logo
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM
UAV R&D Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
10,126 Posts
Discussion
Any Air Traffic Controllers out there?

As the title says! List your experience and where you work! I know it can be a stressful job! But one thing is for sure no one day is alike!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Sigh...really?
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Dec 2009
2,698 Posts
5 Years Navy ATC
7 Years contract at KBTL - Battle Creek Michigan
1 Year KGRR - Grand Rapids Michigan
4 Years KLAN - Lansing Michigan

about to transfer to KDTW Detroit in a few months.

I am also a controller every year at Oshkosh EAA Airventure. We do more traffic in 10 hours at Oshkosh than Atlanta or O'Hare does in 24 during the peak times. I love controlling, its my knack.
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,267 Posts
That's so cool boggin!
I'm a regular liveatc.net listener. Maybe ill have to tune into dtw some timee soon
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM
UAV R&D Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
10,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
5 Years Navy ATC

I am also a controller every year at Oshkosh EAA Airventure. We do more traffic in 10 hours at Oshkosh than Atlanta or O'Hare does in 24 during the peak times. I love controlling, its my knack.
Dang! Not bad at all. I feel like this is what I will be doing in my future. Just doing the simulators we have at our university it just seems like a lot of fun and I really enjoy it. I have worked Daytona/Orlando tracon and memphis center on the sims. Currently in Daytona Tower class.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
1,769 Posts
My wife is Ex Navy ATC from Moffet Field CA.

She enjoys telling me where to go- never listen though.
It's like she's squawking on a different freq or something...

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Sigh...really?
Joined Dec 2009
2,698 Posts
Controllers are definitely Type A personalities. We cannot stand chaos, things have to be in order, and we are constantly trying to control everything.

Sometimes its a curse, and your wife/husband has to NOT be of the same type personality.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Account Closed
United States, AR, Magnolia
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
I'm a pilot of about 7 years, and I do everything I can to avoid using flight following, and controlled airspace. I wish I had more experience talking with u guys, but I've had a few bad experiences with controllers. I don't hear so well and when u have a controller talking like he's an auctioneer, I get nervous lol. And when u say " say again please" more than once, they seem to get an attitude. I got into an almost cussing argument with little rock approach a few years ago because I couldnt find a grass strip that he was directing me too when it was right under my nose. (I was holding up a jump plane at 10k'). He told me to right a phone number down and call him when I got on the ground, so I called him and we argued some more. He was a dick, and I was too that day. But, I really need to use this service more in the future.
n2201y is offline Find More Posts by n2201y
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 AM
UAV R&D Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
10,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2201y View Post
I'm a pilot of about 7 years, and I do everything I can to avoid using flight following, and controlled airspace. I wish I had more experience talking with u guys, but I've had a few bad experiences with controllers. I don't hear so well and when u have a controller talking like he's an auctioneer, I get nervous lol. And when u say " say again please" more than once, they seem to get an attitude. I got into an almost cussing argument with little rock approach a few years ago because I couldnt find a grass strip that he was directing me too when it was right under my nose. (I was holding up a jump plane at 10k'). He told me to right a phone number down and call him when I got on the ground, so I called him and we argued some more. He was a dick, and I was too that day. But, I really need to use this service more in the future.
Come to Daytona Airport. You will learn fast and learn how to talk fast!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
UAV R&D Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
10,126 Posts
Well I just got done with the AT-SAT.....praying for well qualified status!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Flyin' Around
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Mar 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
5 Years Navy ATC

Hey Boggin -

A little off topic but was just wondering if you know my brother Lynn Demaree - he has lived in/around Lansing for quite a few years now and he flies there fairly frequently.
kevod is online now Find More Posts by kevod
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Multi Platform Pilot
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Dec 2007
6,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgood View Post

Ronster
I wonder if I spoke to her, I have a few (several) hundred hours in and out of Moffett.

As for ATC, I knew one but he sent his wife a package bomb and ended up as an episode on Forensic Files so he may not be the one to emulate
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Sigh...really?
Joined Dec 2009
2,698 Posts
@Kevod

I may, but unless I meet someone in person, I know only the voice for the most part.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 PM
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined May 2006
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2201y View Post
Just jump in there and learn how to use it..you pay for it. If they get mad, they will get over it. No one is perfect and the only to get comfy with it is to jump in there.
citrus is offline Find More Posts by citrus
Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 PM
UAV R&D Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
10,126 Posts
91.5 on the AT-SAT!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Mr. Cessna
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Sagamihara
Joined Jan 2006
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgood View Post

Ronster
I got my private pilot ticket at Moffett Field. My flight instructor was a ATC there.
japan3d is offline Find More Posts by japan3d