Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
devildog_0431
Doo It! Doo It!

Default Need help mixing smoke/throttle

I'm trying to figure out a new radio (JR X9503) I got and want to mix the smoke with the throttle. My smoke is hooked up to Aux 4, since the 9303/9503 are so similiar can somebody who runs smoke please tell me how to set it up from start to finish, Program Mix 1 i put throttle and Aux 4, I flip the switch and the pump doesn't come on ? I'll fine tune the curves tomorrow when I run it. My kill switch is on the Gear Switch too.

Last edited by devildog_0431; 07-13-2012 at 11:18 PM.
devildog_0431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
FHHuber
on a vacation

Plug a servo into the pump channel and watch how it tracks. If a servo is responding appropriately then you have the mix working and the issue is somewhere else. (or might have to do with travel range not "initializing" the ESC driving the pump motor)

I put my kill on gear channel too... I use a different channel and switch for retracts when I have them.
FHHuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Tankd
Doo It! Doo It!

I have a TBM pump with a 9503. I put the pump on a program mix 1. #Thr>AUX4 with switch select as aile D/R to turn it on/off. Made a point curve on where the throttle/pump should be working. I put the travel adj on AUX4 to +150%-150%. This works for me.
Tankd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
devildog_0431
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by Tankd
View Post
I have a TBM pump with a 9503. I put the pump on a program mix 1. #Thr>AUX4 with switch select as aile D/R to turn it on/off. Made a point curve on where the throttle/pump should be working. I put the travel adj on AUX4 to +150%-150%. This works for me.

Is there anyway you could take a screen shot of your DEVICE. SEL and MIX 1 and anything else pertenant to this ? I hooked the smoke pump up to my aux 1 channel which is my left aileron, it turns on slow then fast the farther over I move the lever. When I first plugged everything in the pump would turn on a constant fast rate when I flipped the Aux 4 Rudd D/R switch but I must've messed something up trying to do all this mix stuff so I cleared all the mixes. I see that Prog. Mix 1 is different from say Program Mix 3, 1 has more options with the curve. 3 doesn't. ?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
devildog_0431
Doo It! Doo It!

I have the Aux 4 Activated and I can see it move under the servo monitor screen, the pump has power but won't turn on with the Aux 4 switch activated ? But I can plug the pump into one of my Aileron extensions and move the stick and it'll turn on. I've swapped all the 6in extensions and they all work.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
devildog_0431
Doo It! Doo It!

I've been on the phone with Horizon Technical Service and my suspicions of something being wrong with the reciever have been near validated. He was on the phone with me using a X9503 as well walking me through every step and keeping it simple stupid to ensure we were on the same page, which in this case I don't mind cause I want to cover every aspect of this problem and what could cause it, big or small. I can plug the pump into any other channel and it works fine from slow to high rate, if I plug it into Aux 4 Rx Port it now just turns on full blast and I can't control it, same thing if I plug another servo into Aux 4, it will engage one way and not let off and can't control it. I also made a new model in my radio and tried assigning different switches to Aux 4 and same thing. Looks like I will have to send the Rx into Horizon to get it repaired/replaced. I'm pretty upset after waiting a month to maiden it and then I get everything installed to learn that the Rx has a problem, I'm also glad Horizon and Jr have a good warranty system. The RX is the R921x.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Tankd
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by devildog_0431
View Post
I have the Aux 4 Activated and I can see it move under the servo monitor screen, the pump has power but won't turn on with the Aux 4 switch activated ? But I can plug the pump into one of my Aileron extensions and move the stick and it'll turn on. I've swapped all the 6in extensions and they all work.
In the device select, I have AUX4 then for the switch AILE D/R then INH at the bottom. Then to the monitor, I watch AUX4 and the slider dot turns black or open with the throttle movement and switch position to turn on/off. This is the throttle curve that I want to mix with.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Tankd
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by devildog_0431
View Post
I've been on the phone with Horizon Technical Service and my suspicions of something being wrong with the reciever have been near validated. He was on the phone with me using a X9503 as well walking me through every step and keeping it simple stupid to ensure we were on the same page, which in this case I don't mind cause I want to cover every aspect of this problem and what could cause it, big or small. I can plug the pump into any other channel and it works fine from slow to high rate, if I plug it into Aux 4 Rx Port it now just turns on full blast and I can't control it, same thing if I plug another servo into Aux 4, it will engage one way and not let off and can't control it. I also made a new model in my radio and tried assigning different switches to Aux 4 and same thing. Looks like I will have to send the Rx into Horizon to get it repaired/replaced. I'm pretty upset after waiting a month to maiden it and then I get everything installed to learn that the Rx has a problem, I'm also glad Horizon and Jr have a good warranty system.
With the TBM, the pump will goto full blast at initial start. They called it smart prime. I'll toggle the switch on/off to stop this. I'll run the motor, turn on the switch, slowly increase throttle to start the pump. Farther the throttle, faster the pump, again as this on the curve.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
devildog_0431
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by Tankd
View Post
With the TBM, the pump will goto full blast at initial start. They called it smart prime. I'll toggle the switch on/off to stop this. I'll run the motor, turn on the switch, slowly increase throttle to start the pump. Farther the throttle, faster the pump, again as this on the curve.

Toggeling the switch won't turn it off either, same goes if I just plug a servo into that channel. Even if the Tx is turned off and I turn the Rx battery on, the pump will turn on full blast, same with any other servo plugged into Aux 4. Something is wrong with the Aux 4 port on the Rx. Perhaps a solder joint or some kind of failure, I just got this in the mail yesterday too