Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Vendors > Smart-Fly Support
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Smacka
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Default Smart-Fly Super Switch

If a failure occurs, does the Smart-Fly Super Switch fail to a closed circuit condition? This is important to me because I do not want a switch failure to cause an open circuit such that I lose the use of my receiver battery redundancy.

Thank you!
Bill(aka Smacka)
Smacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
chumley
Uber Contributor

They don't say it is, but I don't know for sure. You can check out the Fromeco line of switches as they offer failsafe Wolverine and Badger switches
chumley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
ericb
Team WTFO

Quote: Originally Posted by Smacka
View Post
If a failure occurs, does the Smart-Fly Super Switch fail to a closed circuit condition? This is important to me because I do not want a switch failure to cause an open circuit such that I lose the use of my receiver battery redundancy.

Thank you!
Bill(aka Smacka)
The super switch is not a failsafe switch. It will fail "open" which is not what you are looking for.

https://www.google.com/#q=terryscust...+scratch+build<My next plane. ericb sent you.
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Smacka

Quote: Originally Posted by ericb
View Post
The super switch is not a failsafe switch. It will fail "open" which is not what you are looking for.
Thank you! I had suspected so because that is a feature that you would expect to be showcased in the specs
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Hi,
The SuperSwitch is a mechanical switch and if a mechanical switch fails, it fails open. This is why you always run two mechanical switches, one for each battery. I will say that we have been selling these since 2003 and have had zero failures to my knowledge.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Smacka

Quote: Originally Posted by rrritchey
View Post
Hi,
The SuperSwitch is a mechanical switch and if a mechanical switch fails, it fails open. This is why you always run two mechanical switches, one for each battery. I will say that we have been selling these since 2003 and have had zero failures to my knowledge.
Hi Mr. Ritchey:
Thank you for your response. I have heard good things with respect to your switches
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
snowflake
Gettin' Lower!

HI THERE :-)
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS THE MAX PEAK CURRENT, THE SUPER SWITCH CAN HANDLE?
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by snowflake
View Post
HI THERE :-)
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS THE MAX PEAK CURRENT, THE SUPER SWITCH CAN HANDLE?
There is really no such thing as "Maximum Peak Current" unless you are talking about the voltage where arcing would start, which would be in the hundreds of volts. The switch can handle very high currents for short periods of time. You just loose more voltage across the contacts the more current you put through the switch. The only meaningful thing to ask is the maximum continuous current you can run through the switch for an unlimited time which is much, much lower than a peak current.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
sherman89

View Post
There is really no such thing as "Maximum Peak Current" unless you are talking about the voltage where arcing would start, which would be in the hundreds of volts. The switch can handle very high currents for short periods of time. You just loose more voltage across the contacts the more current you put through the switch. The only meaningful thing to ask is the maximum continuous current you can run through the switch for an unlimited time which is much, much lower than a peak current.

And that is?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by sherman89
View Post
And that is?
Maximum continuous current is 5A. A 40%+ plane should not draw more than a couple amps on the ground with the engine running, this is the worst case static condition.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
sherman89

View Post
Maximum continuous current is 5A. A 40%+ plane should not draw more than a couple amps on the ground with the engine running, this is the worst case static condition.
I have used the Smart-fly switch for years with no failures. One switch per battery.