Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #106
ericb
Team WTFO

Quote: Originally Posted by Efishensea
View Post
Hmmmmm? No Blind Spot! So you could say "SAFER" Then?

Zing.
ericb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #107
mxcop
Team Extreme

I'm sure if another brand added an extra hidden antenna to their radio everything would be ok..... It doesn't really matter to those who are here because they are truly interested in the radio, they will appreciate any extra work and development Spektrum does to improve an already well proven system. Who could honestly say that they would turn down something, which you can't even see because it's hidden in the handle, that could allow a even more robust RF path/link ? Only someone who uses another brand and feels threatened by this radios possible superiority, this is just the nature of these forums...

Lee
Desert Aircraft
Jersey Modeler
mxcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #108
planecajun
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

View Post
Hmmmmm? No Blind Spot! So you could say "SAFER" Then?
Geez, you just dont quit do you......You remind me of my wife. Someone please remind me to disregard Efishensea's opinion, if i want unbiased. You dont work for MSNBC do you? LOL
planecajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #109
planecajun

It might "possibly" be a superior radio...........and it may be "safer", but at this point, all of that is pure speculation. programming is a matter of taste and personal opinion, unless functions are available that go beyond what anyone else offers. Im not a JR fan boy, i just want an honest assessment of it when it hits the market, so i can make up my own mind. It might make a great second radio for me, which is why im here.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #110
RCToon
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by planecajun
View Post
Actually, im guessing it was probably done as a marketing gimmick to make some people think it was somehow SAFER.

The cone of silence that 1bwana1 referred to does exist, and maybe the dual antanna is meant to cover that cone, but, the waves radiate out the top of the antanna in a donut shape. Radio waves by nature grow as they propogate so the hole in the middle of the cone is closed and gone as distance increases. the second antanna should not make a difference if the receiver is farther than 10 ft in front of you and you dont have the very tip of the antanna continuously pointed directly at the receiver.
I am guessing but I believe that the 2 antennas will be polarised 90deg to each other, providing spatial diversity. Yes, that would be better than 1 antenna. That would make receiving antennas horizontally aligned to a verticle beam, read from the horizontal beam. Whether that make the system safer by a margin that we should be bothered about I dont know, but no harm in in making a safe and reliable system better even if it is a fraction.
I dont think it is marketing hogwash.
RCToon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #111
planecajun

i think youre guess is probably right with the antennas 90 degrees. The diversity is not a bad thing at all. Of course, if marketing had nothing to do with design, the 18mz wouldnt have camera, ipod and text messaging built in....LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #112
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by planecajun
View Post
It might "possibly" be a superior radio...........and it may be "safer", but at this point, all of that is pure speculation. programming is a matter of taste and personal opinion, unless functions are available that go beyond what anyone else offers. Im not a JR fan boy, i just want an honest assessment of it when it hits the market, so i can make up my own mind. It might make a great second radio for me, which is why im here.
I think my work is done here? Thank You, for not being so far from the south to not admit when you were wrong. But, You could have added "I Stand Corrected" or something along those lines. Just know that you have been Flamed and let's move on.
Paul...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #113
RCToon
Uber Contributor

And ... drum roll please,

this is probably a pre-cursor to doing away with remote receivers. Whether they provide diversity on the transmitters or on the receivers the net effect is the same, there is no real need to do it on both except in cases where a receiver is not capable of receiving signal as it is embedded in carbon or touching a metallic part effectively de-tuning the antenna.
RCToon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #114
planecajun

I dont stand corrected. Youre obviously approaching this from a FAN BOY position. Thats fine, and your perogative. You're making assumptions based on a magazine ad, and have not laid hands on the radio yet. There is nothing unbiased about your opinion, quite the contrary. It "may" be a superior radio, but i would rather make an intelligent decision based on facts and actual real world experience, and not here say from some FAN BOY who thinks its the next best thing since sliced bread based on an ad. Thanks for informing me, but i am intelligent enough to know when i've been flamed.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #115
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Dude! I fly JR too.... I am the one here asking the questions? Trying to get Info...Please ask yourself what position you took?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #116
CEThomas
My life needs editing.

View Post
I think my work is done here? Thank You, for not being so far from the south to not admit when you were wrong. But, You could have added "I Stand Corrected" or something along those lines. Just know that you have been Flamed and let's move on.
Paul...

Yes, your work is done. You have proven that my DX8 is a POS and not safe to fly my stuff till the safe DX18 is out

Anyone want to buy a DX8
Futaba 12-FG
CEThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #117
gforce
Uber Contributor

Ok why ya gotta bring up the South?
gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #118
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Ok. Sorry Ya'll
Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #119
gforce
Uber Contributor

Yea,aint no reason to be hate'in

Ahhhhh,C'mon gang,get a transmitter that works for ya and go fly,have a ball etc

If ya mad,just say ya mad!
gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #120
planecajun

View Post
Dude! I fly JR too.... I am the one here asking the questions? Trying to get Info...Please ask yourself what position you took?
The position i took was, "whether or not this radio would have features and flexibility that surpass my 12X enough to warrant changing". if the programming were intuitive enough to simplify and speed up my setups, that would be a good thing, but none of us know that yet. I can only base my opinion at this point on what ive seen in other spektrum tx's, and it was not exceedingly more simple, just slightly different. I have also learned that it has 10 full resolution channels, which is not a step up. It used the xplus which is powered by one servo connection, which i wouldnt feel comfortable with on 8 digital servos. i dont use my current receivers (mostly Spektrum) to power my servos. i use power expanders for that.

You fly JR but youre bent on wanting me to acknoledge this radio is safer before anyone even has one. Well i said, it is POSSIBLE that it is safer but i dont know that to be a fact. Either way, i was trying to conceed to the possibility without further hostility. Not sure why you decided that wasnt good enough and decided to pound your chest about it. In my opinion it just makes you look like an a$$ when you havent touched the radio. but hey, everybody has their own opinion, right?