Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Groundschool: 3D Flying and Aerobatics
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
yakwards
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Default Hovering is evil,damn 3d pilots!

At my field,hovering has now become taboo.We have a grass runway in front of an aspalt runway.They made a rule saying hovering can only be done from the centerline of the asphalt runway & out.That's understandable I guess,however when no one else is on the line hovering can be done on the grass runway,as long as there are no FOG's present.The VP of the club who is a good friend doesn't care where hovering is done,as long as no one else is flying at the same time.I prefer to fly 3d when the line is empty anyway,but last weekend when no one else was out there,I hovered & torque rolled over the grass & asphalt runway & 2 FOG's reminded the vp that I was in violation of the rules.These are the same guys that fly over the flight boxes,by accident of course,make low high speed passes,can't land without striking a prop & both have reattached fingers.Even worse,one guys who loves to complain about 3d was seen making on the middle of the runway with a radar gun,clocking a shoestring at 126mph while the guy flying it was right next to him.The plane was making overhead passes at 126 no more than 6 feet above their heads.If that plane lost control,mechanical/electrical failure it would be skipping in pieces over the runway for 600ft.And the FOG's witnessed that incident & just said,"Wow,that thing is fast man!"Just aint fair.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
exeter_acres
Wine comes in bottles too??

Awards Showcase
FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 1

pretty normal to have a rule like that...
I know our club does.. if you hover.. hover on the far side of the runways......
TEAM FUTABA
exeter_acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
yakwards

No problem with the rule,just bothers me that the rule is subject to change if the FOG's are present.I like the fact that when the line is empty you can do what you want.It's like congress or something,the old guys,who contribute nothing to promote our field or the hobby have the most influence.I've gotten 2 new members to join in the last 4 months & the first time they came out the old dudes started giving the 3rd degree about the club rules,which are the same at any club,general safety.They treat anyone under 40 like they are stupid.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
exeter_acres
Wine comes in bottles too??

Awards Showcase
FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 1

Not sure what you mean about the rule changing...

If the rule is far side of the runway then how does it change?
TEAM FUTABA
exeter_acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
yakwards

If you are the only person flying you can hover on the near side.When another person is flying it's back to the farside,however with a FOG present they insist that it's dangerous on the near side,whether or not anyone else is flying.They are afraid the plane will lose control & come back into the flight box area.BTW,I was hovering a 48'' MXS,not a gasser.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Edgeman 540
Not Active

You have an unfortunate situation on your hands but your club isn't the only one. If your friend is content with 3Ders' hovering over the grass when no one else is flying than maybe it's a subject that should be brought up at a club meeting to get it ironed out.Just make sure when you walk away from the meeting that there are no grey area's on either side and everyone is on the same page.
Another option is when there isn't anyone there F em, hover over the grass and enjoy yourself.
Edgeman 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
yakwards

When the old dudes are'nt there that's what I do.It's only 2 guys that complain.I'll just have to live with it I guess.Another thing I forgot to mention is that when the 3d heli pilots are out they damn well hover & do anything they want on the near side of the runway,no one says anything at all,now that aint fair.I've seen a heli break a part & blades slinging out like swords,but somewhow that's not as dangerous as a 3d plane in a steady hover.One guy used to own a hobby shop & was overpriced & a real ahole,terrible to deal with.He lost his store cause Hobby Town was cheaper & has been bitter eversince.They all seem to treat him special cause he used to be somebody.The guy can't even land a 40 size glowplane without smaking the prop in the grass.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID

Its all about being respectful to each other, every club has that guy or group of guys that will cause problems no matter what the issue may be. Its human nature at its worst. I just ignore it mostly. Keeps the peace.
vmceachern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
yakwards

Thank God I can vent here instead of at the field.I don't say a word when this stuff happens.I just try & get out there early & get my hardcore huckin in.Your right,keeping the peace is the most important thing.Although sometimes hard to do,I always respect my elders.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
yakwards

Me being an ahole,with no one on the flight line I might add.
<<
>>

( 12 / 20 )
Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
parpar1
Fast can be bad

Quote: Originally Posted by yakwards
View Post
No problem with the rule,just bothers me that the rule is subject to change if the FOG's are present.I like the fact that when the line is empty you can do what you want.It's like congress or something,the old guys,who contribute nothing to promote our field or the hobby have the most influence.I've gotten 2 new members to join in the last 4 months & the first time they came out the old dudes started giving the 3rd degree about the club rules,which are the same at any club,general safety.They treat anyone under 40 like they are stupid.

Being a club safety officer i have learned everyone is stupid. And it is a necessary evil to go over the rules with the new guys and a lot of the time the old guys too. And no, not all clubs have the same rules.. Young and old all catch 5hit for breaking them. Some are just more vocal then others.

I love the guys that think they know everything. I love it when they break rules and when i go to warn them / pull their badge they claim they never knew that was a rule. But just weeks before they claimed to know every rule. Yes i fly 3D. 100cc yak.

Just trying to throw a little reality in here.

How many feet wide is the grass runway or should i ask how far away is the center line of the asphalt. We have to hover / 3D about 60 feet out from the pilot stations, just on the other side of our runway. That feels pretty close to the pits and is just far enough away that if something fails it usually does not come back into the pits.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
yakwards

centerline of the asphalt is about 70ft,grass runway is about 50ft wide.I think the problem at my club is there are only 3 of us that fly 3d.For years it's always been back & forth as fast as possible.Some people don't like change I guess,however change is inevitable.Nothing stays the same,well almost nothing.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
Ryan Smith

yakwards,

Do you by chance know Norman Hayes? He is a good friend of mine's brother. We came up last year for the IMAC contest at your field and stayed with him. You guys have a very nice field up there.
Ryan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
JoeAirPort
Obsessed

All 3D stuff has to be done past the center line of the field at our club. No problem for me. I'm probably the lowest flyer there. You have to fly at other people's comfort level to fly with other people. It's just the nature of the beast. The other solution is to get your own field and fly alone but that's no fun.
JoeAirPort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
yakwards

Quote: Originally Posted by BreadBowl
View Post
yakwards,

Do you by chance know Norman Hayes? He is a good friend of mine's brother. We came up last year for the IMAC contest at your field and stayed with him. You guys have a very nice field up there.
Name sounds familiar but I can't say I know him