Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
Languid Virago
Chix fly too.

Default Tillotson carb on a DA100

Hi, I just picked up a used DA100 standard version, barely run in, but the odd thing is it comes with a Tillotson carb, my other DA100 has a WJ71 but it is an L version. The seller insists that was the way it came from DA.

Did DA ship some engines with Tillotson carbs on non L version DA100s? and is it worth the changing it for a Walbro WJ-71? since the seller has a couple of 3W 106s too, I am wondering if they are the scource of the carb at some point and he has forgotten or isn't saying.

Also I can't find a carb number on the Tillotson, anyone know where I can find it?
Languid Virago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
antique
Older than dirt

The number is on the carb body, look near the needles..Likely starts with an "S"...
antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
jimbomilligan
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Those are 3W carbs. to my knowledge they never came on a DA.

http://liarsrc.com
jimbomilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Languid Virago
Chix fly too.

There is nothing near the needles other than H and L, i can work out what they are. I have an " S2" on a cover plate, a " 28" near the throttle arm and on the carb body what looks more like a stamped serial number than a carb model number " 232E632"
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
antique
Older than dirt

That's the carb number, the letters would be HS...Sometimes there's not enough room for the letters...
Google HS 232 tillotson
antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Languid Virago
Chix fly too.

Quote: Originally Posted by antique
View Post
That's the carb number, the letters would be HS...Sometimes there's not enough room for the letters...
Google HS 232 tillotson
ah, thanks, Antique, it seems to be a 3W106 carb. Cheeky seller looks like he swopped it out at some point.

I suppose the next question is, is it worth keeping or replacing? are Tillotsons any good? 3W seem to use them.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?

Replace it with the wj. There's a reason he swapped them out Not saying the tillies don't work but, that one must of not.

scott m lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
cap232tain
Super Contributor

How does it run with the T carb.?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!

Awards Showcase
FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. Super-Huck!: Presented for incredible contributions from our members, to our community. - Issue reason: For bringing back the incredible action from the 2006 Don Lowe Masters in form of photos, writeups, and mass quantities of videos for all of our enjoyment. 
Total Awards: 2
Send a message via AIM to TheTank

I have not run one on a DA... but I have had both walbro and Tillotsen on the 3W... and I prefer the tillotsen. All my DA's over the years have had Walbro...

Not sure why the previous owner would have swapped it out though.... If it runs good, I would keep it.
3D HobbyShop
Aircraft International/Quantum Hobby
TheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
jlb
Gettin' Lower!

Swap it and save yourself some grief. On all 3 of the 3W engines I've owned, I've put Walbro carbs, DA or Excel ignitions and aluminum carb blocks on them and then they ran like they should have from the factory.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Diablo
Super Contributor

Try it with the Tillotson. I'd be surprised if it didn't run the same as with a Walbro.
Neither carb was designed for a twin-cylinder model plane motor.
Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote