Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #46
planecajun
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

nope, i spread them out and alternate direction.........your assumption is flawed because you changed the conversation from, how the radio waves propagate, to how the radio waves are received. said waves must pass through balsa, ply, carbon, plastic covering. all of these materials bend or otherwise reflect a 2.4 wave to different and varying degrees. Especially since a 2.4 wave is high frequency, and easily disturbed. therefore, multiple and varying antanna's for reception of a generally weak wave form is a no brainer.

some of the above mentioned materials like carbon and plastic absorb radio waves. want to know how much these materials absorb 2.4ghz waves? put them in a microwave. your microwave heats objects because said objects absorb 2.4ghz radio waves. materials that do not absorb 2.4ghz radio waves, will not get hot in the microwave.
planecajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #47
1bwana1

I think the theory is that the dual antenna system eliminates the cone of reduced power that occurs at each end of the antenna. This should provide for a stronger signal always reaching the RX. Is it really safer if I have never experienced a hold with the single antenna? In theory yes, in practice probably not.

I think we will know more about how the DX-18 fits into the market after we see the manual so we know more about the programming features.
1bwana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #48
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by planecajun
View Post
nope, i spread them out and alternate direction.........your assumption is flawed because you changed the conversation from, how the radio waves propagate, to how the radio waves are received. said waves must pass through balsa, ply, carbon, plastic covering. all of these materials bend or otherwise reflect a 2.4 wave to different and varying degrees. Especially since a 2.4 wave is high frequency, and easily disturbed. therefore, multiple and varying antanna's for reception of a generally weak wave form is a no brainer.
I guess Spectrum with all of its Electrical Engineers and R & D ... They just did that for Fun then?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
Kitman

Quote: Originally Posted by Bikman
View Post
They are all them fully proportional channels but the last 8 channels are only 512 resolution...
I'm not sure if the main 10 channels are 1024 or 2048 resolution....
www.ColumbusBigBirds.com
Kitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #50
planecajun

Quote: Originally Posted by Efishensea
View Post
I guess Spectrum with all of its Electrical Engineers and R & D ... They just did that for Fun then?
Actually, im guessing it was probably done as a marketing gimmick to make some people think it was somehow SAFER.

The cone of silence that 1bwana1 referred to does exist, and maybe the dual antanna is meant to cover that cone, but, the waves radiate out the top of the antanna in a donut shape. Radio waves by nature grow as they propogate so the hole in the middle of the cone is closed and gone as distance increases. the second antanna should not make a difference if the receiver is farther than 10 ft in front of you and you dont have the very tip of the antanna continuously pointed directly at the receiver.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #51
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

I am sure they fully tested it and found it to be better and SAFER... Lol...
Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #52
ericb
Team WTFO

Quote: Originally Posted by Kitman
View Post
Nope, 2048.
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #53
planecajun

YES, I am quite certain that you'll believe anything they tell you. Im gonna jump on the futaba 18mz and jr 11x threads, and let all of them know that the DX-18 is SAFER than what they fly because their radios only have one antanna. Oh, i'll make sure they know that i know this because Spektrum says so and Efishensea told me. In that case, how could they not believe it.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #54
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by planecajun
View Post
YES, I am quite certain that you'll believe anything they tell you. Im gonna jump on the futaba 18mz and jr 11x threads, and let all of them know that the DX-18 is SAFER than what they fly because their radios only have one antanna. Oh, i'll make sure they know that i know this because Spektrum says so and Efishensea told me. In that case, how could they not believe it.
Thank You!. Lol...
Old 02-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #55
planecajun

Maybe you should go back and read my post again........try reading it as me and not you. im thinking sarcasm doesnt warrant thanks.........LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #56
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

I read your post? I was being sarcastic myself?
And, not to mention the Radio only being $800.00 W/Rx that's about 1/2 the cost of a fully loaded 12X with Rx. I am coming from a X9303-H. It is definitely a system to Check out for a upgrade.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #57
planecajun

sure.........i never said it wasnt. Going from a 12X to this is not an upgrade in my opinion, as i stated originally.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #58
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Is It Safe...?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #59
jamesrxx951

Quote: Originally Posted by Kitman
View Post
On the DX18-10 channels are 1024 and the 8 on swithches are 512 resolution. Got to see one this last weekend

if thats true about the 1024 resolution thats a huge step backwards. i would hope that is not true.
Team JR NCFR IMAC
http://tntlandinggear.com/ http://www.rcaircraftcomponents.com/
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #60
planecajun

yep, i think its true but only 10 channels, the other 8 are 512.......of course, my 12X has 2048 on all 12 channels but, this is misleading because youre limited by the resolution of the servos youre using. The newer servo's may be 2048 but i dont know.