logo
Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Sigh...really?
boggintuff's Avatar
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Dec 2009
2,633 Posts
Discussion
PowerExpander vs PowerSystem

Ok Im starting the planning phase of my new build. 30% Edge

I am going to be running 2 - A123's for power.

My question is simple: Whats the difference between the Power Expander Plus and the Power System Plus?

Other than one says NiMh/NiCd & A123 the other says Lipo or Lion...whats the diff? I have read each like 5 times and just cant wrap my head around the difference. Also, can I use the pin flag with both models?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont see why one couldnt use A123's with the Power System instead of Lithium batteries.

I really wish they made either of these 2 models with Deans in I dont need anything bigger except maybe the EQ6 which is going to be overkill for my setup.

Thanks in advance.
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Last edited by boggintuff; 11-07-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM
fly inverted indoors
airboss/oc's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
4,737 Posts

Seriously, this is a help forum. If you don't want to help with the products then please do not contribute. Thanks.
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Last edited by rrritchey; 11-08-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Off topic.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Sigh...really?
boggintuff's Avatar
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Dec 2009
2,633 Posts

Airboss, things get too messy inside trying to run str8 IMO. I like the SF products, everything is in one nice neat package.
My current 50cc is with Sahara Reg and 42% products ig reg, and kill switch. Just looking for a cleaner neater install.
Plus the regulated voltage vs str8 with A123's negligible...thus making it mostly for cosmetic looks
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jun 2006
583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
Ok Im starting the planning phase of my new build. 30% Edge

I am going to be running 2 - A123's for power.

My question is simple: Whats the difference between the Power Expander Plus and the Power System Plus?

Other than one says NiMh/NiCd & A123 the other says Lipo or Lion...whats the diff? I have read each like 5 times and just cant wrap my head around the difference. Also, can I use the pin flag with both models?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont see why one couldnt use A123's with the Power System instead of Lithium batteries.

I really wish they made either of these 2 models with Deans in I dont need anything bigger except maybe the EQ6 which is going to be overkill for my setup.

Thanks in advance.
The PowerExpander is for A123/NiCd/NiMH since it does not regulate the servo voltage. It does regulate the rcvr voltage to 5V. All the PowerSystems units have regulators to regulate the 7.4V LiXX voltage to 5.5 to 6.5V for both the rcvr and servos.

Do NOT use the A123 with the PowerSystems units. You cannot regulate the A123/NiCd/NiMH packs to 5.5 to 6.5V. When drawing high current from a 2 cell (6.6V) A123 pack, the voltage can drop below 6V and the regulator that is set for 6 to 6.5V will shut off. I'm sure the same problem can occur with the NiCd/NiMH packs, as well.

If you want to use LiXX cells with the PowerExpander, you will have to use a regulator between the batteries and the PowerExpander unit. Or use HV servos.
nordqk is offline Find More Posts by nordqk
Last edited by nordqk; 11-07-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Sigh...really?
boggintuff's Avatar
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Dec 2009
2,633 Posts

Ok thanks Nordqk, thats whats I was looking for. I appreciate it.
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,076 Posts

Also dump that 42% products stuff. It is horrible. It WILL fail. only a matter of time.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Super Contributor
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
399 Posts

Hi,
Looks like the question is pretty much answered but short answer:

PowerExpanders do not regulate servo voltage, receiver is regulated to 5V.
PowerSystems do regulate the servo voltage, the receiver is also regulated to 5V.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Super Contributor
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
399 Posts

Hi,
If you use good A123 or LiFe packs you can run them with PowerSystems as long as you keep the voltage for the servos at 6V or less. A good A123 or LiFe pack with Deans connectors will not drop below 6.5V. This is adequate to keep the regulator in regulation at 6V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordqk View Post
The PowerExpander is for A123/NiCd/NiMH since it does not regulate the servo voltage. It does regulate the rcvr voltage to 5V. All the PowerSystems units have regulators to regulate the 7.4V LiXX voltage to 5.5 to 6.5V for both the rcvr and servos.

Do NOT use the A123 with the PowerSystems units. You cannot regulate the A123/NiCd/NiMH packs to 5.5 to 6.5V. When drawing high current from a 2 cell (6.6V) A123 pack, the voltage can drop below 6V and the regulator that is set for 6 to 6.5V will shut off. I'm sure the same problem can occur with the NiCd/NiMH packs, as well.

If you want to use LiXX cells with the PowerExpander, you will have to use a regulator between the batteries and the PowerExpander unit. Or use HV servos.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Sigh...really?
boggintuff's Avatar
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Dec 2009
2,633 Posts

Ritchey, any chance you will be making or could custom make a Power Expander Sport Plus with deans battery inputs?


Sleepy, is there a thread on that, they have been in the plane now for well over 150 flights with no problems, and using Ignition reg, batt share, and cutoff
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jun 2006
583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi,
If you use good A123 or LiFe packs you can run them with PowerSystems as long as you keep the voltage for the servos at 6V or less. A good A123 or LiFe pack with Deans connectors will not drop below 6.5V. This is adequate to keep the regulator in regulation at 6V.
As much as I agree with your statement for the newer A123 cells, I have the old version A123 packs going on 3 years and they still hold a charge, have excellent capacity and give adequate current during periods of strong demand. When they were new, I might have used them with a 6V reg but I would not risk a plane to that now unless I was using 2 or 3 packs in parallel. Even new, the 2s1p packs can hit 6V or lower when pulling intermittent currents of 12A or more depending on state of charge. The 3 year old 2s1p packs I have can go to 6V when pulling 10A or more since they are not quite new. I am going to 2s2p pack configurations so the voltage doesn't drop so much under heavy current load.

If I use a reg, I like to have at least a 1V buffer between pack and reg voltage level .
nordqk is offline Find More Posts by nordqk
Last edited by nordqk; 06-21-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Contributor
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
399 Posts

Hi,
If you want something with Deans then you can use the PowerExpander Competition 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
Ritchey, any chance you will be making or could custom make a Power Expander Sport Plus with deans battery inputs?


Sleepy, is there a thread on that, they have been in the plane now for well over 150 flights with no problems, and using Ignition reg, batt share, and cutoff
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools