminum brackets that where supplied. They are far to heavy.

I also doubled up the plywood on the front window frame and ran it into the motor box and glassed it all together.

I glued a piece of plywood between the front window frame and the wing tube. Glassed that together. This, together with the modification above strengthens the connection between the wings and the motor box. (in my opinion). I did not want to rely on the wing struts alone to carry the forces from the motor box to the wings.

Finally i cut out the original wood rudder servo tray thingy in the fuse and lengthened the motor box / canister tunnel, tying it in with the rest of the fuse. Placed the rudder servo in the tail. Also for CG.

I admit i got a bit carried away, but i didn't have anything else to build last winter.

In the coming months i want to add a tow-hook. That would require some additional strengthening.
Nice work! And that's exactly where they break, nose comes off by windshield.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
zippi
Super Contributor

I really like the looks of this plane but....$1525.00 to get one to my door is pushing the limit for me and for that much money I don't want to have to rebuild the whole front end of the plane and cabin area. As long as this plane has been out you would have thought Pilot RC would have corrected this weak area by now. I'm thinking now I may have to pass on this one.

Last edited by zippi; 09-27-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
Low_Cal

All Pilot RC planes seemed to be built this way, very light weight to the point of being fragile. Not just the Super Dec. As for the cost, Chief Aircraft has some good sales on Pilot planes.

Bill Hemple RC has a lot of Super Decs of different sizes; might try one of those.