Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,071 Posts
Discussion
2011 KING 50 - Who Is The Next 3D Star?

Hey guys, HERE WE GO!!

The 2011 KING 50 3D Supremacy!!

We are a little over a month away from the newest, most exciting 3D-only contest in the world!
The KING 50!

If you are the MAN at your local field, and you think you are the next 3D Star, then this is the 3D contest for you! Last year Joe Smith came out and rocked the house with some hard-core, on the deck, 3D action! Joe scored just a few more points than RJ Gritter and took home the gold!

Since then, Joe Smith has become a 3D household name, and our second place finisher RJ Gritter has gone on to model for GQ and other manly-man magazines. Congrats to both! Will we see them return to try and take the crown this year, we shall soon find out!

SO again let me ask you.... are you THE MAN? PROVE IT!
This is your chance to show a few of the industries biggest 3D proponents just how good you are! Ben Fisher form 3DHS will be in the house as well as Chris Hinson from Extreme Flight RC. You could not ask for a better audience to perform for!

We are currently finalizing the prizes for the 2011 King 50, but you can be assured that there will be CASH and goodies for the top three pilots! (And I think some goodies for the remaining top 10 finishers as well!)

Here are the rules for the contest again:

The KING 50 will take place during the 2011 Ohio Huckfest. August 25th - 28th.

KING 50
Eligible aircraft - Dry weight between 10 lbs. and 20 lbs. Any design. Gas - 63CC max. Electric power allowed. Weight will be verified with scale at event.

Eligible pilots - Any pilot who has NOT flown in the invitational freestyle class at Tucson or Clover Creek.

Contest: Two days of qualifying available. Pilots can only choose one day. Pilots get one flight to Qualify. The top 10 pilots move to the final round.

Final round: One flight per contestant. Top score wins. Flying order chosen randomly.
(Qualifying will be held starting at 10am on Thursday Aug 25th, and Friday Aug 26th make sure you can be there at one of those times.)

2:00 minutes allowed for engine start. If no-start, pilot is moved down to next spot in flight order.

Music to be started by event crew when signaled by caller.

Ground start required.

Flight to last 3 minutes. Flight to be accompanied by music track. See music notes below.

In case of inclement weather, event staff may elect to postpone event as needed.

One PROP (such a streamer between two poles) is allowed. However, it needs to be set up on the field during the 2 minutes startup window.

No persons are allowed on the field during the flight. Pilot and caller must remain behind a safety line established by event staff.
Judging criteria:

1. Pilot must land on wheels at end of flight to be scored. Landing before music ends ("giving up") or landing on other parts of airplane besides wheels ("crashing") before or at end of music means flight is not officially scored and the pilot receives a zero. "Landing on wheels" means that plane, when it stops moving, is resting on at least 2 wheels. Amount of damage is not important if plane is resting on at least two wheels. For example, a one-wing landing would be scored if the plane ends up on the main wheels at the end.

2. Flight to be scored 0-100 points.

3. Point values
25 points - 3D WOW factor. Awarded for low, extreme 3D maneuvers that are in-time with music and WOW the crowd.

25 points - Precision factor. Awarded for clean, precise, recognizable, and challenging precision maneuvers flown in-time with music.

25 points - Artistry. Awarded for interpretation of the music to produce a truly choreographed flight, maneuvers match the tone of the music.

25 points - Showmanship. Use of smoke or streamers, inventiveness with new maneuvers, inventive music mix, drama. Putting on the best show in the air.

The spirit of this criteria is this: The winning flight should include both low 3D maneuvers and classic precision maneuvers flown well, demonstrating a wide range of maneuvers known by the pilot, set to a music mix that allows the pilot to show variety while matching the changing tone and mood of the music track, and should be focused on providing a great exhibition for the crowd.

TIE - In case of a tie for 1 st place, the top two pilots will be required to each fly one additional flight to their music mix in a "fly-off". High score wins.

Music notes:

1.Each pilot must provide their own music mix.

2.Each music mix should be 3:00 minutes.

3.Mix is to be provided upon request by pilot to event staff on a CD. (having spare CD's is highly recommended!)

4. Music CD is to be clearly marked - KING 50 - Pilot's Name (Example: KING 50 - Stephen Cinch )

5.Music mix should be appropriate for a spectator event, and not include any "R" rated content. If unsure that your mix is appropriate, please contact event staff prior to the event for clarification.

6.It is highly recommended that the music mix include a variety of musical styles, and not be all of one type of music. This will help to make for a flight with good variety.

Again, I'd like to thank our KING 50 sponsors, thank you for helping a truly great contest take shape!
If your in the market for planes, motors or a simulator, make sure to remember who gives back to your hobby!
www.flyinggiants.com
3DHobbyshop
Extreme Flight RC
Desert Aircraft

And as always we would like to give a HUGE THANK YOU to the 2011 Flyinggiants.com Huckfest Tour Title Sponsor 3DHobbyShop.com. Ben and the boys from 3DHS have been on board with the Huckfest series in a major way, and also make some of the BEST 3D airplanes available anywhere! Ben is probably driving home right now, so I say, have a safe trip Ben, and THANKS AGAIN!

So make sure to check out www.3dhobbyshop.com for all Ben's amazing planes!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Last edited by SleepyC; 07-06-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,071 Posts
If you plan to compete in the 2011 FG/EF/3DHS KING 50 Contest, then PLEASE get your registration in ASAP!

Please fill out the attached form below, and email it to me at sleepyc@flyinggiants.com.

Attached is a pdf, and a word doc.
(Please just copy the text into an email, and fill in the blanks. I'd like to keep the registrations all digital!)

PLEASE MAKE THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL READ "KING 50 REGISTRATION" OR YOUR ENTRY MAY NOT BE SEEN.

A $50 CASH Registration fee will be collected at the field prior to qualifying.
(Every cent of this money will go toward the prize money that same weekend.)
Last edited by SleepyC; 07-14-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,071 Posts
ALSO... for all you speed demons.. Ben Fisher and I are working up a really cool, fairly inexpensive, extremely fun racing program for this show. SO GET READY for THAT ANNOUNCEMENT later this week!!

AND FINALLY.. for anybody that is considering attending the 2011 Ohio Huckfest... not only do you get to attend the 6th year of the Ohio Huckfest, not only do you get to see the King 50 and the soon to be announced racing series, you have a chance to win these! OHIO HUCKFEST RAFFLE PRIZES!

It's a no brainer.. we will see you there!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by TailDragger78
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
The Ohio Huckfest is in what city?
TailDragger78 is offline Find More Posts by TailDragger78
Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,071 Posts
OHIO HUCKFEST INFO HERE!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,744 Posts
so, can we also have a spiel/rule about when the timer starts in accordance to the music. Last year it was said to be three minutes of music, time starts when the music does. Some put in some sound track to play before take off and before the timer starts and on the day it was changed so that the timer started whenever the wheels lifted off.

...clarification on this would be cool for this year. so, timer starts when the wheels lift off?...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,071 Posts
YES.. this is the defacto ruling on that.. WHEELS OFF = Timer starts.

Thanks for pointing that out.

That being said.. if your intro is TOO long, that can hurt you in points.. just saying...

BUT something creative that is 20 seconds long could be cool.

This was AWESOME at the 2011 XFC...
YouTube - ‪Bobby Watts - XFC...
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by hugocraft
Aerobatic Addict
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jun 2008
300 Posts
I have a 1/4 scale 30cc 3dhs slick which I think is 9.5lbs dry so I guess technically I can't use it or can I?
hugocraft is offline Find More Posts by hugocraft
Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
I have a 1/4 scale 30cc 3dhs slick which I think is 9.5lbs dry so I guess technically I can't use it or can I?
Read the rules:
Eligible aircraft - Dry weight between 10 lbs. and 20 lbs. Any design. Gas - 63CC max. Electric power allowed. Weight will be verified with scale at event.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by hpapilot
Wah wah wee wah!!
Greensboro, NC
Joined Mar 2006
1,769 Posts
I'm sure we can find 8oz of lead to make it fit... as long as it's not 20.5lbs 'cause I'm all out of helium!
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,071 Posts
I say add 1lb of rockets.. that would work!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by hpapilot
Wah wah wee wah!!
Greensboro, NC
Joined Mar 2006
1,769 Posts
True dat!

I've put in a request for time off from my busy magazine modelling career... if they give me the week off, I'll be there!
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Aerobatic Addict
Joined Jun 2008
300 Posts
I read the rules but was implying it should be 9lbs or greater since the sponsor 3dhs has a couple 68-72" class planes gas or electric that start off at that weight.

But I'm going to weigh the plane DRY when I get a chance

I'm not trying to start anything but the 30cc is the largest I have
Last edited by hugocraft; 07-06-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,744 Posts
Chris Thorpe flew a 71" Slick last year, it was a half oz over 10lbs... the plane is fine at that weight
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Aerobatic Addict
Joined Jun 2008
300 Posts
mine might be right at 10lbs because I haven't weighed it since I took the stock muffler off and put the pitts on.

I could always make the battery packs larger