Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Industry Connection > FlyingGiants Sponsored Technical Support > Smart-Fly Support
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
3daviator
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Good Work Scott, but what's with the avatar? I hope that's not your kid. Mine just got in BIG trouble for swearing

Authentic deans or copy? I got some of the aftermarket deans clones once and when I opened them I tossed them, the metal was oxidized or something right out of the bag.

Save a Kid today !!

http://www.generationrescue.org/resources/vaccination/
3daviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?

If you solder the wires to the connector with the male side connected , it will move the tabs in the female side just so. I had deans do this and went to the aftermarket ones and they worked great. I believe it was do to the way I was soldering them like mensioned before.

scott m lyons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?

Quote: Originally Posted by 3daviator
View Post
Good Work Scott, but what's with the avatar? I hope that's not your kid. Mine just got in BIG trouble for swearing

Authentic deans or copy? I got some of the aftermarket deans clones once and when I opened them I tossed them, the metal was oxidized or something right out of the bag.
LOL ! NAA just a picture I found online that makes me crackup every time I see it.

scott m lyons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
3daviator
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by scott m lyons
View Post
LOL ! NAA just a picture I found online that makes me crackup every time I see it.

Save a Kid today !!

http://www.generationrescue.org/resources/vaccination/
3daviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
jonathanmanopla
Super Contributor

So MORE than 6.5v on the EQ6 its Not safe to Use??

thanks

Next EF YAK 54 91"
jonathanmanopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
boggintuff
Sigh...really?

Its not unsafe....everything gets regulated down to that via the EQ6.
boggintuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by jonathanmanopla
View Post
So MORE than 6.5v on the EQ6 its Not safe to Use??

thanks
The Eq6 servo regulator is adjustable over he range 5.5V-6.6V. The battery inputs can handle up to 8.5V.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #23
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by off2fly
View Post
Mr.Ritchie,and all,thanks for the help.It was a bad connection on Deans plug .It looks fine and I can't find anything wrong with it,nice and shiny,Must be oxidized or something.anyway if you move it the led's flash on either side you plug it in and the other battery works fine either side. Wonder if puting de-ox or something like that would help keep a better connection?I know we use it on electrical gear....
I believe the EC3 connectors might be a better design.. Thanks,Vann
Actually the EC3s really are not. We are working on a custom Traxxis type board mount connector for our units that we hope to start using around the end of the year on new units. The Traxxis are used in RC cars and get rave reviews. Knock-off Deans are something to stay away from. Also, you need a VERY hot iron so you can melt the solder on the wire to the pin in under 2 seconds and remove the heat. You should not use low wattage irons. This is very important because the Deans plastic can deform and even the leaf-springs cannot help that.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
off2fly
Uber Contributor

I bet most of your problems come from Dean's issues,Do you think it would be a bad idea to add a little de-ox to the blades on the dean connector? Thanks so much for the help,heard you had best customer service in the business!
Quote: Originally Posted by rrritchey
View Post
Actually the EC3s really are not. We are working on a custom Traxxis type board mount connector for our units that we hope to start using around the end of the year on new units. The Traxxis are used in RC cars and get rave reviews. Knock-off Deans are something to stay away from. Also, you need a VERY hot iron so you can melt the solder on the wire to the pin in under 2 seconds and remove the heat. You should not use low wattage irons. This is very important because the Deans plastic can deform and even the leaf-springs cannot help that.
off2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
rrritchey
Super Contributor

View Post
I bet most of your problems come from Dean's issues,Do you think it would be a bad idea to add a little de-ox to the blades on the dean connector? Thanks so much for the help,heard you had best customer service in the business!
Hi, actually I have very few issues with the Deans UltraPlugs. I am not familiar with De-Ox so I don't know exactly how it works. We honestly do not have oxidation issues with REAL Deans UltraPlugs. Typically I see Deans UltraPlugs give reliable service for 4-5 years with no maintenance what so ever.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #26
off2fly
Uber Contributor

Okay,thanks,the ones i was using were probably 5 years old,I cut them off some old fromeco batteries.Thanks,Vann
Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #27
rrritchey
Super Contributor

View Post
Okay,thanks,the ones i was using were probably 5 years old,I cut them off some old fromeco batteries.Thanks,Vann
Everything can only be used so long. I think that is something people in this hobby don't really think about, they reuse everything practically till it fails. All electronics and mechanical interconnects actually do age. The electric fields and heat age the ICs in transmitters and receivers. Think of how many VCRs, DVDs or TVs last more than 7-10 years. Connector surfaces do oxidize. The gold on the surface of connectors is actually meant to kind of "blend" at the mating point to create a seal that keeps oxygen out. A crimp done right does the same thing. But all these things age and should be replaced after a number of years.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #28
off2fly
Uber Contributor

your exactly right,I just got lazy and figured since I never plugged/un plugged they would be fine. Me wrong! Thanks , Vann