Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Workshop Skills
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
golfer
Doo It! Doo It!

Default Fiberglass Work

I need to do some work on one of my cowels and have read of the different kinds of resins and how one kind may not work well with another.
My problem is I do not know what kind of material was sused on my cowel. It is whitesh in natural color which is about all I can tell. I have another that has a greenish tint to it so I know all are not the same.
Can anyone suggest what I might use to repair this thing?
Thanks for looking and best wishes.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Mithrandir
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

can you check with the manufacturer/distributer to find out?

Chances are the Greenish one is a polyester... vinylester? mono-ester... something-ester....

the other... hard to tell...

most important thing is to get it properly "Bond Prep'd"

free of contamination and a freshly abraided surface....
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
golfer
Doo It! Doo It!

Mith...... there is no indication on the whitish colored one. The other, I was thinking just as you.
Best to you.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
zx32tt
Super Contributor

The main thing is to get the repair area super clean, and free of ANY dirt, oil or other contaminants. Use a thin body expoxy resin for the repairs. I use West Systems with the slow hardner, which give plenty of working time, and adds very little weight.
zx32tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
golfer
Doo It! Doo It!

Understand getting the body clean of oil 's and debris, thaks much.
My bigest concern was using an epoxy that was not compatable with the cowel that I have. I assume that if I use the wrong epoxy, it will not adhere to my cowel, is that correct?

Thanks and best wishes.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
zx32tt
Super Contributor

If you get everything clean, and roughed up, the epoxy will work. Brand compatability won't have much to do with it.
zx32tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
golfer
Doo It! Doo It!

Please excuse my ignorance about these things, but I am hearing about polyester, vinyl ester and other kinds of epoxy's and that is the compatabality question I am struggling with. Does that make any difference?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Philkoury
Gettin' Lower!

Use epoxy resin, rough up the area and clean it well with acetone. Epox based resins will stick to polyester resin. Polyester resins will not stick very well to epoxy resins. I would recommenr the West system epoxy with the slow hardner. You can order it online or if you have a West Marine store nearby they stock West Systems products. If the repair is a small area you could use 30 minute epoy.
Philkoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
golfer
Doo It! Doo It!

OK I got it, epoxy will stick it is thatyou cn't crosssome the exter resins. Thanks much for you hlep.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
scale only 4 me
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by golfer
View Post
Please excuse my ignorance about these things, but I am hearing about polyester, vinyl ester and other kinds of epoxy's and that is the compatabality question I am struggling with. Does that make any difference?
Yes, it does,, How do you tell which is which??

Like said,, Usually Polyester is tinted blue or green, if you're not sure how do you tell??

If you've ever smelled Bondo type filler where you use the little putty catalyst or other resins where you use the drops for catalyst, you'll know it has a very strong distinct chemical smell, Were as epoxy has a much more mild almost no smell at all.

Take some 120 grit sand paper and sand a small area on the inside of the part, put your nose up to it, that strong smell will get released,, you'll know right away believe me.

good luck
scale only 4 me is offline   Reply With Quote