Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Airframes and Kits
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
YAKMAN76
So you fly toy planes??

Default Re: Another free plan

Good work mODE! How is the Land'O Sand??
YAKMAN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #32
ta154
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by mark winstanley
View Post
I see that Hangar 9 sells 27% and 33% cowls for their CAP 232. Which do you suppose would be the best fit?

Mark.
Here're the dimensions on the 33% H9 CAP taken off mine:

cowl length 13 1/4"
width at firewall 9 5/16"

Also note that the ring for spinner is 4 1/4", That's an unusual size. Tru-Turn makes a spinner specifically for the plane.

I've resized Pete's CAP plan to the full size and here's what I get for the same dimensions there:

width at firewall 8.2"
spinner ring 3.7"

I've not included the cowl length on Pete's plane since it extends rearward beyond the firewall, whereas on the H9 plane it does not. So we can't make a direct comparison.
ta154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #33
MODE 1

Quote: Originally Posted by ta154
View Post
I've not included the cowl length on Pete's plane since it extends rearward beyond the firewall, whereas on the H9 plane it does not. So we can't make a direct comparison.

What about the height of the cowl aperture?

The section of cowl that extends past the former F1 is adjustable it can be flush with the inside face , not critical, up to how the builder likes it to be.

Heres a pic of the CAP's first former where the cowl fits onto. Measurements are shown at full size scale

Last edited by MODE 1; 09-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.
MODE 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #34
mark winstanley
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by MODE 1
View Post
Hi Mark.
Tough question for me to answer as I don't know the sizes. At a guess I would say the 33% might work but would probably need to be cut down and re joined with glass tape. H9 may be able to give you some sizes or you could ask them to scan the fuse opening perhaps.

Found this site, I know its not in your country but is a possible alternative.
http://www.mamut.net/controls/shop/s...nsModels&gid=3

Number 130103
Thanks Pete; I had found the Glens models web site and was considering purchasing their cowl/canopy and LG as they should be a perfect fit. The reason I asked about the H9 cowls was that they were cheaper!!

I guess I have a couple of options:
1. go with the Glens Models pieces;
2. scale your plan to 33% and use the H9 accessories;
3. scale your plan to 27% and use the H9 accessories.

I built a Lanier Laser some years ago (33% and 96 inch span) which flew very well on the G62 so I think your CAP 232 at 33% might be OK for the G62.

TA 154; thanks for the info on the cowl dimensions. Scaling up by 10% (30 to 33%) gives approximately the correct correct dimensions. If all the construction is kept the same the weight increase should be marginal (I think).

Any comments?

Mark.
mark winstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #35
MODE 1

Morning Mark
I've done a little thinking on this and if it where me. I would purchase the cowl from Glens and build your model as per the original sizes of the plan if that's the only cowl available to you in your area. This way you can be sure that the only additional expense above that initially estimated would be the increase in a more expensive cowl.

If you opt for making the plane smaller to fit the 27% cowl you may lose some of the qualities I found in the model at its 30% size and end up disappointed which I wouldn't like to see happen. Additionally a G62 engine would be heavy for an 80" wing.

If you build the model to 33% to fit the H9 cowl, more money will be needed (much more than the cost of the Glens cowl) to build , cover, fit out the model and the G62 may not give you the performance the model is capable of at that size or what you expect. More powerful servos may also be needed, again more cost to you.

I typed in 30% cap in YT and came up with several videos. Here is one of them I found that uses a G62 for power. The other video that says so is very similar but has no sound.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #36
ta154
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by MODE 1
View Post
What about the height of the cowl aperture?
To get that measurement, I must first remove the spinner and prop, then the cowl and a bunch of other stuff. It appears to be 10 1/4". Unfortunately, if the width is already too big, so will the height be.

In any case, there is no guarantee that any of the planes, even at the same scale, will have the same firewall or cowl dimensions. The very fact that the cowl on Pete's design can be relocated forward or reward is proof of that. On the 1/3 H9 CAP, that is not an option. It's intended to fit precisely - but poorly cut to do so - to the firwall top and does not extend fore or aft. On the side, it more or less sits on a very small recessed edges around the firewall perimeter and 6 wood blocks. It is predrilled to mount to these blocks, although in my case, nothing lined up - not the fit nor the pre-drilled holes.

You'd be better off with something that is custom fit to your particular plane than something which has a bunch of holes in it and does not fit.

Last edited by ta154; 01-06-2011 at 10:06 AM.
ta154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #37
mark winstanley
Gettin' Lower!

Alright I am convinced. Glens equipment it is then!

Thanks for all the help.

Mark.

Last edited by mark winstanley; 01-07-2011 at 01:58 AM.
mark winstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #38
MODE 1

Original plan now being updated to a lighter weight and uses a faster build method.
New version will be posted here when completed.

This version is no longer available

Last edited by MODE 1; 10-05-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #39
alfycat
TARECOS AeroClub

Thanks Pete for another master piece!!
Hey, I'm a big fan of your detailed and well done plans!
Next time just deliver them to me automatically.
I dream on designing and building and your work in my hands is something
that inspires me in to this awesome part of the hobby.
You can't find pdf plans like yours out there
so thanks again for the treasures,

I'm happy,
Alfred.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #40
rcar4
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by alfycat
View Post
Thanks Pete for another master piece!!
Hey, I'm a big fan of your detailed and well done plans!
Next time just deliver them to me automatically.
I dream on designing and building and your work in my hands is something
that inspires me in to this awesome part of the hobby.
You can't find pdf plans like yours out there
so thanks again for the treasures,

I'm happy,
Alfred.
Ditto :-) Thanks again Pete!

What is the "Land O Sand"
rcar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #41
alfycat
TARECOS AeroClub

Thanks Pete for including general size guides with the plans.
Thanks for your time,

Alfred.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #42
Spdstr280Z
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Thanks Pete, got the CAP yesterday and did a little extra testing of a large format printer at work ! Plans look great, really appreciate you doing this. Another reason I think 50CC is a sweet spot is there seem to be very few plans out there. Maybe since the size has only become popular in the age of ARFs....

The mid-wing CAP concept has me intrigued, I was planning to put these plans aside to have for later... Now I'm thinking about buying some more wood...

Jason

Spdstr280Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #43
MODE 1

Yeah go for it Jason. I'm sure you will be very happy with its performance. I found it as good as anything mass produced out there. Only difference between my designs and others out there is I'm an unknown in the advertising world. I wouldn't post a plan I felt wasn't up to everyone's expectations, and FG has some guys with high standards here. This one I'm certain will be one of your fave models in its class. 100% sure of it.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #44
AeroPainter
Doo It! Doo It!

Hey Pete, got the Edge plans. Thanks much. It will probably take me a bit to get started, not to mention with what little building experience I have how long it may take to complete, but looking at the plans it seems pretty straight forward. Much more so than that Yoshioka kit I built last year. At least your plans have English where the Dash 5 was all in Japanese!

Thanks again. Paul
AeroPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #45
pcastine
Approaching critical AoA...

I've never built directly from plans before (only from kits - Carden, Aerotech, BUSA, etc....).

What's the best way to copy the shape of the part from the plan to the wood? I'd be cutting the parts on a scroll saw by hand.

Thanks,
Pete