Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Topics > Nitro Power
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
flyboy9994
Gettin' Lower!

Default OS 95AX. The good, the bad, the ugly?

OK. My last glow plane is on the bench as I'm switching to gas after this one: Aeroworks 60-90 Extra 300. I have an OS 75AX in an Escapade .61 and it runs perfect so I figured the 95AX would be great for the Extra 300. Well, like anything else, I like to do a bunch of research and to my surprise the OS 95AX has some really bad horror stories about trying to get them running right. If the 95AX is that bad I'll probably just throw another 75AX in it and call it done. I will NOT be using this plane for 3D but would like "spirited" aerobatic capability. Plane has 60" wingspan and will weigh about 7 to 7.5 lbs when done. Not interested in 4-stroke or gas for this one. 2 stroke glow only.

Please tell me your OS 95AX stories, good and bad. Thanks.
flyboy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
wylieruneyjr
RUTNBUC

Considering the weight, and wing span , I'd say the .75 will fly the living crap out of it. Hell the size you quote is .60 size anyway. RUTNBUC
Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
flyboy9994
Gettin' Lower!

Hey RUTNBUC

Definitely gotta agree with you. The 75AX in the Escapade yanks it around pretty good and it's probably a good pound heavier than this Extra will be. I guess what I'm trying to get at is this will be my last glow engine for a very long time if not forever and want a really good 90 class 2 stroke in addition to the 75. Iv'e had great luck with the 75AX and was hoping for the same in the 95AX.

I already have a Mintor 22cc gas engine and it was going in this AW Extra but my plans for the Mintor have changed so the Extra is going to stay glow. This particilur kit is already set-up for glow and I have read some accounts about the 95AX working very well in this plane. However I have also read the many other stories about the numerous problems some people are having with the 95AX. Just trying to see if the positves outweigh the negatives... Thanks

Randy
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
tenspeed59
Wing and a Prayer Repair

Default OS 95 AX

Quote: Originally Posted by flyboy9994
View Post
Hey RUTNBUC

Definitely gotta agree with you. The 75AX in the Escapade yanks it around pretty good and it's probably a good pound heavier than this Extra will be. I guess what I'm trying to get at is this will be my last glow engine for a very long time if not forever and want a really good 90 class 2 stroke in addition to the 75. Iv'e had great luck with the 75AX and was hoping for the same in the 95AX.

I already have a Mintor 22cc gas engine and it was going in this AW Extra but my plans for the Mintor have changed so the Extra is going to stay glow. This particilur kit is already set-up for glow and I have read some accounts about the 95AX working very well in this plane. However I have also read the many other stories about the numerous problems some people are having with the 95AX. Just trying to see if the positves outweigh the negatives... Thanks

Randy

Randy,
Keep in mind the fact that not very many people take any time out to write a review of ANY sort of an item unless it is bad for whatever reason.....so research is skewed in a negative manner from the get go anyhow....but then again I'm sure I didn't need to mention this to you anyway.....just sayin.....I for one have no experience with the OS .95 AX as the largest one I own is a .75 AX also.....and it does everything it was intended to do....and lots more too....just something to ponder is all....
Mark
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
flyboy9994
Gettin' Lower!

Good point Mark. Makes perfect sense that most would post about a problem vs a good running engine. I do a lot of reading/research before I buy most of my higher end purchases i.e. kits, engines, radios etc. A good example is my new Spektrum DX8 I bought a few months ago. HUGE number of problems with the DX8 when it first came out a couple of years ago but those problems have been resolved and I have had zero problems with mine but I learned through research that this particular radio had the bugs worked out before I purchased it. (vigorously knocking on wood)!

Getting back to the OS 95AX it seemed there was a larger than normal amount of problems with this engine and I'm trying to avoid a headache as I'm fully aware there are good engines and bad engines. Bad engines can make your life misereable for sure. Also, I am a huge fan of OS glow engines so I'm a little surprised about these problems with the 95AX. Again, I have the 55AX and 75AX that run just about perfect. I'm guessing out of the thousands of 95AX's sold that most are OK. Thanks again.

Randy
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
GravyGoodness
3D Farmer 4 Life

The Escapade and this Extra are totally different classes of planes, even though it called itself a .60-.90 size - you are thinking right going with the 90.

I have heard zero problems with the 95 since it has been released. I worked at a hobby shop for 7 years and never heard anything bad - bear in mind I have not looked either. As far as people that have bought one I have seen none returned. I don't know if a lot of people are jumping in with both feet into the large glow scene, or if the only people writing reviews have had negative experiences. I'd think if you have a bit of glow experience you should fare well, especially if you know how to break in and tune a motor.

A Hacker electric setup would be great in that plane though......

GravyGoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
flyboy9994
Gettin' Lower!

Hey GravyGoodness

What you say make a lot of sense. I guess your right about the large scale glow stuff kinda fading away that's for sure. I myself am changing over to gas and am definitely looking forward to that but I want to keep a couple of glow's in the hangar for whatever reason. Anyway, thanks for the input and I will be pulling the trigger on the 95AX very soon. Definitely have a lot of experience with glow and consider myself an "adequate" tuner so I'm not too worried about that.

While I have had a ton of fun with the Escapade it's time to move on and that brings us to the Extra. I had the OS 55AX sitting in box begging for a home and after searching for weeks, came across a great little 50 size SBach from Goldwing and this thing flies unbelievably well, hence my desire to move into the highly aerobatic stuff i.e. the AW Extra 300 etc. The Mintor 22cc I have in the wings is going into the recently released 3DHS 70" Velox but I want to get a bunch of stick time on the Extra before I tackle the Velox. Seriously considered moving the 75AX from the Escapade to the AW Extra but I really want that 95AX so it shall be!

Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

P.S. The electric stuff definitely interests me but I simply can't get used to the lack of noise, smoke, smell, feel etc. Maybe later!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
bbtoyz
Flyin' Around

I am using the 95AX in a RC91 and it runs great. Choke it with 5 or 6 flips, go to an idle and do a back flip, and 9 times out of 10, it will start on the first back flip. I have never had an issue with it. Been flying it on a 15-8 APC prop, Cool Power 15% fuel for the past 2 years. Great engine.
bbtoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!

Is the backflip mandatory?I never could those without injuring myself.
Siko_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote