Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Groundschool: 3D Flying and Aerobatics
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
towman208
Gettin' Lower!

Default rolling harriers

Just want to throw this out there, something fresh to chew on. I have been rolling left for sometime now. So I've been practicing rolling right on the sim, then when I get to the field and start rolling left I get all mixed up and confused. After a bit I settle in and my left rollers are back!
towman208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
BOSSIER_ROB
Just Here For The Comments

Time and practice. It takes a bit of both to get comfortable rolling both directions. Keep at it.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
JoeAirPort
Obsessed

Same here but opposite. I started out doing right rolling harriers and left is weird for me. We just gotta stay at it and keep practicing. It's unnerving knowing how to do so well one way and almost crashing the other.
JoeAirPort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
towman208
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by JoeAirPort
View Post
Same here but opposite. I started out doing right rolling harriers and left is weird for me. We just gotta stay at it and keep practicing. It's unnerving knowing how to do so well one way and almost crashing the other.
I hear that! I fly em so much on the sim, my hands start to hurt. haha
towman208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
JoeAirPort
Obsessed

Quote: Originally Posted by towman208
View Post
I hear that! I fly em so much on the sim, my hands start to hurt. haha
Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking after I last posted that I should have mentioned to keep practicing on the sim. That's what I should be doing too. After I got it burned in on the sim, then to the field. Inverted harriers are another goal of mine. I better go practice.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
f5air
Fly it....fly it.

i dont remember i saw a post of a 3D master invested like 400 hours on the sim to get perfect rolling harriers.....lol
- FUTABA 12Z
Fly it like it's stolen
f5air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?

Quote: Originally Posted by JoeAirPort
View Post
Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking after I last posted that I should have mentioned to keep practicing on the sim. That's what I should be doing too. After I got it burned in on the sim, then to the field. Inverted harriers are another goal of mine. I better go practice.
Joe, here's a trix that helped me with inverted harriers. When the nose of the plane is facing you streer the nose. When it passes you or you're looking at the tail steer the tail. This helped me and it may help you. Good luck

scott m lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Mithrandir
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Practice left and right.... 2 left, 2 right, 2 left, 2 right etc etc etc....

If you make the reversal at Knife Edge.. it is a little easier...well.. the plane responds a little more positively... if you change directions wing level.. it is a little less positive and sluggish...
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
JoeAirPort
Obsessed

Quote: Originally Posted by scott m lyons
View Post
Joe, here's a trix that helped me with inverted harriers. When the nose of the plane is facing you streer the nose. When it passes you or you're looking at the tail steer the tail. This helped me and it may help you. Good luck
Gotcha. I'll try that thanks.

One thing I learned about all this stuff is that it's just practice....and lots of it. Seems like I'm a little lazy these days. I just keep doing things I already know.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
f5air
Fly it....fly it.

the good thing on inverted harrier is that i did fly helis before...so is almost the same...about how do you think on tail movement.
- FUTABA 12Z
Fly it like it's stolen
f5air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Brian yak dude
3W Motor Magic

This is the one place I would say SIM SIM SIM!

This kind of thing has to be the death of most 3D OH cant say that word! Hours on this sim helps a lot with the rolling harrier.

One way is to get back to good ole precision rolling left rolling right etc. Rolling circles left and right.

Just an idea
http://powermasterfuels.com/
Brian yak dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
Liad
Flyin' Around

In my opinion on how to learn rolling harrier is just to perform alot of slow rolls.
Think about it, its almost the same, same movements just slower .

Well, in the past I just tried again and again the rolling harrier non stop for about 2 month till I get it
but I think slow rolls are good way to understand the rolling harrier.

Trying again and again rolling harrier in high altitude may get you booring
so you can make some rolling loops, even you dont know how to that,
the rolling loops are the best way to know if you got it, to know if you know how to control the plane on right/left rolling.

What im trying to say just keep rolling right in every maneuver you know and one day you will master them all
Liad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
JoeAirPort
Obsessed

Quote: Originally Posted by Brian yak dude
View Post
This is the one place I would say SIM SIM SIM!

This kind of thing has to be the death of most 3D OH cant say that word! Hours on this sim helps a lot with the rolling harrier.
This is what I started doing when I saw this thread. I started to practice rolling the "uncomfortable" way on the sim. I'm actually to the point that I don't know if I'm rolling the way I'm good at or the opposite now. It feels comfortable rolling both ways now. It's just not as axial as my normal way. Now I gotta start doing them on the real planes. So I agree with your 1st sentence for sure.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
trigger71
Flyin' Around

whats the best way to set up the plane for rolling harriers do you use full 3d throws.
trigger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
husker
Riley O'Brien

Quote: Originally Posted by trigger71
View Post
whats the best way to set up the plane for rolling harriers do you use full 3d throws.
It is personal preference mostly. Once people learn them they tend to prefer high rates. It is sometimes easier to learn with less aileron throw since the hard part is keeping the nose up and low nose=faster roll which in turn causes the manuever to be really hard to learn with high rate ailerons(for some people). I think most would agree that elevator and rudder should be 45 degrees or more.
husker is offline   Reply With Quote