Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #16
Jaybird
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Default Re: Zurich sunglasses?

Those Zurich glasses look like the ones my Grandma wears over her bifocals! I can't stand for glasses to distort around the edges, gives me a headache. I like Costa Del Mar although some people say that polarized glasses mess up your depth perception. I haven't noticed it.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #17
R/CAV8r
Flyin' Around

I bought a pair of Zurichs @ Joe Nall '05. 2 weeks after that, one morning I noticed the passenger door was open, console open, glasses removed from carring case, case put back into console, glasses gone. I had 2 30% Yaks, all "runnin' gear", fuel, trannys in the back,,, They only took the glasses,,, Who'd a 'thunk' !
Bought another pair @ J.N. '06. $80. I like 'em.
R/CAV8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
Badge
Gettin' Lower!

I have 2 pairs in my truck because Im always forgetting my other pair, I have a pair in the boat and I keep a pair at the hobby shop that I fly at so basically no matter where I go Ive got mine. I wear glasses so I have the "granny sunglasses" but you know what you never hear me saying.....Wheres my plane!!!!
Badge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
krashmaster81
What goes up, must come down!

Send a message via AIM to krashmaster81 Send a message via MSN to krashmaster81

Serengeti or Maui Jims are probably the best you can get... Personally, I can't stand the looks of the Zurichs. Currently, I wear a pair of Smiths with interchangeable lenses. These suit me well as I fly full scale, rc, a lot of driving, and mountain biking. Covering all the bases with one pair of glasses took me a while, but finally found a pair that does it pretty well (smith factor max). Check em out, lots of lens options.

-Matt
krashmaster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
Dennis C
I have Issues

I bought a set from NYX Sport they come with 3 different shades.

Here is there site address plus there in TX also.

www.nyxsports.com
Old 09-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #21
Boghatize
Foamy's and Fatty's BABY!

I had the originals for several years....they are hard to wear for any extended periods, as they are heavy and as previously stated, tend to "dig in" and become uncomfortable.

Also, my friends have referred to them as "male birth control devices"...(OK, they don't look so cool)

I tried the new ones last winter and I found that they are horribly distorted at all the edges, just trying to focus gave me an instant headache.

OK, so I always wear eyewear, all day, rain or shine.
I was almost blinded 25 years ago when I lived in Colorado, was 10 miles out cross-country skiing and fell, loosing my sunglasses.
By the time I got back to the vehicle, all i could see was shapes, and the color red.
Took a full month, but my vision returned....forever UV sensitive.

my advice to you would be to invest in a exellent quality pair of polorized sunglasses.
Maui Jim
Rayban
Oakley
Plan on at least a hundred bucks, I promise you you will thank me later.

I have to pair that I rotate through, brown for overcast days, use them all winter, better contrast, dark grey for sunbrite days.
good luck,
Mike

As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another.
Proverbs 27:17

www.3dfoamy.com
Boghatize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:35 PM   #22
rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS

just my 2 cents. these glasses (zurich) are by far the best glasses i own for flying. i just bought a pair at top gun this year. i had a pair that i had made for me, plus every pair know to mankind. and the zurich are by far the best i own for FLYING.. now i didnt like the new style when i tryed them on, but the old style worked for me. i also agree that you arent going to pick up any groupies wearing them, but if you are the best flyer at the field it dosent matter what you wear. all eyes are on you and your plane if ya picking up what i'am laying down.. but do yourself a favor go to an event where they are selling them and try them on.. there are different colors and what works for me might not work for you. if you see someone wearing them ask to look through them.chances are they will even try too talk you into it, every body i have asked let me, and thats how i found the color that worked for my eyes... just dont take someones word for it, try them and see........ good luck
rede2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:53 PM   #23
ShortBus
Workin' the pole

Send a message via AIM to ShortBus

So which is the best lens to get to fly?
ShortBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #24
3D-Seth
Horizon Hobby Employee

Send a message via Yahoo to 3D-Seth

You cant go wrong with using zurichs - they are by far the best sunglasses!
3D-Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:09 AM   #25
Boghatize
Foamy's and Fatty's BABY!

One more note, the folks who rep and sell the Zurichs are absoultly top-notch professional folks.
They really care about us, the modeling segment, and their customer service skills are famous.

Really, the color and type depend on your personal vision strengths and weaknesses.
What is the normal weather when you fly?
Regional weather makes a difference.
In the winter here in the Great Northwest, we have mostly overcast, grey days. Amber/brown/gold really help your plane stand out, because the grey skys just don't offer much contrast, ergo keeping your plane in the box is harder to do, judging depth and distance is clearly diminnished. ambers/browns/gold lenses help tremendously making the edges stay sharp and defined.

If glare is ever a problem for you, (it always is for me) then you need to choose a polorized lens in addition to the preffered color choice for your style of flying.

Depending on how your home field sits in relationship to the sun will determine other colors to consider, sun in eyes in morning for me require a green/blue tint...afternoons in the heat of the day, sun to the West, harsher light, a grey/dark offer me the best vision.

A couple of folks have come out of the closet and admitted as much their affliction for proper and exellence in eyewear.
Yup, count me amoung 'em.

Serengettis are my favorite brands in the ambers/browns/reds for winter flying, for some reason they just seem to consistantly be better suited in overcast climes. Availible at most Costco's (online too) and probrably are the best value in the 50-80 buck range.

Maui Jims are the higest quality optical ground glass I have ever seen consistantly, they are perfectly clear at all edges, never ever a distortion, and their polorized greens/greys have no equal in any situation where there is water involved. Spendiest of all the popular brands, expect to shell out a buck fiddy or more...

My personal overall everyday favorite are still the tried and true Ray-Bans, optical ground polorized grey mediums for driving and just overall comfort, day in, day out. Costco sells these too, at a fairly respectible price....from 50-100 bucks.

Oakley makes some fine optics as well, and I have an older pair of Romeos that need lenses, that I just wouldn't take off inside or out for a year or so...they have the gold irridum fire lenses that look buggy from the outside, but Oh -so-cool looking from the inside out.
Overall Oakley has the style points, but have been known to be a wee bit distorted from time to time at the edges on some styles.
Spendy too, from 40-400 b ucks...

One more great thing about Zurich's, if you do happen to wear prescription glasses, the original Zurichs were designed to fit over most styles of eyewear, making them the best choice for flyers who have to wear glasses to see. I remember from once upon a time when you bought 2 or more pair at a time (different colors,remember?) they gave some pretty smokin' deals.....

Sorry for the diatribe, and it is too late for spell check, G'nite!

As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another.
Proverbs 27:17

www.3dfoamy.com
Boghatize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #26
kelvindisouza
Flyin' Around

No i didn't use this Zurich sunglasses till now...I use the Oakley sunglasses when i fly ...Its really thrilling experience to use good set of sunglasses for flying.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
toad
Straight up Huckin!

Not to derail here...but...I wear glasses and have from as long as I can remember had a pair of prescription sun glasses as well. Something like the Zurichs over my glasses just makes me mental...I can stand the frame over frame thing. Additionally I have yet in over 10 years of wearing perscription sunglasses managed to find a pair that I actually liked. The closest I have come was special ordering a pair of Oakleys with factory done scrip lenese in them. At $550 for the pair...I am looking to do something different this time around.

Anyone have any suggestions?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #28
DKnippen
In The Box

www.modelglassesusa.com

I had my prescription for distance put in these and what a difference. Very lite and comfortable. They won't dig in the sides of your head after wearing them either. You get three different easy to change lenses as well
DKnippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #29
zzw26n
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I second the Model Glasses, really nice. Different Lens you can put on based on Sun light and very comfortable. The Best money I've spent on the Hobby so far.

Quote: Originally Posted by DKnippen
View Post
www.modelglassesusa.com

I had my prescription for distance put in these and what a difference. Very lite and comfortable. They won't dig in the sides of your head after wearing them either. You get three different easy to change lenses as well
zzw26n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #30
toad
Straight up Huckin!

I will give em a shot...thanks guys!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote