logo
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,076 Posts
Discussion
What Will 2013 Bring to the Hobby Industry?

I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday Season! As we get back to some sort of normality, it's time to think about the upcoming year. What will 2013 hold for the hobby industry? A few years back, the new year brought 2.4 radios, and changed the fly-in as we knew it. Then a few years later, battery technology changed and allowed electric flight to become more prominent and affordable. Then the past few years has seen the rise of affordable, excellent flying ARF and RTF airplanes in sizes ranging from micro to 45%! It truly is an excellent time to be involved in this wonderful hobby.

So, my question to you guys: what new products or what new direction do you see the hobby industry moving into for 2013? Are there any new technologies that you feel will be a game changer? Any new advancements that will take an existing product and make it even better? Let's hear your thoughts.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Last edited by FG MOD; 12-27-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by jm_mac
Shut up....AND THROW DOWN!
the STICKS and yes, california has sticks, CA.
Joined May 2009
1,653 Posts
Pilot RC kits for about $500. Lets do that!!!!! Someone!!!!
jm_mac is offline Find More Posts by jm_mac
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by polenz
GR Modelparts
Caxias do Sul - RS - BRASIL
Joined Mar 2006
34 Posts
In my opinion the AS3X technology that we can see usually in micro airplanes will be disseminated to giant models
polenz is offline Find More Posts by polenz
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by flymedic
Huckin Fire Trucker
United States, AZ, Littlefield
Joined Jan 2008
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm_mac View Post
Pilot RC kits for about $500. Lets do that!!!!! Someone!!!!
NOW THAT WOULD BE A KICK IN THE PANTS KIT TO BUILD RIGHT THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any one of them in the 35 / 36% range................... Hells yes !!!!!!!!!!
flymedic is offline Find More Posts by flymedic
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by gforce
Southeast USA
Joined Jan 2006
715 Posts
Quadcopter tech is and will be in demand big time for 2013 as I see it. On another note,Pilot RC needs to build a BIG ARSE ULTIMATE! Hey Tony,Wazz up!!

Oh,More hot chicks with a Crystal Ball FO SHO!!
gforce is offline Find More Posts by gforce
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post
Quadcopter tech is and will be in demand big time for 2013 as I see it.
YEP.. and Hex and Octo and Y6 and X8.. I am addicted.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Southeast USA
Joined Jan 2006
715 Posts
I am starting out with the new DJI Phantom for my gopro stuff,however I can see where this is gonna go soon! Mo Bigga DJI stuff!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,501 Posts
Buddy of mine had one of them real nice quadcopters ($2500.00) and had lots of fun with it shooting video for us at local events. He was flying it for his neighbors one day and lost it in Gaveston bay.....OUCH!
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by leelee
Knife Edge
United States, NC, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2006
810 Posts
Extreme flight needs to come out with a biplane. Maybe 30cc-50cc size.
leelee is online now Find More Posts by leelee
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,076 Posts
Quote:
Mo Bigga DJI stuff!
Skip it, the bigger DJi stuff is like a 33% plane. It seems like a good idea until you waste the money on it.

700mm - 1000mm custom Y6 or X8 is where it's at. That with a 3 axis gimbal with GPS, and waypoint.

Oh yea!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by shadow1100
Spinner Expert
Snellville, Ga
Joined May 2006
898 Posts
I predict a highly competitive battle of the servo manufacturers. Now we have new players in the game I hope to see some new design features, better cases, better mounting options, when will a servo co. change where the servo lead wires come out of the case. Instead of right under the mounting tab which then has to turn 90 degrees when in the wing, it would be useful to use a plug in application to help with flexibility of routing servo leads. it would be cool to see ALL brands of servos with the ability to program through your home laptop. I would like to see the size of the servo get bigger for the guys flying 40% and up. this could only lend towards bigger, better gears and more durability, the planes are light enough so we can afford a slight weight gain in exchange for a "bullet proof" servo.

Steve
shadow1100 is online now Find More Posts by shadow1100
Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Southeast USA
Joined Jan 2006
715 Posts
Sleep,thanks for the heads up! I am a newbe at the quad stuff! Is that your quad in the avatar? Looks cool as heck!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Night Dragon
Redwood City, CA
Joined Oct 2006
106 Posts
FPV is going to become even more popular and not just with multicopters. Planes and even RC cars can be flown/driven FPV.

FPV socializing is almost here. Your tiny little quadcopter will have both a speaker and a microphone so you can pop up in front of your buddy and say hello. You'll know it's gone too far when two quadcopters start talking to one another.

True formation flying is just around the corner. With FPV it will be possible, but with lots of skill. Eventually our models will begin to directly communicate with one another and you will be able to activate "lock on mode".

FPV combat, you know it has to happen. Foam flying wings with gymboled cameras slaved to motion sensors in the headset. Get weapons lock on the HUD and send the image to your buddy on his smart phone.

Not 2013 but soon... 100% scale purpose built RC planes flying the airshow circuit as a business. They will be both safer and put the manned aircraft to shame. Not just modern stunt planes but reproductions of WW1, Golden age, WW2 and older jet aircraft. The real ones are becoming too precious to risk and too many FS pilots are dying in them. Airshow entertainment will be a viable career path for the gifted few, and a small industry will grow out of designing and building them.

Full autonomous flight will soon be available to the average pilot. Some will push the boundaries to full IMAC like stunt routines with computer precision. Programming will become a significant part of the hobby.

The cheapest "toys" available from regular toy stores will soon have capabilities we only dreamed of. Actually they already do, so I am predicting the past with that one. Prepare to be amazed.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,076 Posts
Quote:
Sleep,thanks for the heads up! I am a newbe at the quad stuff! Is that your quad in the avatar? Looks cool as heck!
It is but it's only "ok".
You get to a good level and it's not cool anymore. It's seriously like a 33% plane. It's cool, and you think it's cool until you see a 40% and you think why O why did I buy the damn plane?!?!

Working on one like this now.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by genelavine
GottaFly
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Dec 2006
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1100 View Post
I predict a highly competitive battle of the servo manufacturers. Now we have new players in the game I hope to see some new design features, better cases, better mounting options, when will a servo co. change where the servo lead wires come out of the case. Instead of right under the mounting tab which then has to turn 90 degrees when in the wing, it would be useful to use a plug in application to help with flexibility of routing servo leads. it would be cool to see ALL brands of servos with the ability to program through your home laptop. I would like to see the size of the servo get bigger for the guys flying 40% and up. this could only lend towards bigger, better gears and more durability, the planes are light enough so we can afford a slight weight gain in exchange for a "bullet proof" servo.

Steve
I also predict that SMJ Spinners will become a huge hit!
Better get your orders in now as Steve is going to be a busy guy!
genelavine is offline Find More Posts by genelavine