Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
ExtPlt
Doo It! Doo It!

Default DLE 55RA whos running them and how do you like it

Im looking at getting the DLE55RA (the rear exhaust version) and was wondering what people think of them. Is there a performance advantage or disadvantage? Are there heating issues?
I like the layout of the exhaust, but it also seems like it could cause heating issues and carb related problems due to the heat. Maybe Im over thinking it, but this looks like the perfect engine for my new project assuming there are no issues with it.
What do you guys think that are running them? Is it worth it or should I just get a regular side exhaust 55 and use the Pits muffler?
ExtPlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
mtickel25
Tickel

i dont think much is different with it being rear exhaust....just dont have to use a wrap around muffler....i would imagine same performance as dle55....if that is the truth then im satisfied with my dle, plenty of power for my aeroworks 88"...
mtickel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Kevin Y
JTEC RADIOWAVE

Send a message via AIM to Kevin Y

I don't know if there are enough 55RA's out there yet for you to get a good feel for performance.

you should have no problem with heating issues on the carb or anything like that. The muffler will still be far enough away from the exhuast. The exhaust issue that you may run into is noise issues. Depending on the airplane you are putting the engine in you may be more limited on exhaust options. In many cases you are going to see a decrease in volume on the mufflers so it will be louder.
Kevin Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
ExtPlt
Doo It! Doo It!

Well, I hope they are good because I bought one from Valley View RC. Guess Ill be letting you guys know how it turns out.
The 55 is going on a 25% Hempel Super Decathlon. I like the idea of the muffler in the rear so I dont have to hack the cowling in the front like I had to do on other planes. And if there is a heat issue, there are inlets I can use to make ducting.
ExtPlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
N726AC
100LL User

Been really happy with one. The installation is nice without hacking the cowling. DLE claims 100 more RPM but I can't quantify that. I can say it starts, idles, transitions and runs really well. Muffler is not the quietest, but not obnoxious either. Not sure how you could use a header and pipe or canister.

TonyG@RedAeroRC.com

N726AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Michel Gravelle
Flyin' Around

Hi

I just received my new DLE-55RA , and , I am quite impressed . At first look ,.... very clean and well packed . The first thing I noticed was that there was no tube , comeing from the crank-case to the carb ,................... finally . I think this is one of the items , that makes it look clean . The engines supports look very beefy . This is an engines built expressly for RC through and through . I really like the slanted plug look , lowers the profile . And of course , lets not forget about the ignition system , finally ,.................. we can use a 2 cell lipo ,............... what took them so long ? .

I now have a , dle-55RA , a DLE-35RA X2 , and a DLE-20 .

Michel
Michel Gravelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
clivem
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by Michel Gravelle
View Post
Hi

I just received my new DLE-55RA , and , I am quite impressed . At first look ,.... very clean and well packed . The first thing I noticed was that there was no tube , comeing from the crank-case to the carb ,................... finally . I think this is one of the items , that makes it look clean . The engines supports look very beefy . This is an engines built expressly for RC through and through . I really like the slanted plug look , lowers the profile . And of course , lets not forget about the ignition system , finally ,.................. we can use a 2 cell lipo ,............... what took them so long ? .

I now have a , dle-55RA , a DLE-35RA X2 , and a DLE-20 .

Michel
youve always been able to use a 2 cell lipo with a voltage regulator. my guess is now they have just built in a VR ? I have asked but not had answers so i could be wrong ....
clivem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
Michel Gravelle
Flyin' Around

Ho
Ok OK ,.................. I,ll say it properly ,....................... a two cell lipo with no regulator,..........picky picky .

BTW ,.............. we could also use a 6 cell car battery / regulator ,..........
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
TimBle
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

you could but take off could take a while.

better still, head off to home mart and get a long wall plug extension lead, That way you can fly off Mains. At least you know you can't fly to far away from yourself
TimBle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
clivem
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by Michel Gravelle
View Post
Ho
Ok OK ,.................. I,ll say it properly ,....................... a two cell lipo with no regulator,..........picky picky .

BTW ,.............. we could also use a 6 cell car battery / regulator ,..........

sorry i am not trying to be funny, I just believe they have just included a regulator. Like i say i could be wrong but getting them to run on higher voltages............ i think there would just be more internal problems.......
clivem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Show871
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I am looking at a dle 55ra also. I cant seem to find anyone who has ran one after the other. I did hear the new 55 is 100 or so rpm higher than a dle 55 with the side dump. I am now running a side dump 55 with a jtec pitts that tached about 150-200 lower than side dump muffler.

Soooooo with with those numbers, if you were running a pitts on the old dle 55 like I was, achiveing the same exhaust configuration with the "stock rear muffler" on the new 55r maybe a 250-300 total rpm increase ????????
shoot even 200 would be very noticable

Has anyone tached a new 55r or directly compared numbers between the two????

TourPlay Golf Greens
http://tourplaygolf.com
Show871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
rob20rx7
Flyin' Around

I have one im going to put into a new Project i will start after christmas. (GP Revolver 50cc) i will let you know how that turns out.
rob20rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 crash@ a time!

Here's a quote from a guy wjcalhoun on RCU that has tried the new 55RA on his Revolver:

"On the positive side, i am really impressed with the DLE55RA. It drew fuel and fired choked with 3 flips, and started and ran with three more. The fuel tank holds, I am estimating, 40oz, so one has the possibility of long run times.

After 15-20 min of idle -> midrange -> idle and a small mount of LS and HS needle adjustment, the engine ran WOT at 6500rpm. By the end of the tank (about an hour run time altogether), she turned 6750-6800 with a Xoar 22x10 beech prop. With that
setup, i measured 27#8oz of thrust, so i have a T/W now of almost 1.5:1, which may get better with time. The engine runs smoothly, and even brand new would idle reliably at 1700rpm. Broken in, it will probably idle down to 1550 or 1600 like the DLE55 will.

My well-broken in DLE55 engines only turn 6800-6830 on the ground with the same prop, so I think the 55RA may well be good for the advertised 100 extra rpm."

Sounds like he is already getting the same rpm on the same prop as his own standard DLE55, so a little more run time might give him a little more rpm on the RA as well...
Seagull 120 Decathlon/VV 20
BH Mosquito 4S twin
wyo69cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Michel Gravelle
Flyin' Around

Hi

I believe that his numbers , are up there with the big guys ,,.................... so far, so good . With those numbers , it will only get better.

Michel
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Fl_Matt
Flyin' Around

Got my DLE 55RA fired up for the first time today. Popped after only 3 flips of it choked and started after 2 more flips with choke off. Only took a small amount of adjustment to have it running perfect. It turned a Vess 22a @ 7650 peak rpm after only 10 minutes run time I richened it up until the rpm dropped to 7550. Ran it on the ground for maybe a total of 15 minutes and less than 10 ounces of fuel, filled the plane up and took to the sky. This thing pulled a 15lb Ultimate like it was a feather. Great running engine.
Fl_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote