Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Groundschool: 3D Flying and Aerobatics
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #31
hpapilot
Wah wah wee wah!!

Send a message via AIM to hpapilot

That airplane is rediculously fast and has huge ailerons, I'm not entirely surprised you're seeing blowback with those servos. While torque doesn't actually change with servo arm length, the force that the servo can impart at the end of that arm does. How much throw are you mechanically set up to get? Make sure to shorten your arm so you can use about 130% end points to achieve the max throw you actually want to use.
Aeromodel/Hacker Brushless
___Thunder Power
Vess Aero B&E Graphix Higher Plane Productions
hpapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #32
pryor808
Fast & Low

Location: Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz

Quote: Originally Posted by JackRC
View Post
ya, my hariier left roll is faster or more predictable than right roll. That I believe is causing by the torque.

could you tell me more about this blowback from the aileron servos? Thanks!

Jack
Jack,

What size airframe are you flying?
pryor808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #33
racelikustolit3k
how low can you go

Send a message via AIM to racelikustolit3k

View Post
ahh, that make perfectly sense Vic!!
Now think about it, whenever I start rolling first and then increase the throttle gradually then it roll faster and faster.

However if I go full throttle first then start rolling then it slow like an egg roll because my servos don't seem to have the power to overcome the high velocity wind.

btw, my plane is 3DHS 72" Extra 330SC with DLE30 , plenty of power for a lightweight setup. Full throttle is scary fast most of the time, probably need a better servo to keep up with it.

racelikustolit3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #34
pryor808
Fast & Low

Location: Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz

Thanks Jessie,

Now that I see that Jack is flying a 25% airframe, there is no reason for him to get aileron high speed blowback if he is using HQ servos over 160 oz-in of torque especially, on the ailerons. No matter the throw factor. I see your using A123's and, 7985's. Do me a favor and, power up your servos and, apply pressure with your hand to your control surfaces. You may have a week (defective) servo somewhere.

Last edited by pryor808; 11-18-2011 at 09:30 AM.
pryor808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #35
JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper

Quote: Originally Posted by hpapilot
View Post
That airplane is rediculously fast and has huge ailerons, I'm not entirely surprised you're seeing blowback with those servos. While torque doesn't actually change with servo arm length, the force that the servo can impart at the end of that arm does. How much throw are you mechanically set up to get? Make sure to shorten your arm so you can use about 130% end points to achieve the max throw you actually want to use.
I still have a lot of travel to play with on the aieron so I will shorten the arm and see what's up.
I pretty sure you are correct because all the symptoms pointing to blowback.
JackRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #36
JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper

Quote: Originally Posted by pryor808
View Post
Thanks Jessie,

Now that I see that Jack is flying a 25% airframe, there is no reason for him to get aileron high speed blowback if he is using HQ servos over 160 oz-in of torque especially, on the ailerons. No matter the throw factor. I see your using A123's and, 7985's. Do me a favor and, power up your servos and, apply pressure with your hand to your control surfaces. You may have a week (defective) servo somewhere.
ok, I tried again today with high speed pass and start rolling, The roll rate was slow at the beginning but gradually picking up. So I am 90% sure it's the blowback from the wind pressure at full speed, The servo just don't have enough "initial force" to withstand the wind pressure.

My solution for now will be: "don't fly that fast and low when rolling", after today's 15 mins high speed test run, I got complains from people at the field saying I am reckless... hmn.. wait till I got a 103 Extra

Last edited by JackRC; 11-18-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #37
racelikustolit3k
how low can you go

View Post
ok, I tried again today with high speed pass and start rolling, The roll rate was slow at the beginning but gradually picking up. So I am 90% sure it's the blowback from the wind pressure at full speed, The servo just don't have enough "initial force" to withstand the wind pressure.

My solution for now will be: "don't fly that fast and low when rolling", after today's 15 mins high speed test run, I got complains from people at the field saying I am reckless... hmn.. I think they got really scared..

take a look at this calculator and start figuring it out.. http://mnbigbirds.com/Servo%20Torque%20Caculator.htm

if your plane is truely that fast any servo is going to blowback with 40+ degrees of throw

you may also majorly stress the aileron by flexing it.. been there done that..

start by lowering your rate of throw and run the plane full tilt boogie down the F/L and gradually add more throw until your content with the RR.. you may have way to much throw for what your trying to accomplish..
Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #38
Jaybird
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Wonder if you have too much throw on those giant ailerons and it's acting as an air brake at high speed ? I know foamys will do that but never messed with it on the bigger planes. It would be easy to back off a few degrees and give it a shot.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #39
JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper

Quote: Originally Posted by racelikustolit3k
View Post
take a look at this calculator and start figuring it out.. http://mnbigbirds.com/Servo%20Torque%20Caculator.htm

if your plane is truely that fast any servo is going to blowback with 40+ degrees of throw

you may also majorly stress the aileron by flexing it.. been there done that..

start by lowering your rate of throw and run the plane full tilt boogie down the F/L and gradually add more throw until your content with the RR.. you may have way to much throw for what your trying to accomplish..
cool, thanks a lot for the input!
ya, I have 35~40 degree right now, and I think that giant control surface double as a air brake at full throttle
Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #40
racelikustolit3k
how low can you go

yep thats the jist of what I said.. my EF yak did that.. pulled the throw down and it still rolls like a monster
Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #41
Jaybird
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

View Post
yep thats the jist of what I said.. my EF yak did that.. pulled the throw down and it still rolls like a monster

LOL. You posted while I was typing.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #42
Sukhoikid
UAV R&D Pilot

I gotta say the OMP Yak 33% is probably the fastest rolling plane I have seen. I have yet to see a plane roll faster than that plane!

Kevin Garland
Sukhoikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #43
racelikustolit3k
how low can you go

da 120 powered Carf 2.6m extra 260.. I love it
Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #44
William Storzuk
Live to Fly Another Day

I love mine too!!!!!!!
William Storzuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #45
JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper

View Post
da 120 powered Carf 2.6m extra 260.. I love it
I just look it up and it only weight 24.25- 27.5 lbs dry with full balsa wood. wow.
Will definitely put it into my wishlist.