Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
dwmumford
Flyin' Around

Default ZDZ 210 Inline twin cooling

I am looking for someone that has this engine. I am wondering how to make sure you get cooling to that 2nd cylinder. The engine will be used in a 1/3 scale P-40.
dwmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
Languid Virago
Chix fly too.

There is a 1/3rd scale Spitfire near me with a ZDZ 210 in it, same probs as the 'stang, I will try and find contact details of the guy.

I have the same problem on a 1/4 scale p51 I am building with a twin inline engine. I can't see how to get the airflow without excessive cutouts, I know of a guy who had to reduce the size of the engine, went from a 150 twin to a 110, which seems to have solved the problem.

But really you need to duct from one side of the engine to the other, not front to back. Max volume, minimum restrictions, smooth curves, tight shrouding and 5 times the exit ducts to inlet ones. Really hard to do on a mustang and keep it looking scale, so much so I was looking at liquid cooling the heads. I'll be using the da 100 inline if they ever actually get around to selling them, as I have a couple of used cylinders spare to use to test the liquid cooling principle.
Languid Virago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
dwmumford
Flyin' Around

Thanks for the reply. Actually I posted this for a friend who is building the 1/3 scale P-51. He also has a 1/4 scale p-51 and the same problem. His name is Dave Nash. If you get a contact I will put him in touch with him. Those war birds are problematic with the cooling when you use inline engines. But like you say if you get the flow from one side to another...that is the secret. thanks.
dwmumford is offline   Reply With Quote