logo
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 PM
plydrms is offline
Find More Posts by plydrms
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
KM, how did you ever come up with that cool diagram?
plydrms is offline Find More Posts by plydrms
Last edited by plydrms; 01-31-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
plydrms is offline
Find More Posts by plydrms
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
KM, how did you ever come up with that cool diagram? It looks like an engineer drew it. I have been studying the inputs. It looks like every elevator/rudder deflection is helping to turn the plane. I guess the hits at the 45deg angles give a component of turn and help keep the nose up..??
plydrms is offline Find More Posts by plydrms
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
T_Simatovic is offline
Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Poor Gimbals
T_Simatovic's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
3,758 Posts
i cant think of it like that, my mind goes nuts... i think of it as a constant steady stick pattern. lets say im doing rolling harriers to the right. in order to turn right while rolling, i slow the speed of the pattern down and make the inputs larger. to turn left, i do the same, just speed up instead of slow down.
T_Simatovic is offline Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM
theKM is offline
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plydrms View Post
KM, how did you ever come up with that cool diagram? It looks like an engineer drew it. I have been studying the inputs. It looks like every elevator/rudder deflection is helping to turn the plane. I guess the hits at the 45deg angles give a component of turn and help keep the nose up..??
I drew it in photoshop. but ya, the diagram shows the "ideal" input of where you'll get with practice. there's little tricks you can do to help along the way, but this is the end goal. Commonly, people will choose a primary input (for me it was elevator) and they control the direction with that, and then try and halve the input timing on this primary control with the input of the other... so I'd control where the plane was going with the elevator and then try and half whatever that timing was with my rudder changes. with enough practice, over time you'll just naturally steer the plane with both tail surfaces without needing to wait for something to line up with your primary input...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM
theKM is offline
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomascratchbuild View Post
i cant think of it like that, my mind goes nuts... i think of it as a constant steady stick pattern. lets say im doing rolling harriers to the right. in order to turn right while rolling, i slow the speed of the pattern down and make the inputs larger. to turn left, i do the same, just speed up instead of slow down.
...you're right, it's just about the timing on the pattern, but most people don't understand the stick pattern of what they want to do. The diagram is there to help them basically figure out the stick pattern...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 PM
T_Simatovic is offline
Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Poor Gimbals
T_Simatovic's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
...you're right, it's just about the timing on the pattern, but most people don't understand the stick pattern of what they want to do. The diagram is there to help them basically figure out the stick pattern...

oh believe me, it makes so much sense its incredible... hats off to you, it was very well done!
T_Simatovic is offline Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Huckin Chuck is offline
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Registered User
Huckin Chuck's Avatar
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,275 Posts
Ill try to make a sim vid tonight for ya. In slo-mo i can control my inputs for rolling rright turning right, and i dont have to reverse rudder or anything. But as soon as i go "full-mo" i get all mixed up. Ill try it some more tonight.
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
plydrms is offline
Find More Posts by plydrms
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
KM, thanks a lot. You're diagram is such a good reference tool. I start out a session on 50% rate to check my inputs. Then I try 100% for awhile to check the progress. I usually have to go back to 50% after that for more refinement. Then I start to over-think instead of just letting her flow. Now, everybody always says the inputs are the same as the slow roll. That's only for a non-turning slow roll, right? Technically speaking, are the inputs for a rolling circle the same as your photoshop diagram?
-Rob
plydrms is offline Find More Posts by plydrms
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 AM
BOSSIER_ROB is online now
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Just Here For The Comments
BOSSIER_ROB's Avatar
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plydrms View Post
KM, thanks a lot. You're diagram is such a good reference tool. I start out a session on 50% rate to check my inputs. Then I try 100% for awhile to check the progress. I usually have to go back to 50% after that for more refinement. Then I start to over-think instead of just letting her flow. Now, everybody always says the inputs are the same as the slow roll. That's only for a non-turning slow roll, right? Technically speaking, are the inputs for a rolling circle the same as your photoshop diagram?
-Rob
The inputs are the same for turning in a slow roll as well. It just takes more to keep the nose up in a harrier roll.
BOSSIER_ROB is online now Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM
William Storzuk is offline
Find More Posts by William Storzuk
Live to Fly Another Day
William Storzuk's Avatar
Joined Apr 2006
326 Posts
The movement on the sticks is all about timing. It's like tapping your head and rolling your stomach at the same time. You are asking your brain to do, two complete opposite movementsIt's all about PRACTICE AND TIMING and for me 2 yrs
William Storzuk is offline Find More Posts by William Storzuk
Last edited by William Storzuk; 02-01-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
plydrms is offline
Find More Posts by plydrms
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Thanks, Rob. I guess that you just have to keep grinding it out. It seems like the answer is stick time!
plydrms is offline Find More Posts by plydrms
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
BOSSIER_ROB is online now
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Just Here For The Comments
BOSSIER_ROB's Avatar
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plydrms View Post
Thanks, Rob. I guess that you just have to keep grinding it out. It seems like the answer is stick time!
You got it. Many many hours of practice. Frustrating as hell at times, but definitely the key. It'll seem like you'll never get it, then all of a sudden something works right and it clicks. Once that happens, the rest gets easier to grasp. You know the fundamentals and have a good understanding of the stick inputs. Making it all work right is dependent on how much time you put into practice. You're on your way. Just stay at it.
BOSSIER_ROB is online now Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Phil Griffin is online now
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
Phil Griffin's Avatar
Mountain Brook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2008
7,122 Posts
I'm enjoying following along with this thread. I've finally come to my senses and started doing most of my roller practice with decent foamies instead of multi-thousand dollar planes. On rare occasions I can get a decent roll going, but haven't come near to figuring out how to make it go where I want it to go. It'll come with time though I'm sure. When I first started flying, the same thing happened. I just concentrated on keeping the darn thing in the air, and it mostly went where it wanted to. Now of course, steering comes easily. I'm just having fun with the learning process, and when I'm able to get a nice roll going, I just let it go and try to keep it going. I know that the finer control will come with time.
Phil Griffin is online now Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
William Storzuk is offline
Find More Posts by William Storzuk
Live to Fly Another Day
William Storzuk's Avatar
Joined Apr 2006
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
I'm enjoying following along with this thread. I've finally come to my senses and started doing most of my roller practice with decent foamies instead of multi-thousand dollar planes. On rare occasions I can get a decent roll going, but haven't come near to figuring out how to make it go where I want it to go. It'll come with time though I'm sure. When I first started flying, the same thing happened. I just concentrated on keeping the darn thing in the air, and it mostly went where it wanted to. Now of course, steering comes easily. I'm just having fun with the learning process, and when I'm able to get a nice roll going, I just let it go and try to keep it going. I know that the finer control will come with time.
Hey! Phil, I am 47 yrs old and find it much longer and harder to learn 3D manuvers. Also, i feel little more cautious with my thousand dollar planes.
William Storzuk is offline Find More Posts by William Storzuk
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 PM
plydrms is offline
Find More Posts by plydrms
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Me too. I just joined the forum and all this experience out here has really inspired me to practice. I feel like there is an instructor pilot in my living room..ha. Understanding the aerodynamics is good. I really have to break stuff down before I can apply it. But like Rob said, it all comes down to coordinating that stick timing. It's happening too fast to think about it. It's like ground hog day with every sim session. I have to review the inputs again. I'm trying not to think of the tail surfaces being used to hold up the nose. Somebody else described it as "steering" the nose around. This seems to be a better way to visualize the turning. It's more of a struggle to just focus on keeping the nose from falling. It's like your whole mission is to just limp it around 1 time without stuffing it!
plydrms is offline Find More Posts by plydrms
Reply With Quote



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools