Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Industry Connection > FlyingGiants Sponsored Technical Support > Smart-Fly Support
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
ALE
Gettin' Lower!

Default Question!!!! PowerSystem Competition 12 Turbo

I have one, PowerSystem Competition 12 Turbo, I want to know if a voltage regulator failure, as follows from energy (unregulated of course), or no way of energy.
ALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by ALE
View Post
I have one, PowerSystem Competition 12 Turbo, I want to know if a voltage regulator failure, as follows from energy (unregulated of course), or no way of energy.
There is no way to predict this. A regulator can fail either way. Anyone that tells you different does not know what they are saying. It depends on how the regulator component fails. A MOSFET can fail open or closed depending how how the silicon failed.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
ALE
Gettin' Lower!

Thank you for your response Robert, I'm very satisfied with their products, however I can not stay quiet is very rare that a regulator fails Smart Fly?, At least I could not find any comments about it online.
Could put high voltage servos, but I read a commentary in relation to the signal voltage (with 8 V should be 5.5 v) and servo manufacturers are not grabbing the right thing, this is true. regards
Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
FHHuber
on a vacation

Your RX is more likely to fail than the regulator...
FHHuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
rrritchey
Super Contributor

View Post
Thank you for your response Robert, I'm very satisfied with their products, however I can not stay quiet is very rare that a regulator fails Smart Fly?, At least I could not find any comments about it online.
Could put high voltage servos, but I read a commentary in relation to the signal voltage (with 8 V should be 5.5 v) and servo manufacturers are not grabbing the right thing, this is true. regards
Hi, as long as our plane size recommendations are followed the regulators are extremely reliable. Regulators fails because they get too hot. We make sure our regulators are heat-sinked adequately for the application. For the small segment out there that really wants redundancy I am looking at releasing a product with redundant regulators late this year but I want to be sure its done right. It does no good to have redundant regulators if the user is not given status of each regulator.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
ALE
Gettin' Lower!

Robert, and in my case that I have one, Smart Fly Competition 12 Turbo, I used this new product?, In some way can be added to the plant, I guess that maybe no. Regards
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
rrritchey
Super Contributor

View Post
Robert, and in my case that I have one, Smart Fly Competition 12 Turbo, I used this new product?, In some way can be added to the plant, I guess that maybe no. Regards
Sorry, I do not understand the question.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Cryhavoc38
Go Hawks!

looking forward to seeing the dual regulator solution.

I love my smart fly hardware, but I have preferred to not use the regulated versions of the Competition 12 due to the single turbo reg onboard.
Cryhavoc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
ALE
Gettin' Lower!

Sorry, is that I use an internet translator is not ideal, as it sometimes lends itself to Confucianism.
The question was whether this new regulators with redundancy, it can add to, competition 12 turbo, or would have to buy a new one.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
rrritchey
Super Contributor

View Post
Sorry, is that I use an internet translator is not ideal, as it sometimes lends itself to Confucianism.
The question was whether this new regulators with redundancy, it can add to, competition 12 turbo, or would have to buy a new one.
Hi, you will not be able to upgrade your unit. The Comp 12 is integrated and there is no way to change the regulator on it. Sorry.