Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > News and Announcements > Leading Edge Homepage Article Discussions
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
SleepyC

Default 2012 Toledo Expo Wrap-up

After a seriously hectic weekend and a very lazy day of recovery I'm back to reflect on the weekend.

First off, it was so nice seeing everyone who said "Hi". That is what makes my job so special. The chance to see friends from FG and make some new connections defiantly makes all the travel and work totally worth it. The funny stories, the deep intellectual conversations (OK, I guess that is just with Ben from 3DHS.. but still) and the awesome late night antics are the main reasons we return to Toledo each and every year. The rest is seriously just a big bonus!

So speaking of the "rest", let's recap some of the things I found to be interesting at this years show:

1) DA releases 35cc, 70cc twin and 100cc inline twin.
Not much to say here but BAD ASS!!! Also, Dave and Tony both said.. we can't say what it will be but we have a BIG announcement coming at Joe Nall. So stay tuned guys. I think this one should be interesting!

www.desertaircraft.com

2) Horizon - As usual Horizon has like a million new things and cool stuff you need to have. From the awesome BNF micro glider and the new BNF mini carbon cub, to Evolution Radial engines, to the 11X to the new 30cc Yak and 20cc Tiger Moth. Once again Horizon is doing their best to take any spare money we may have! (And believe me, I'm not complaining!)

www.horizonhobby.com

3) Hobbico - Hobbico stepped up this year with some really cool items as well! From 18 MZ updates, a new 50cc Corsair ARF and the Calypso glider. A perfectly sized powered foam glider that can be bought in four different options (RTF, Tx-R and Rx-R,ARF)

http://www.hobbico.com/products.html

4) 3DHobbyshop.com - Ben and Noll and the whole 3DHS gang dropped some new EPP fatty foamies this weekend, and showed a new little EPP Edge that I can see in every trailer at every Huckfest as soon as it's released. Andrew's 2M Pattern plane, and all the rest of the 3DHS goodness was present and for sale. As usual by Saturday Morning, most of the tractor trailer of planes 3DHS had brought was SOLD OUT!

www.3dhobbyshop.com

5) Aeroworks - I got to met Kendal Simpson! He is teh nicest guy ever, and both Rocco and Kendal are really proud of their partnership to produce the 50cc version of his Checkmate biplane! Also, the new 30cc Extra 260 QB-L is HUGE! This may be a MUST HAVE airplane! Not to mention the other scale offerings Aeroworks have and are releasing soon, this company is proving that they will keep moving forward and releasing a ton of amazing planes!

www.aero-works.net

6) RC Logger - This new company makes some killer mini HD cameras, Quad copters and FPV equipment. Although not "giant scale" I can just imagine the videos one could make using their equipment. Imagine you fly around a plane hovering and then doing rolling harriers. The possibilities are endless! Also, complete automated flight is coming this summer. GPS out your field, program the quad and it could film you as you fly! SICK!

www.rclogger.com

7) Precision Aerobatics - PA dropped a new electric plane that is simply put.. awesome. This plane is set up to take a 10 lb of thrust power system, and the all up weight will be 3 lbs. Can you say INSANE power? Steve said that this plane flys MUCH bigger than it is so it's the perfect tool to practice your 40%er's routine when you can't get the big plane out! Check out our FG Toledo video coming soon for a full interview about the new plane!

www.precisionaerobatics.com

8) Esprit Models - Dropped two new radios the Jeti DS-16 and the Jeti DC-16 (Which I think Gernot used to win the ETOC!) Besides this Esprit had all kinds of cool sail planes and other doo dads that we pretty awesome.

http://www.espritmodel.com

9) Giant Model Products - These guys have been around for a little while now and seem to have some planes no one else has! Hanging from the celling was a HUGE 140" Wingspan DC-3 that seemed really nice and would really round out a nice hangar collection. I was also informed hat they sell an awesome 100cc Corsair. So check them out!

www.giantmodelproducts.com

10) Aurora RC. These guys made their first RC show with their night lighting systems. Totally the happiest people in the whole show Alex and his lady were ready to tell you that the right time is the night time! Sponsoring some of the most well known night pilots such as Yuri and Joe Smith, you can bet we will see some amazing Aurora RC sponsored night flights at Joe Nall!

http://www.aurorarc.com/

11) THE FLYING DRAGON... This Mystical Beast is Rick Hamel's creation. More than a year of time was spent creating this flying turbine dragon. The beast has an articulated head that moves with rudder inputs, eyes that let you know the receiver status and propane flames that shoot out of the mouth! The plane is made of a special nomex composite material and several other exotic materials that keep this beauty light and flying friendly. With a 22lb's of thrust I over heard Rick say that this dragon flies like a trainer!

These were so many things to see and if you have the money so many things to buy! Pretty much all the major so many RC companies are represented at the Toledo Show. So, I think teh best advice I can give you is try and make the 2013 Toledo Expo part of your RC travels next year!

OK.. I have a few more ETOC videos to edit, and then the Toledo show recap video to make so I'm getting at it!
Check back soon for those updates!
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	toledo.jpg
Views:	4208
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	458484 182.8 KB · Views: 4208

Last edited by SleepyC; 04-17-2012 at 09:47 AM.
SleepyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Trixie
is a total maniac :)

It was great to see you there Sleepy!
We had a great show, and it was definitely an awesome experience all around.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
WangoTango
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Default show

Sleepy,
Sounds like it was an awesome show. Again, thanks for the great coverage and all your hard work!
WT
WangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
littledevile420
Mode1Flyer

Thanks for all the good pics and video, now i can show people what they missed. since i didn't take as many photos.
littledevile420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
erjpilot
Uber Contributor

Sleepy,
Do you have any pics of the H9 Yak? I missed that one.
Thanks, Travis

erjpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
McFueler
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

That dragon was really Cool !
Old 04-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Wesse
Die Hard Futaba Man

DA makes the rules

I love Bill Hempel
I love Desert Aircraft
I love Futaba
I love Nelly
I love myself to
Wesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
littledevile420
Mode1Flyer

i heard the dragon sold for a pretty penny at the show.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
RCgirl
Team 3DHS

The Toledo show was awesome!!!!! i cant wait for the Nall!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
littledevile420
Mode1Flyer

i can't wait to see the new da35. if it come out like the 60 and 120 we may have the new ticket for 30cc. maybe there should be a king30 since they are sooooo popular for people starting out into giant scale.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
theKM
needs more yaw authority

Quote: Originally Posted by littledevile420
View Post
i can't wait to see the new da35. if it come out like the 60 and 120 we may have the new ticket for 30cc. maybe there should be a king30 since they are sooooo popular for people starting out into giant scale.

35cc plane would qualify for the King50... it would be over 10lbs. My 3DHS 74" Edge 540 with an OS GT33 is 10.5lbs, and I'm seriously considering its use this year. Devin McGrath has used his 78" Extra both years and planes of that size don't give up much in the way of presence to the 50cc planes when you're flying it nice and low
theKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
littledevile420
Mode1Flyer

thas true. i think i may use one also. i liked my 78"extra. mine weighed 12lbs with a 30 and tuned pipe. i didn't relize weight over turned engine cc.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
lou782
3D-a-holic

Thanks for all the coverage!!
EF Edge 540T
lou782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Coletrane
"Team JR"

Quote: Originally Posted by erjpilot
View Post
Sleepy,
Do you have any pics of the H9 Yak? I missed that one.
Thanks, Travis
X's2

And thank you very much for your hard work bud. I came by 2-3 times, but the RC Groups space was "un-attended"... Great job though!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
SleepyC

Quote: Originally Posted by Coletrane
View Post
X's2

And thank you very much for your hard work bud. I came by 2-3 times, but the RC Groups space was "un-attended"... Great job though!
That is not a "booth".... it is just a home base for us to upload our coverage. If we sat in the booth all day, how would we cover the event?!?!
SleepyC is offline   Reply With Quote