Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 08-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Bikman
on a vacation

Default Corona FASST 14ch

has anyone tried the new Corona FASST compatible receivers ?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=292

Bikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
XJet
Uber Contributor

Be careful with Corona -- their QC is not always as good as one would hope.

I'd use a FrSky FASST compatible receiver any day, not so sure I'd use a Corona one.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses

I'll try one on an indoor blimp!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Robotech
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by Flyfalcons
View Post
You're braver than I am.
Robotech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
birdbrain
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by Flyfalcons
View Post
I married one of those . Cheers the brain
birdbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Bikman
on a vacation

Quote: Originally Posted by XJet
View Post
Be careful with Corona -- their QC is not always as good as one would hope.
will you review any of those receivers ?
did you already ask Corona/HK for a free sample ?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
XJet
Uber Contributor

If enough people ask then I will review the Corona FASST receivers but so far this is the only flicker of interest I've received.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
49dimes
My heads in the clouds not my;

I am trying one with a 10C module system. Have not flown it yet but ground checks are very solid so far. Reviews at hobby king put it at 5 crowns. Will put it in a trainer and fly everything I can throw at it
to see if it stays locked in. Will post reply when air borne test is done.
49dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
TITAN7
Flyin' Around

Hi all.Have been flying this 14 channel receiver with 8FG for about 9 months now everything been perfect (touch wood ) so far.
TITAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
49dimes

OK just a word; Ran my da 120 on my extreme flight 104 inch extra with this receiver. Plane shakes good so its a good test on the ground. I am also using the HK/Turnigy Power box with built in ignition cut off. It appears the receiver is rock solid under operating vibrations of the 120 however the UBEC power box keeps shutting of power to the ignition when advancing throttle. What's most concerning is the reverse selection of the switch on my transmitter turns power back on and vise a versa when it cuts power again on its own. It appears the Turnigy UBEC power box "yellow" is at fault and would cause a crash due to flame out in a hover! or other extreme maneuver. I have a trainer plane near completion to test on board RC products and will put every thing in it to have a definitive real world working test on how this receiver does in the air. As far as the power box; It could be fatal to your air frame. Looks like Shure Flight will get my business. I would not trust the TURNIGY! I think these are actually manufactured by a China company called RCCSKJ electronic.

Last edited by 49dimes; 04-04-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: proper manufacturer
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Huffy
Doo It! Doo It!

I tried 1 of these last year with a Futaba 8Fg, it failed the range test. I could only get 50 feet out of it, so I took it out of the aircraft and sat it on a stand, 3 feet above the ground. I only gained another 10 feet. It is a classic piece of HK ****. I was willing to try it in an old trainer that was expendable, But later Thought to myself what had happened if it went off the air and hurt or killed someone. I now only use brand X with Brand X, it does work out cheaper in the long run!
Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
49dimes

I have to agree. It seems to be hit and miss with the hobby king brands. 30 bucks for the R14F is just to good to be true. The 45 bucks for the UBEC power box was a waste of money
Genuine futaba for the 104 inch extra It is ! Shure Flight for servo management it is !
Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Bikman
on a vacation

corona relabel http://www.derkum-modellbau.com/inde...1-d-power.html
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
49dimes

I have the 14 channel mounted in a vintage Eagle II trainer. Just my thoughts and nothing more....
will test this receiver with a 10 channel fasst module TM 10 with a 10 cap transmitter in the 10 channel mode. I have seen most complaints about this receiver come from guys using the 8FG transmitter thusly having to use a different sub protocol other than 10 channel mode. I think maybe
this may be the only issue with this receiver is its latency goes to s..t when using other than 10 channel or 14 channel sub protocals/modes. Weather permitting this receiver goes in the air this weekend! Will let you know what happens. I also retract my statement about the RCCSKJ power box. It was only a loose connector on the ignition battery which I have changed out with a heavy duty XT60 type. The DA 120 Rocks fine with this set up!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
49dimes

Got to the field today and flew the Corona R14FA receiver 6 times with no troubles whatsoever.
The set up in the Eagle 2 is as follows... 2S 2200ma Lipo to receiver via Miracle heavy duty switch.
4 Blue Bird BMS 1715 coreless digital servos. OS 56a four stroker for power. All flights went smoothly. Flew the plane to extended ranges where orientation is difficult to see. I estimate this to be at least 2000 feet to point of transmitter antennae to airplane. Input commands instantly transmitted to aircraft at all times no matter what the orientation of aircraft. The weather was mild at 70 degrees with an Easterly/N Easterly wind at 6 to 12 Knots. The receiver antennae are oriented at a 90 degree angle to each other inside the fuse and are both pointing towards the rear of the fuse following the right side of plane. The receiver was set to operate in the high speed mode with the digital servos. The receiver was mounted inside the fuse to a wooden plate using double sided foam tape only. I will fly this set up for an extended period just to post to this thread from time to time. As of today, the Corona R14FA shows promise to be an affordable alternative for Futaba FASST systems in the 10 channel mode. I have a buddy with an 18MZ. We will link the model to this radio and fly it as well. Will let you know.