Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Blogs > oalhindi's blog
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
oalhindi
Uber Contributor

Default TOP DAWG new SLICK

hey guys,

I just went TOP DAWG website just to see the specs on the Mintor and I came across a whole new website design and new planes.
I was looking to get the 3DHS SLICK but now saw this.

http://www.topdawgaviation.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

I cannot believe that the kit comes that much complete. it has Wires already mounted and comes with Fortitude tank, 4 colors, and many many more. check it out it looks sweeeeeeeet.
I would like to see some more 3d videos to see how this truly flies.

any thoughts ?
oalhindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
jms5599
Super Contributor

I saw one of the prototypes fly this summer at Rolla MO. It looked really nice, seamed bigger than my 3DHS slick 104. I watched them fly it, but no one really banged it to hard! Over all I liked it. I talked with Blaine a couple days ago, he stated that they might be available before flying season! I will probably buy one.
jms5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
oalhindi
Uber Contributor

How did it seem to fly and float? I never had a 3dhs but I was thinking about buying one when they come back in stock, but when I saw this now I wanna know more about it and if its a better 3d I will get this one.
Any thoughts ?
Also wanna know what are the maximum throws on it
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
buckeyeflyer
Go Bucks!!!

They look awesome..... I cant wait to see one fly..
Savox Servos
Fromeco
buckeyeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
oalhindi
Uber Contributor

he has a video on there but I didnt see much 3d. the only thing I'm wondering and I wrote him about was the throws. the elevator seems small and not sure if thats the picture though. the counter balance is also small.

I was thinking of getting a 3DHS Slick, and now I saw this and wondeirng if you can get crazy throws with it like the 3dhs or EF. I hope he gets back to me soon becuase I was almost ready to order from 3DHS once its back in stock.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
oalhindi
Uber Contributor

looks cool and a lot of ailerons authority.
Top Dawg got back to me and he said that elevator was increased/ stab smalled now. and he is taking pre-orders now.
I'm interested but would like to see how this plane 3d's first.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
oalhindi
Uber Contributor

Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
jms5599
Super Contributor

I'm sure it will 3D pretty well. The ailerons aren't as big as the 3DHS Slick, also I doubt it is as light. I would have to say the most important thing is that TD answers the phone! I love my 3DHS slick 104 and would buy another, but you have to know you won't get any customer service from them directly! The sponsored pilots will help on the forums, but that don't get you parts.
jms5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
funflyr
Re-kitting since 1979!

I have the prototype that's in the video. Jack Estes has the second prototype. I have over 300 flights on mine and I am very happy with it. I have flown it as hard as possible, and it has held up great. I have flown it with several engines including the SE-112, DLE-111, DA-100, and DA-100L. It currently has the DA-100L in it, and it's a great combination. Jack has a Mintor 110 in his with canisters. I really like the scale cowling which allows the mufflers to fit inside with only the outlets exiting the bottom. It comes with nice fabric tail and wing bags. The original set of stabs had elevators that were a little small, the second set were larger, and the productions stabs have been enlarged even more. The videos are with the original set of stabs. It knife edges great with no mixing needed. It flies precision really well and still 3D's great, I really like it.
Troy

Last edited by funflyr; 01-20-2013 at 02:04 PM.
funflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
oalhindi
Uber Contributor

thanks Troy, thats good to hear. TOP DAWG emailed me and i'm realy interested in one. the only thing I seem to wonder about is the counter balance on the elevator. its seems really small. also the throws on the elevator and ailerons didnt seem to be where I would like them to be. I was told around 40 degrees of throws on the elevator.
I have the 3DHS( 103 extra ) and EF (104" Extra) and the throws can go up to 80 degrees ( 90 degrees with out servos connected). that would make me love it even more. I'm into 3D and I love having radical throws just to have different kind of fun. so it would be interesting if TOP DAWG can make them that extreme.

and it never hurts to have that much throws because it would suit everyone. ( both IMAC and 3D and we both can set what ever throws we want )

if you have any idea about that please share, do you know how much throws your getting ?

thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
funflyr
Re-kitting since 1979!

The prototype weighed 26 lbs. 10 oz. with a SE-112, Tru-turn spinner, Mejzlik 28X10 prop, and
3 - 2300 mAH A123 packs. I haven't weighed it in it's current configurations: DA-100L, Falcon 27X10 prop, Top Dawg Carbon fiber spinner, and the same A123 packs, but my guess is it's right at 26 lbs. With lighter batteries and a DA-120 it could easily be in the 25.5 lb. range.
Troy
Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
oalhindi
Uber Contributor

sounds good. do you know what are the max throws that you are getting on the surfaces ?
how does it 3d or fly
Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
funflyr
Re-kitting since 1979!

Quote: Originally Posted by oalhindi
View Post
thanks Troy, thats good to hear. TOP DAWG emailed me and i'm realy interested in one. the only thing I seem to wonder about is the counter balance on the elevator. its seems really small. also the throws on the elevator and ailerons didnt seem to be where I would like them to be. I was told around 40 degrees of throws on the elevator.
I have the 3DHS( 103 extra ) and EF (104" Extra) and the throws can go up to 80 degrees ( 90 degrees with out servos connected). that would make me love it even more. I'm into 3D and I love having radical throws just to have different kind of fun. so it would be interesting if TOP DAWG can make them that extreme.

and it never hurts to have that much throws because it would suit everyone. ( both IMAC and 3D and we both can set what ever throws we want )

if you have any idea about that please share, do you know how much throws your getting ?

thanks
Oalhindi
I have had 2 - 3DHS 103" Extra's, and a 89" AJ Slick and really liked them and they are great 3D planes, but I found that I can fly precision much better with the TDA Slick. The current stabs have 50 degrees of throw, the production stabs should have even more. I'm not sure that it really needs anymore elevator authority. In it's current configuration it does great pop tops from both upright and inverted. It will do really tight rolling loops, and tumbles are a blur. Rolls are fast and snaps start and stop instantly. I have built nearly every ARF on the market and the quality of the TDA Slick Prototype was as good or better than any of the other ARF's that I have built. Of all the planes that I have had it reminds me a lot of my 35% Hangar 9 Extra 300, it flies precision as well as the Hangar 9 but 3D's quite a bit better. Also the pictures that Blaine has on the website are of the original stabs, the current ones are much bigger. I hope this helps.
Troy
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
oalhindi
Uber Contributor

thanks Troy that helps a lot. I really appreciate it. I love the way it looks and all. I have planes with 50 and 55 degrees of throws and they are great but I always wished I had more as that suits my flying style better and I love to throw it around. But once I stepped to the EF and 3DHS I found that the throws are insane and I loved them even more. Blaine said he will let me know if he can get me some crazy throws. I hope he would because I love having for certain maneuvers.
If he could I will probably go with it.

I love trying new planes and Top DAWG plane looks bad ass and I love the color options.
It would be cool to offer 80 degrees of throws like EF and 3DHS for those who are interested and I bet he will get a lot of people interested in them and of course for precision and IMAC you can dial down as much as you want but would be able to go crazy if you decide to 3d.
I would love to have that option.

It’s really great to hear from you TROY specially that you have had a firsthand experience with this plane

cheers
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
AirplaneBlaine
Top Dawg Aviation

Hey guys, I'm checking with the factory now and going to draw another stab/elevator set up and see if I can get additional stabs to sell as an option. This way if someone wants extreme radical throws you can put on some different stabs and go get crazy!
AirplaneBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote