Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Groundschool: 3D Flying and Aerobatics
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 12-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #31
danielph
Fly Extreme!

Quote: Originally Posted by JackRC
View Post
Daniel, could you tell us your aieron input during the one wing flight? is it very sensitive? do you need to compensate the torque from the motor?

Thanks.
Thanks guys! Jack, I'll do it with a gas plane if it's donated for the sole purpose of a one wing landing. LOL
The ailerons are very sensitive and you need to use the elevator with the aileron like using rudder in a turn. It's one of those things that you just have to feel. It's fun though!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #32
JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper

Default How to land a RC plane with missing wing

With all the helpful input here and 30 mins of practice, I was able to land the plane gracefully, still not perfect yet but should be enough to give you an idea.

Here are the steps:
1. Figure out the direction of rudder, plane will go into spiral spin if doing it the wrong way. If you are high enough you will have time to change the rudder direction.
2. Apply full rudder and start the knife edge. using aieron to make sure plane stay in KE.
Note: use only down elevator to change your direction especially on gas engine, I notice that up elevator will cause the plane to spin.
3. at the last second of impact level the plane.

How to land with missing right wing(left rudder):

How to land with missing left wing(right rudder):

Extreme Flight 104 Extra 300

Last edited by JackRC; 12-28-2011 at 06:09 PM.
JackRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
Rick1999
Brest fed till the age of 35

NICE!!
Rick1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #34
Rick1999
Brest fed till the age of 35

Hey Bad Dog that an't your big Pilot Yak is it????
Rick1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #35
Bad Dog!
"Release the Kracken"

Quote: Originally Posted by Rick1999
View Post
Hey Bad Dog that an't your big Pilot Yak is it????

Yes it was. Fortunately I have another.

If a dog barks excessively in the woods and no one is around to hear him, Is he still a Bad Dog! ?
Bad Dog! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #36
dumbthumbs53
Doo It! Doo It!

View Post
well, sorry but I disagree..

it was a brand new out-of-the-box wing that only has 3 minutes into the flight and the whole wing got pull out of the fuselage with a pop-top. My original beat-up wing can still handle all kinda of abuse because it was built solid by 3DHS!! I replace it for cosmetic and safety concern.

post-crash analysis shows the glue is absolutely minimum. I think 3DHS is working on this issue right now. FYI.

It's amazing, at first glance I thought your pictures were of my 72" Extra that suffered the same fate. I think you are correct in that there was a manufacturing defect that 3DHS is now addressing.

But here's what sets 3DHS asside from a lot of other brands. While they may have had an issue with a number of these airframes, Ben was quick to replace my entire airframe with ZERO hassle.

I can't fault any company with an occasional product defect, it's how the deal with it after the fact that makes the difference.
dumbthumbs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Huckin Chuck
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

View Post
Daniel, could you tell us your aieron input during the one wing flight? is it very sensitive? do you need to compensate the torque from the motor?

Thanks.
Ya jack loooks like you got it with the alieron. If you understand the physics of it it helps. Regardless of if you have one wing or two, pulling up elevator will cause the wing(s) to produce more lift (sort of), as the force if transfered to the wings. Down elevator causes negative lift (once again its not exact but its the general idea) so if you have only the right wing, pulling up will only cause the lift on the right side, thus the right side of the plane wants to go up. This is why people crash when trying to just pull up if on a downline with one wing, there is only half of the plane getting lift, so that side spins. So during a KE turn, pulling up will cause the plane to roll, and this must be compensated for with the alieron. As stated before use rudder for altitude, elevator to turn, and alieron to correct. If you have a lot of alieron throw, you can sometimes fight the lift and bring the plane to a normal upright position and just harrier or slip in for a landing!
Happy one wing landings
Huckin Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #38
JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper

I think we are not alone, I've received couple of PMs at RCGroups saying the same thing, but 3DHS were able to resolve the issue quickly.

I think quality control is very important in this game because reputation is pretty damn important. Every product defect will cost more money to fix, not to mention property damage or hurt somebody during the incident.

all I can say is...tough business and god bless them all... And please give me a call 3DHS, I am still waiting

Quote: Originally Posted by dumbthumbs53
View Post
It's amazing, at first glance I thought your pictures were of my 72" Extra that suffered the same fate. I think you are correct in that there was a manufacturing defect that 3DHS is now addressing.

But here's what sets 3DHS asside from a lot of other brands. While they may have had an issue with a number of these airframes, Ben was quick to replace my entire airframe with ZERO hassle.

I can't fault any company with an occasional product defect, it's how the deal with it after the fact that makes the difference.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #39
JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper

you are correct, I noticed that up elevator will cuz the plane to roll. Only way to safely land the plane is applying gentle down elevator. I forgot to mention that on my instruction!

Quote: Originally Posted by Huckin Chuck
View Post
Ya jack loooks like you got it with the alieron. If you understand the physics of it it helps. Regardless of if you have one wing or two, pulling up elevator will cause the wing(s) to produce more lift (sort of), as the force if transfered to the wings. Down elevator causes negative lift (once again its not exact but its the general idea) so if you have only the right wing, pulling up will only cause the lift on the right side, thus the right side of the plane wants to go up. This is why people crash when trying to just pull up if on a downline with one wing, there is only half of the plane getting lift, so that side spins. So during a KE turn, pulling up will cause the plane to roll, and this must be compensated for with the alieron. As stated before use rudder for altitude, elevator to turn, and alieron to correct. If you have a lot of alieron throw, you can sometimes fight the lift and bring the plane to a normal upright position and just harrier or slip in for a landing!
Happy one wing landings

Last edited by JackRC; 12-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.