Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
rtn9105
Flyin' Around

Default Servo extension and Y-harness question

I'm installing servos in a H9 33% Cap. This plane uses two servos for each aileron, one servo on each elevator half, and two servos on the rudder.
My question is do you guys recommend using a Y-harness for the two aileron servos in each wing half or do you plug each servo into the receiver then program mixes for everything?
I'll be running everything through an I4C power isolator and I'm using Hitec digitals on all surfaces. I will also be using the Hitec programmer to set up each servo so I could even use a Y-harness for the two elevator servos but I've been told that the Y-harness isn't a good idea due to current draw of the digital servos.
rtn9105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
ashtek
Fly it, like you stole it ;o)

Send a message via MSN to ashtek Send a message via Yahoo to ashtek Send a message via Skype™ to ashtek
Default Re: Servo extension and Y-harness question

i would mix, if i was you.

The same prinicle on y-leads on the back end also apply on the alierons

http://www.ashtekelectronics.com
He who asks is a fool for 5 minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
ashtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
ShortBus
Workin' the pole

Awards Showcase
Brass Balls Award: For having sack.. - Issue reason: For having the SACK to photochop two of the most respected names in the hobby into precarious photographs. See http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90555 The GPTPDSST Award: The Gay Pride Triple Platinum Diamond Studded Steaming Faberge Turd Award. - Issue reason: GPTPDSST Award recieved photochopping the site admin. The Golden Turd: A time honored tradition. Awarded to members who are deserving of ridicule for their antics in the community forums. - Issue reason: Jon receives this award for disgracing a photo of a staff member. Please see: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21116#post21116 
Total Awards: 3
Send a message via AIM to ShortBus

Use mixes to set up the servos.

By using a y harness the 2 servos connected to it will not get as strong of a signal as one that is connected dircetly to the i4c
ShortBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Hoosier06
Super Contributor

Been using Y's on the aileron servos on the Hanger 9 Cap. Sukhoi and both of their Extra's. Also have the same on a 40% Edge. I used 5945's and never had a problem. But in the end it is what ever makes you feel good about your set ups. Just wanted you to know it works. However, I am not one to really push a plane with heavy 3D stuff.
Hoosier06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Bunky F. Knuckle
I'm done!!! Your loss!

I have "Y" harnesses on my ailerons and rudder servos in my 35% Carden. No losses there!!!! I even use the i4c Products stuff. But even before I used i4c, I was plugging direct. I never saw a bit of power loss. Your setup will be fine!!!

If you are using a JR 10 SX2 or X version, plug the ele. servos into ch.3 and ch.8. Then activate DUAL ELE and set travels. Anyother radio than the 10SX2 or X uses mixes to setup elevators!!!

Bunk~

Proudly sponsored by www.buddyrc.com
www.taildraggerrc.com
Bunky F. Knuckle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Dr. Yankem
Doo It! Doo It!

It probably wont be an issue with the Y's with servos on each wing. The voltage drop would be minimal, but from my experience with my 42% ultimate, when I tried using 2 servos in each wing with a Y, then Y'd top and bottom for right side and left, I had significant blow back on the ailerons from the drop in voltage.
Then switched to Smartfly power box and bypassed the Y's and there was no blowback or drop in voltage as measured on the onboard I4C meter.
Jerry
Dr. Yankem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Breakstuff5050
SMACKING THE BEVEL!!!

I have ALWAYS used Y harnesses on ailerons with my big birds, currently i have 33% and a 40% and I havent had any trouble at all. But i like mixing my elevator halfs, if you have a 10X you can setup point mixes with the radio and have each half absolutley perfect! But thats just me.

*uck it, just huck it

www.jtecrc.com
Breakstuff5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
tkilwein
Super Contributor

I have a monitor in line and with 6 HS5955TG's aileron and elevator, current draw is 2 to 8-9 amps @ 5.8v when moving small to full travel on the surfaces.
AW 36% katana.

With the Y I could not run the 5955 servos, the 149 pcm rx would not output a correct level to both servos. This is a known issue with the 149 RX and HS5955 in a Y setup. Some servos require more source-sink current than others. Some of the RX's have a resistor inline to the servo signal lines. Hitec has a mod to the servos but you have to send them in.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2269.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	15759 503.8 KB · Views: 87

• Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2267.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	726.7 KB
ID:	15760 726.7 KB · Views: 56

tkilwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Jaybird
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I run Y's on my wings but I would mix the elevators so you can fine tune them. You will love that plane!
Jaybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:05 AM   #10
rtn9105
Flyin' Around

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to run dual receivers with the I4C isolator, that way I can still get redundancy on the batteries that power the servos plus I won't need to do any extra mixes other than the flaperon mix for the ailerons or use any Y-harnesses. Now that's a Win Win

Jaybird, I see you have this plane as your avitar. Is there anything I should know about it before the maiden? Any bad habbits?
rtn9105 is offline   Reply With Quote