Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Vendors > Smart-Fly Support
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
JCFLYR
Love the sticks

Default EQ-10 set-up

Hey guys, having a brain fart and am new to power expanders. On the eq-10 set up, what connection puts power to the receiver? I am just getting it hooked up and can't seem to wrap my head around it. I have an A123 hooked up with one servo to the panel running a fail safe switch to the board. I'm thinking I have to hook up power thru one of the powered pig tails (ch. 1 or 10). Just not sure. Thanks in advance.....

Dazed and confused!
Aero Cumulus Smoke Oil........Here kitty-kitty.....
JCFLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
BOSSIER_ROB
Just Here For The Comments

You have two sets of servo wires on each end of all the white signal wires. Plug those into a channel on each end of the receiver like 1 and 10. That gives you power.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
JCFLYR
Love the sticks

Quote: Originally Posted by BOSSIER_ROB
View Post
You have two sets of servo wires on each end of all the white signal wires. Plug those into a channel on each end of the receiver like 1 and 10. That gives you power.
So when I use either channel 1 or 10 from the eq-10 to receiver it is supplying 5 volts of power to receiver and to that servo correct? Can I plug ch 1 or 10 from eq-10 directly to the battery input of receiver if I'm not using it for a servo?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
BOSSIER_ROB

Quote: Originally Posted by JCFLYR
View Post
So when I use either channel 1 or 10 from the eq-10 to receiver it is supplying 5 volts of power to receiver and to that servo correct? Can I plug ch 1 or 10 from eq-10 directly to the battery input of receiver if I'm not using it for a servo?
It provides 5v to the receiver but voltage to the servo depends on if you're using a regulator. I don't remember if the eq10 has a built in super or turbo reg. If it does, you can adjust the voltage to the servos to a maximum of 6.6v. If you're not using a regulator and there isn't one built in, you'll get 5v to the rereceiver and direct battery voltage to your servos. You can plug those leads to a battery input but that decreases the amount of channels to the power expander you can use. Better to plug them into channel 1 and 10. Use both plugs that provide power to the receiver even if you wont use one of those channels.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
JCFLYR
Love the sticks

Thanks again for the help. I am using an R-921 rx 9 channel so I will plug one into the battery port of the rx and the other into one of the other channels. Thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
BOSSIER_ROB

View Post
Thanks again for the help. I am using an R-921 rx 9 channel so I will plug one into the battery port of the rx and the other into one of the other channels. Thanks
Just plug them in channel 1 and 9(aux2 I think?). That's how I had mine on my 921.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
rrritchey
Super Contributor

NO, DO NOT PLUG INTO THE BATTERY PORT. All the connections on the Eq10 are designed to plug into SERVO PORTs only. If you plug any of our connections into the battery port on a JR or Spectrum receiver (Bat/Bind) you risk unbinding the receiver at some point. When you are done hooking up your receiver to the Eq10 your Battery ports (including bind and data) should have NOTHING plugged into them. If this is not clear, please call us. Please call us.

View Post
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
JCFLYR
Love the sticks

Quote: Originally Posted by rrritchey
View Post
NO, DO NOT PLUG INTO THE BATTERY PORT. All the connections on the Eq10 are designed to plug into SERVO PORTs only. If you plug any of our connections into the battery port on a JR or Spectrum receiver (Bat/Bind) you risk unbinding the receiver at some point. When you are done hooking up your receiver to the Eq10 your Battery ports (including bind and data) should have NOTHING plugged into them. If this is not clear, please call us. Please call us.
Clear as mud! Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!

I was just about to scream the same thing! Remember your RX is a bus so power can be applied at any servo input. So I typically use 1/10 on the EQ10 as a servo input.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem." ...Ronald Reagan
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID

Quote: Originally Posted by rrritchey
View Post
I'm pretty sure it states that in the set-up literature, you should go to their website and download the PDF file for that unit.
vmceachern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID

Here is the link for the manuals:http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Expander/expander.htm
Old 01-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
jamesrxx951
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

i would recheck with smart fly, but i thought you could plug the PE power into the power input into the reciever if you remove the 3rd aka signal wire from the plug. that way it just has a power and ground and no signal wire going into the reciever.
Team JR NCFR IMAC
http://tntlandinggear.com/ http://www.rcaircraftcomponents.com/
jamesrxx951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
JCFLYR
Love the sticks

Quote: Originally Posted by vmceachern
View Post
I'm pretty sure it states that in the set-up literature, you should go to their website and download the PDF file for that unit.
Yeah I have the manual and read that as well, I just interprated it differently when I read it. I thought you could plug into the battery port just not the bind port. My issue was when using the powered pigtales....(1 and 10).....for a servo port, is that servo getting 5 volts now or is it still getting the raw battery power?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID

View Post
Yeah I have the manual and read that as well, I just interprated it differently when I read it. I thought you could plug into the battery port just not the bind port. My issue was when using the powered pigtales....(1 and 10).....for a servo port, is that servo getting 5 volts now or is it still getting the raw battery power?
The signal will stay the same. Use the channels you need and whatever ports are left plug the power leads to them. It does not matter which rx port you use just not the original battery port on the rx.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
rrritchey
Super Contributor

View Post
The 5V is just powering the receiver. This has nothing to do with the servo power. The servo power is directed straight from the battery inputs to the servo power pins. The servos have no idea what voltage the receiver is running on and they don't care.