Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
Scott Gerber
Closed Account

No plasma TV display...???

Scott
Scott Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
gforce
Uber Contributor

I doubt I will ever need 18 channels.My 11X does all I will need.Love the servo sync and same speed on all 11 channels.I'm good! If ya really need to spend 3k on a transmitter or what ever the Spectrum is,go for it! Pay that big doh! You Can Do It!!!lololol!!
gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
Zeeb
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by CEThomas
View Post
Need to check out the other DX18 thread. It has 10 proportional channels 8 on/off channels using the X-plus. It comes with a 9ch rx
Well there seems to be some confusion as the X-Plus module isn't just on/off but there is a prohibition against using those channels for flight control surfaces. Andy Kunz from Horizon has said that the problem is with the latency on those channels which is normally 22ms but can be as high as 88ms and that's why you cannot use those channels for flight controls.

There is also the question of how big or how many servos you can run for whatever purpose on the X-Plus as the power feed to that module is only two servo lead size connectors. Not a lot of amperage capability there.

It begs the question; can you get full use of 12 channels if you run a 12 channel rx or is the radio really only a native 10 channel?
Zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by gforce
View Post
I doubt I will ever need 18 channels.My 11X does all I will need.Love the servo sync and same speed on all 11 channels.I'm good! If ya really need to spend 3k on a transmitter or what ever the Spectrum is,go for it! Pay that big doh! You Can Do It!!!lololol!!
MSRP $800.00
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
gforce
Uber Contributor

Fut 18MZ 2999.99 Uhhh,I dont think so.
Spec DX18 800.00 Not all channels on the same speed,No servo sync?
JR 11X 649.99 at LHS and does all I will ever needand it looks like a transformer!

Just My 2cents
gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Scott Gerber
Closed Account

Default Breaking news...!!!

This just in:

The first shipment of DX18 radios will be a little delayed, something about faulty lipo batteries.

That is all....

Last edited by Scott Gerber; 08-06-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Scott Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
CEThomas
My life needs editing.

View Post
JR 11X 649.99 at LHS and does all I will ever needand it looks like a transformer!

Just My 2cents

Just FYI the DX 18 has servo balance just like the 11X. Also what is the name of you local LHS? At $649 think I may I will go with the 11X
Futaba 12-FG
CEThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
PropsnWings

View Post

Just My 2cents
Might want to check your price on the 11X again........ isnt that $749??
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
planecajun

Quote: Originally Posted by Efishensea
View Post
I believe you might want to have another more comprehensive look at the advertisement. I think you will find that the DX-18 is by far the more capable & safer Radio over the 11X or 12X.
SAFER?????? I read the add......Not exactly sure how you come up with SAFER from a magazine ad. Especially considering the radios in question both use DSM2/DSMX technology. The transmission is the same, and they both use model match. I already have a 12X.......So unless youre a Spectrum salesman trying to sell me a radio, or youve got one in your hand, and not just a magazine ad..........I fail to see how this post shed any intelligent light on the subject.
SAFER.......
planecajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #25
cwoycke
JET A

Quote: Originally Posted by Efishensea
View Post
I believe you might want to have another more comprehensive look at the advertisement. I think you will find that the DX-18 is by far the more capable & safer Radio over the 11X or 12X.

How is it safer? I love my 12X, and like the DX18. I had a chance to hold one at efest, and it felt good in my hands.
cwoycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
cwoycke
JET A

Planecajun you beat me to it. I think we were typing at the same time. LOL
cwoycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #27
CEThomas
My life needs editing.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zeeb
View Post
Well there seems to be some confusion as the X-Plus module isn't just on/off but there is a prohibition against using those channels for flight control surfaces. Andy Kunz from Horizon has said that the problem is with the latency on those channels which is normally 22ms but can be as high as 88ms and that's why you cannot use those channels for flight controls.

There is also the question of how big or how many servos you can run for whatever purpose on the X-Plus as the power feed to that module is only two servo lead size connectors. Not a lot of amperage capability there.

It begs the question; can you get full use of 12 channels if you run a 12 channel rx or is the radio really only a native 10 channel?
I have seen that everything I fly is eather flight controls or on / off channels. And I never need more then 4 on/off channels, but sure would like to have 11 or 12 flight channels. But what bugs me is that they pack a 9ch rx with it so that you cannot even get the use out of all 10 flight channels if the X-plus manual is correct
Futaba 12-FG
CEThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
planecajun

oops, sorry. next time i'll pause before posting.....LOL

seriously though. I work offshore on drilling rigs, and have to deal with the word "safer" being thrown around blatently, and it gets under my skin. We cant have knives offshore anymore because some dumb a$$ cut his finger off. so they give us these doo dads and say, its "safer" to cut rope with. These things wont cut a sheet of paper and you need a 5 hour class to figure out how to use the stupid thing. It's not safer......after jacking with that thing, if someone walks up and says the wrong thing, i might choke the living s**t out of them......see, the safer rope cutter could cost someone their life. LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
Kitman

On the DX18-10 channels are 1024 and the 8 on swithches are 512 resolution. Got to see one this last weekend
www.ColumbusBigBirds.com
Kitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #30
planecajun

Safer than an Aurora 9.........I might buy that. Safer than a futaba, JR, Airtronics? Hogwash!!!!!

This discussion should be about features, feel of the radio, native channels vs on and off.........Maybe the safety issue should be reserved for running 8 digital servos through that x-plus thing with power provided by a single servo plug.