Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #451
gapple12
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
View Post
Yeap, it looks like you'll be doing extra sanding, but you should be OK,,

typical procedure is to lay down the fist coat thin to stick the glass to the part, then second coat fills the weave,, that one float looks like both coats have been applied partially. Just lay down the #2 coat sparingly and get ready to sand.

Sometimes when you do thin the epoxy it will make it "go off" quicker,, Those are pretty big,, I probably would have done one at a time.

good luck
Thanks for the reply, Ive just spent the last three hours sanding them, came out just fine.
gapple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #452
sherman89

Quote: Originally Posted by gapple12
View Post
Thanks for the reply, Ive just spent the last three hours sanding them, came out just fine.

Weigh each float a put the heavy one on the right side.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #453
gapple12

Quote: Originally Posted by sherman89
View Post
Weigh each float a put the heavy one on the right side.
Why the right ?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #454
sherman89

The planes tend to be torqued to the left by the prop, the heavier float on the right will help to offset it. Obviously you should try and get the floats to be the same weight but if not I recommend the heavy one on the right side. When I am taking off in a full scale float plane from glassy water(no wind) I always pull my left float----when I can hold the left float out of the water then I know that the plane will fly when I pull the right one out.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #455
gapple12

Quote: Originally Posted by sherman89
View Post
The planes tend to be torqued to the left by the prop, the heavier float on the right will help to offset it. Obviously you should try and get the floats to be the same weight but if not I recommend the heavy one on the right side. When I am taking off in a full scale float plane from glassy water(no wind) I always pull my left float----when I can hold the left float out of the water then I know that the plane will fly when I pull the right one out.

I didn't think of that, great info there. Makes complete sense. I sanded both floats last night and there only off by 1/4 ounce. I think I will try to get them the same weight, but one will be heavier since I'm using one rudder, which will go on the right side. Thanks Sherman Hope to be priming and painting them this weekend, weather permitting.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #456
sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Official FG Bad Ass!: Hand selected award for being a BAD-ASS member, and an awesome dude in general. - Issue reason: For helping put on the 2007 FlyingGiants Las Vegas Huckfest, and being an essential friend of The Giants! 
Total Awards: 2

I'm just gonna send Sherman my floats to finish (for free). They'll get done fo' sure if I do that.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem." ...Ronald Reagan
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #457
sherman89

Quote: Originally Posted by sweetpea
View Post
I'm just gonna send Sherman my floats to finish (for free). They'll get done fo' sure if I do that.
Come on Sweetpea-----you know nothin' is free anymore!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #458
sweetpea

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Official FG Bad Ass!: Hand selected award for being a BAD-ASS member, and an awesome dude in general. - Issue reason: For helping put on the 2007 FlyingGiants Las Vegas Huckfest, and being an essential friend of The Giants! 

I'll pay shipping

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem." ...Ronald Reagan
Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #459
gapple12

View Post
What floats you building SWEETPEA ?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #460
sherman89

View Post
I'll pay shipping
That's a statrt!!!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #461
psheffield
Flyin' Around

Here is my Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee 40 on Hanger 9 40 size floats and Saito 82a for power .
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	pawnee on floats.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	450127 63.7 KB · Views: 51

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Pauls pics 347.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	450129 99.9 KB · Views: 60

psheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #462
sweetpea

Awards Showcase

Quote: Originally Posted by gapple12
View Post
What floats you building SWEETPEA ?
I've got some 1/3 scale floats for my World Models Clipped Cub. Balsa covered foam right now. I'm going to fiberglass them.......eventually

Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #463
gapple12

View Post
I've got some 1/3 scale floats for my World Models Clipped Cub. Balsa covered foam right now. I'm going to fiberglass them.......eventually
Just throw some Monikote on them and get flying.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #464
frank99

Quote: Originally Posted by psheffield
View Post
Here is my Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee 40 on Hanger 9 40 size floats and Saito 82a for power .
THAT'S what iam talking about !!!!!
frank99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #465
sherman89

Quote: Originally Posted by psheffield
View Post
The pawnee looks good on floats, just keep those wing tips out of the water!!!