Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Build Threads
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #91
husker
Riley O'Brien

I must have gotten lucky...my foam was great. My cowl fit perfectly also...

That being said I think they might be in over their heads. Maybe they need to find some competent help for when they are out of town...or give up/sell the company. They have lost sensei as a contributor and now there are several build threads online that aren't exactly helping their image.

I have already decided to go with competition airframes for my next kit.
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325647053.358777.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	438394 64.1 KB · Views: 55

husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #92
terryscustom
Wood Butcher

Quote: Originally Posted by husker
View Post
I must have gotten lucky...my foam was great. My cowl fit perfectly also...

That being said I think they might be in over their heads. Maybe they need to find some competent help for when they are out of town...or give up/sell the company. They have lost sensei as a contributor and now there are several build threads online that aren't exactly helping their image.

I have already decided to go with competition airframes for my next kit.
You must have gotten lucky!! After my scratch build yet this year, I will probably go with a Comp. Airframes or Dalton for next Winter. Carden left a double bad taste in my mouth now....too much drama, so they are out for me.
terryscustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #93
lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.

Terry, How much 30NF are you using? Would 2 coats on each surface make a strong bond? I'm redoing a wing that was done using 30NF that had a poor bond. We were able to get the sheeting off without damaging the foam much and planning on redoing it with 30NF to save the wings. Scott
lakerider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #94
ex300sc
Super Contributor

Husker I agree with you 100%. The product issues with Matt are building up and no response will get you now where. With his drama he posted a few months ago in his life and saying he has neighbors helping him, hes on the road 6 weeks at a time, people posting they can get him either by phone or email means just that, no quality control and consistent mistakes. Going with Rob or Tony is a better avenue for kit success for sure.
ex300sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #95
terryscustom
Wood Butcher

Quote: Originally Posted by lakerider8
View Post
Terry, How much 30NF are you using? Would 2 coats on each surface make a strong bond? I'm redoing a wing that was done using 30NF that had a poor bond. We were able to get the sheeting off without damaging the foam much and planning on redoing it with 30NF to save the wings. Scott
I'm doing two coats on each item to be joined. First coat let dry 30min, second coat 20-30minutes and bond. Bought a $6 iron at Walmart that I crank up all the way (I think it's hotter than my covering iron) and go over it. I did a destructive test before using it on the plane and it is some great stuff. It just does not fill the large gaps like I had on my rudder. On tight curves I also found it helpful to mist the outside of the balsa with water and let it soak in for a few seconds to make it more flexible to avoid cracking.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #96
terryscustom
Wood Butcher

CRAAAAAPPPP!!! I came in to find that my rudder glue-up was successful and looks nice. However, I unwrapped the wings to look at them for the first time..... Any suggestions???? Will PU glue foam enough to fill this if I apply it a little thick?? It's like this on both sides of both wings, however the other wing they are more like 1/16" deep instead of 1/8".

I also sent an E-mail to Aerotech to see what they suggest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4631.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	438453 35.9 KB · Views: 44

Name:	DSCN4632.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	438454 68.9 KB · Views: 50

Last edited by terryscustom; 01-04-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #97
husker
Riley O'Brien

Quote: Originally Posted by terryscustom
View Post
CRAAAAAPPPP!!! I came in to find that my rudder glue-up was successful and looks nice. However, I unwrapped the wings to look at them for the first time..... Any suggestions???? Will PU glue foam enough to fill this if I apply it a little thick?? It's like this on both sides of both wings, however the other wing they are more like 1/16" deep instead of 1/8".

Yes poly glue would fill that easily....but I would request that they send you new wings.

Thats terrible...

They might respond to your email by next month if you are lucky.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #98
rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....

View Post

That sucks......bad foam
I have a habit to inspect ALL PARTS when opening the box, that way if there is any goof-ups it can be jumped on strait away - get new cores for the wings
rooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #99
terryscustom
Wood Butcher

Just for fun I sighted down the wing tips as well. One has about a 1/4" arc on the wingtip and the other about 1/8".

Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4633.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	438457 32.2 KB · Views: 60

Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #100
pittsman44
Doo It! Doo It!

Holy crqp. How can u ever let that out. Get ur money back!
pittsman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #101
erjpilot
Uber Contributor

Wow, I have never seen cores that bad.....I would not be happy what so ever.

erjpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #102
gapple12
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Every Aerotech thread is posting issues. Wonder what is wrong with them. Not looking to good for there future.
gapple12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #103
terryscustom
Wood Butcher

I would expect a little swagger on the tips of the rudder since it is a strange shape to cut. It looks worse in these pics than it is. So I will be applying two layers of 1/8" to the trailing edge to get that straight. The first with carbon rod and wood glue, the second either with wood glue or thick CA for a little more strength. Guess I have to do some real work while this dries for a bit.

The front edge gets 1/2" balsa, so I'll pick a dense / heavy pc. and glue it on similar to this to dry over night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4634.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	438485 28.1 KB · Views: 44

Name:	DSCN4635.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	438486 31.9 KB · Views: 43

Name:	DSCN4636.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	438487 54.3 KB · Views: 47

Name:	DSCN4637.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	438488 42.6 KB · Views: 40

Old 01-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #104
husker
Riley O'Brien

View Post
I would expect a little swagger on the tips of the rudder since it is a strange shape to cut. It looks worse in these pics than it is. So I will be applying two layers of 1/8" to the trailing edge to get that straight. The first with carbon rod and wood glue, the second either with wood glue or thick CA for a little more strength. Guess I have to do some real work while this dries for a bit.

The front edge gets 1/2" balsa, so I'll pick a dense / heavy pc. and glue it on similar to this to dry over night.
Thats actually pretty normal for the rudder before the TE is added. Should be fine when you are done with it.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #105
terryscustom
Wood Butcher

That's what I thought, it's a pretty complex geometry.

I heard back from ATech and he is going to take a look at it on his end in the AM to see if my wings are consistent with his normal parts I guess.