Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Build Threads
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

Default Hangar 9 Inverza

Since the Hangar 9 Inverza 62 is starting to ship and I have one on order, lets build them together and share the experience/ideas. I also ordered an Evolution 62 EFI engine which I understand will not be shipping until after the Inverza 62 ships. Comments on the other Inverza thread indicates Horizon has notified some customers their plane has been shipped. Looking forward to it.

I also thought about installing a DA 70 twin but without knowing the diameter of the cowl, etc. it may not fit without modifications. Yet to be determined if that is an option but it may be a good alternative.

Last edited by Mustang Man; 06-18-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: add comments
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

Horizon Hobby called today and will be shipping my Inverza 62 tomorrow (6/20/14) and it should arrive next week. Can't wait to check it out. Also I received the July Model Aviation magazine and guess what, the Hangar 9 Inverza 62 is on the cover. It is set up as an electric according to the cover page information.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
jclaude
Gettin' Lower!

Hi,

I'm Inverza 33 owner, but I'm very interested to follow this build thread.

Regards,
jclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
3D-Seth
Horizon Hobby Employee

Send a message via Yahoo to 3D-Seth

Quote: Originally Posted by Mustang Man
View Post
I also thought about installing a DA 70 twin but without knowing the diameter of the cowl, etc. it may not fit without modifications. Yet to be determined if that is an option but it may be a good alternative.
For reference, the cowl near where the cylinders would be is approximately 9.7" in diameter (247mm).

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
3D-Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

Quote: Originally Posted by jclaude
View Post
Hi,

I'm Inverza 33 owner, but I'm very interested to follow this build thread.

Regards,
Welcome and please share anything from your Inverza 33 build.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

Quote: Originally Posted by 3D-Seth
View Post
For reference, the cowl near where the cylinders would be is approximately 9.7" in diameter (247mm).

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
Seth: Thanks for the measurement. The dimensions for the DA70 that I printed shows that from top of one cylinder head to the top of the other is 8.57" or 217.8 mm which leaves 30 mm clearance or 15mm from the cowl to each cylinder head. The distance from tip of one plug cap to the other is 10.78" or 273.8 mm which means the cowl would have to be cut out for the plugs and the spark plug caps.

It appears there would be enough room for the cylinders to be inside the cowling but the spark plugs and caps would extend out by 13.4 mm on each side of the cowling. I was thinking if a DA 70 were installed, one could build some fiberglass blisters to cover the plug caps to make the cowl look a little better. Not pretty but maybe be more aerodynamic too. One would have to plan how to install the cowl over the plugs and have access to the spark plugs caps.

I plan to go forward with the Evolution 62 EFI as I am thinking the EFI feature and the price of the Evolution will be the trend setter and a hard to beat combination.

Thanks for the measurements.
Bill

Last edited by Mustang Man; 06-21-2014 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

I was surprised to see the Fedex Truck pull up today with the Inverza 62 in three boxes. Horizon shipped it I guess on 6/19/2014 and I was not expecting it until next week. Unpacking and inspection with pictures to follow. I did ask the Fedex driver to note on the delivery receipt there were several small holes in the boxes. The wind box had some wrinkles on one end which also concerned me.

Now the wait will begin for the Evolution 62 EFI.

Last edited by Mustang Man; 06-21-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling and add comments
Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

Default Unpacking/Inspection H9 Inverza 62

Following are some pictures of first steps before the build starts:

1. Picture of wing box that had wrinkles on the end and I was concerned there could be some damage. After opening the box, the next picture #2, initial inspection did not show any damage; however I have not yet removed all the packing and plastic on the wings and stabs there were in the box as they looked good. It is wise to look for any external damage when a model is delivered, and if possible, have the delivery driver note any external damage on the box. If the damage is bad enough, it would be good to make the driver wait while the box is opened and inspected before the driver leaves if that is possible.

Picture 3 is of the cowl of course, note that the front of the cowl is solid and will require cutting with a dremel tool as part of the building process.

Picture 4 & 5 is the fuselage box as the plane arrived. Everything was well packed and neatly organized. Picture 6 is of all the items that were in the fuselage box removed from the box.

Picture 7 if of the H9 supplied wooden stand-offs for whatever motor one elects to install plus there is a box for mounting an electric motor if electric flight is your thing. In this picture I also found some aluminum standoffs that are the right height and plan to use them instead of the wood blocks to save some weight. That decision will be made when I get the Evolution 62 EFI.

Note the instructions show that the builder must cut away part of the firewall using a template in the back of the manual for the Evolution 62.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised to see is a fuel tank plumbing already installed including the barbs on the brass tubes in the stopper. The tank has three lines installed in the stopper. Normally I replace the yellow tygon tubing that comes with kits built in China as I have found that it gets brittle fairly soon. I replace the outside with Dubro tygon and use the black tubing for inside the fuel tank.
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	653456 50.3 KB · Views: 105

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	653457 60.9 KB · Views: 114

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	653458 79.6 KB · Views: 124

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	653459 93.8 KB · Views: 106

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	653460 91.5 KB · Views: 107

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	653461 89.8 KB · Views: 187

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	653462 130.1 KB · Views: 137

Old 06-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
rlongenecker
Gettin' Lower!

Default Inverza wooden mount

Thank you for the pictures.
How thick are the wooden engine mounting blocks, please?
rlongenecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #10
lou782
3D-a-holic

sub
EF Edge 540T
lou782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

Quote: Originally Posted by rlongenecker
View Post
Thank you for the pictures.
How thick are the wooden engine mounting blocks, please?
The wood mounting blocks are 34mm (1.33") thick and total weight of both pieces is 3.95 oz. The 4 aluminum standoff I have are 33mm thick and weigh 1.76 oz. After I add 4 stainless fender washers they will weigh a little more. The wood standoffs give more mounting surface to the firewall and may serve to dampen vibration some; however, the wood standoffs may require some wood removal to fit any particular engine. The wood is quite hard and shaping the wood per the Inverza 62 build manual (see picture 3 on page 28) may require some extra effort.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
3D-Seth
Horizon Hobby Employee

Send a message via Yahoo to 3D-Seth

Quote: Originally Posted by Mustang Man
View Post
The wood mounting blocks are 34mm (1.33") thick and total weight of both pieces is 3.95 oz. The 4 aluminum standoff I have are 33mm thick and weigh 1.76 oz. After I add 4 stainless fender washers they will weigh a little more. The wood standoffs give more mounting surface to the firewall and may serve to dampen vibration some; however, the wood standoffs may require some wood removal to fit any particular engine. The wood is quite hard and shaping the wood per the Inverza 62 build manual (see picture 3 on page 28) may require some extra effort.
For information purposes, the wood standoffs also help to prevent crushing the wood in the firewall with smaller stand offs as well as to help dampen vibration.

Glad to see customers finally getting their Inverzas!

Seth
3D-Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

Default H9 Inverza 62 Initial Impressions

H9 Inverza 62 initial impressions: After unpacking and looking over the Inverza 62 and reading the manual, here are some observations.

1. A lot has been done for the builder and the build should go fast.
2. It appears the fuselage is set up for both canisters and tuned pipes in addition to the standard Pitts style muffler that comes with the Evolution 62 engine, however, the manual does not show installation the canisters or tuned pipes and very brief on the installation of the Evolution 62.
3. Fuselage has instrument panel installed, but a pilot is an optional purchase if you want one.
4. All of the Ultracote covering is tight on the model I received, which is unusual due to the climate differences where the model is built and where the model ends up.
5. The rudder this time has flat plastic hinges instead of using a thin wire to attach the rudder to the fuselage. The builder has to glue in one side of the rudder hinges to the fuselage to attach the rudder using 30 minute epoxy. I like to glue in the hinges but would have preferred the Robart round hinges had I been able to choose. Big improvement over threading a thin wire that bends like on the H9 Beast & Sukhoi. The best rudder connection of all planes I have built is the H9 QQ Composite Yak54 using a brass tube that is easy to install and is removable.
6. Steering of the tail wheel is achieved by gluing in a tail wheel wire into the rudder then attaching a steel plate to the bottom of the fuselage. I am not particularly fond of the tail wheel as it uses a coil spring and since I have been known to make less then spectacular landings in the past, I like a carbon fiber leaf spring for the tail wheel. Is Graphtec Listening?
7. The wing tube, horizontal stabs tubes (2), and landing gear are all aluminum. Graphtec are you there?
8. I plan to use a different throttle linkage attachment as shown on page 29 picture 7 as I prefer to a more secure method of using ball joints on both ends of the throttle rod and a metal servo arm instead of plastic.

Last of all is a picture of the wings and tail section that I forgot to post on the previous posts.

Overall, this is a nice plane with a lot of thought put into it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	653497 61.7 KB · Views: 91

Last edited by Mustang Man; 06-22-2014 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #14
Mustang Man
Brush Whacker

Default Evolution 62 GXI EFI Engine Initial Impressions

Just finished reading the Evolution 62 GXI manual with the Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system and here are some observations on this exciting new concept in model aviation engines:

1, Be sure to read the entire manual that comes with the engine and follow its suggestions and not what is said here.

2. Clean fuel with no bubbles to the engine is essential. The EFI component will not tolerate dirty fuel or air/foam in the fuel line.

3. The fuel tank requires three lines. One for the engine which has a sintered clunk which comes with the engine as the fuel pickup. The supply line should go directly to the engine and not have an inline filter or a T for fueling the model as this increases the chances of air leaks. One line is for the vent, and the third line attaches to the engine fuel return line which may have a "T" for fueling and defueling the model. The return line should either have a second clunk or be at the back and bottom of the fuel tank to aid in defueling.

In one of the videos a pilot preps the engine by pressing a plastic bulb to prime the EFI system on the engine. At this time I don't know if the bulb primer comes with the engine or if this is an add on by the builder. If a primer plastic bulb is used, then it will have to be between the fuel supply line and the engine.

4. The manual recommends using medium Viton fuel line. Viton fuel line is black and one cannot see if bubbles or air if any does invade the system, so it is a trade off. The Viton line stays put better than Tygon. Perhaps Tygon could be used between the plastic bulb primer and the EFI fuel intake to allow monitoring of the fuel condition.

5. The manual specifies 16mm distance from the center of the throttle servo to the point where the push rod connects to the servo arm. Then a throttle curve is recommended as set forth in the manual.

6. The Electronic Ignition supports RPM telemetry if RPM monitoring is desired.

7. Engine oil is 32:1 for the first gallon, then 40:1 thereafter. There are specific steps in the manual as the proper method to break in the engine, be sure to follow them to protect the warranty which is 2 years.

8. The ignition system, per the manual, specifies a 8.4 volt 2S-LIPO battery with no voltage regulator. I plan to contact HH to find out if a 7.4 volt LION battery will suffice.

The information above may change as I gain more understanding of the Evolution 62 GXI engine, but at this point I am really looking forward in receiving the engine and getting it installed in the Inverza 62.

Last edited by Mustang Man; 06-23-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
rlongenecker
Gettin' Lower!

Thanks for the details, Mustang Man.
The engine manual I downloaded doesn't mention using dino oil for break-in before switching to synthetic.
So, looks like start from the beginning with synthetic oil?
The published weight is on the lighter side. How strong does the construction look?
Does the construction include sheeted foam on the wings (like Carden)?
rlongenecker is offline   Reply With Quote