Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
supatimhanstine
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Yup and IMO not worth the extra $'s. I have 7954's with literally thousands of flights on them that are going on 3 seasons old that are still as tight and snappy as day 1.

http://www.youtube.com/user/supatimhanstine
supatimhanstine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
baddley
Doo It! Doo It!

Hi

First off I would like to say that I own hitec, futaba and Saxox servos

The hitec 7954's that I have in my 30% plane work very nice and smooth and I have no problems with them. I have a Savox 1230G in another r/c application and it also a very good servo with just a little more torque.

My Savox servos are regulated to 6 volts. The only real difference I can tell between the two is that the Savox servo provides a nice buzzing sound to it which I have read is normal with all of the Savox servos !

Thanks Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport

Quote: Originally Posted by lowslow
View Post
Savox makes a good product. If possible, use a power safe receiver with A123 or lion batteries, you will have to decide capacity of the batteries depending on the amount of servos you run and how you fly. The Hitec 7955 and the 7954 are essentially the same except the 55's have a titanium gear train, if you decide to go with Hitec,the 55's are worth the extra cash IMHO.
Ditto..several guys in our club that have been putting the 7955s through hell the last four years and they are still going. Plus Hitec said its okay to run 7.4 with the 7955 even though they aren't advertized high voltage.
Mikeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
3dfreak
Doo It! Doo It!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I'm going to go with the hitecs. Happy flying.
3dfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Elkster
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by boggintuff
View Post
just my sole opinion here, but I wouldnt wipe poop with Hitec anymore.
you're not alone. The way they treated the whole...ahh. forget it. They'll figure it out.

I use Savox and love them. I also use Futaba and love them too. Use what you makes you happy. Just don't forget that customer service plays a role after the purchase is made.

And no offense but I highly doubt that... "I have 7954's with literally thousands of flights on them that are going on 3 seasons old that are still as tight and snappy as day 1"
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #21
bbrown2828

that really would be alot of flying in a year dang I figured if a man makes it to the field twice a week thats around 9 flights a trip that buy must fly for aliving lol
Team Knife Edge Graphix
Follow this Link to the Kennett 3d Bash
bbrown2828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #22
Monster Energy
on a vacation

Quote: Originally Posted by bbrown2828
View Post
that really would be alot of flying in a year dang I figured if a man makes it to the field twice a week thats around 9 flights a trip that buy must fly for aliving lol

LOL, There is something seriously wrong with the 7950. Damn things shook so violently at center they would shake the plane off the building table right out the box. Ive seen the 7955 do the same after a couple seasons. They were on a buddys plane and were USED alot..... Savox are alright. Id still use the 7955 over 7950.
Monster Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #23
supatimhanstine

Quote: Originally Posted by Elkster
View Post

And no offense but I highly doubt that... "I have 7954's with literally thousands of flights on them that are going on 3 seasons old that are still as tight and snappy as day 1"
It's for real, this is the newest plane my 2 1/2 yr old 7954's live in. Backtrack through my videos if you like too but they've been in 2 50cc yak 55's and this is the 2nd slick. Same dle55, same servos. I've run Jr, Futaba and savox in other planes but always seem to go back to 7954's!

http://www.youtube.com/user/supatimhanstine

Last edited by supatimhanstine; 01-26-2013 at 01:16 AM.
supatimhanstine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
lowslow
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by N726AC
View Post
FYI, "titanium gears" really means titanium nitride coated gears.
Yes, my bad, "Titanium Coated Gears". I still say the extra $ for the 55's over the 54's is worth it, if you look around, you will find 55's for just under $90. I have 5955's over 8 years old and 7955's over 5, all run on 7.4 and no problems.
Most of the issues people have with any of the products we all use is due to improper use, engines, servos and everything else, but I will admit I have seen Hitec servos with problems, jumping and jitters, just never any of mine, and yes, I use Power Safe receivers run at 7.4v with 50" - 60" extensions.
lowslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport

View Post
you're not alone. The way they treated the whole...ahh. forget it. They'll figure it out.

I use Savox and love them. I also use Futaba and love them too. Use what you makes you happy. Just don't forget that customer service plays a role after the purchase is made.

Customer service is a big deal around here...just look at the recent ARF vender flogging over not answering the phone, emails or replacing damaged or defective components. Over the years I have had excellent service and performance from Hitec and I've had a few failures but no brand is flawless or perfect. The programmable ones really make installing multi servo control surfaces simple.

Quote: Originally Posted by Monster Energy
View Post
LOL, There is something seriously wrong with the 7950. Damn things shook so violently at center they would shake the plane off the building table right out the box. Ive seen the 7955 do the same after a couple seasons. They were on a buddys plane and were USED alot..... Savox are alright. Id still use the 7955 over 7950.
I use a 7950 on my 36% Edge rudder and it doesn't jitter that bad. A 7955 wouldn't be adequate since I need more than 333 oz of torque and I'm sure at 7.4 volts the torque would be somewhat greater but I've not seen anything published about it. Plus the cost of adding another 7955 to the rudder would make the 7950 even more appealing. I have read the complaints about the 7950 but haven't experience them myself. Kind of like the Lipo fire scare...they maybe dangerous but the benefits out weigh the danger.

Last edited by Mikeq; 01-26-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Mikeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
racelikustolit3k
how low can you go

Send a message via AIM to racelikustolit3k

View Post
hes not alone.. I have close to a hundred of these servo's in use and some with over 100 gallons of engine run time.. im not even going to try to divide that up in actual flights but it a flippin lot..

and they are serving me WELL.. I love people that can talk **** about a product they have never used just because its the cool thing to do and because he has READ ABOUT IT ON FG, SO HE HAS NOW FORMED AN EDUCATED OPINION....
racelikustolit3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
bbrown2828

i have flown hitecs and just recently switched from all hitecs to savox cause i was sick and tired of the jitters
Team Knife Edge Graphix
Follow this Link to the Kennett 3d Bash
bbrown2828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
BRBR
A contributor of sorts

Quote: Originally Posted by racelikustolit3k
View Post
love people that can talk **** about a product they have never used just because its the cool thing to do and because he has READ ABOUT IT ON FG, SO HE HAS NOW FORMED AN EDUCATED OPINION....
maybe you dont get it because your forgetting others out there that have had the opossite side of your success. i've never used hitec brand anything and wouldnt do so because of the uncertainty and numerous reports of problems that come with their products. whilst you have many servos all working fine after years of use, others have had failures directly from the box or soon after. some are in between and accept jittering as a normal function, not all these reports are made up by those on forums wanting to instigate a riot. there must be some truth in the stories these users post. all i need to know is when a product has many complaints its one to be avoided even if it is split between 50/50. not going to spend money and hope i get a good one. so there is no educated anything really, only two sides of the story shared for others to learn in which the buyer can use to his advantage
BRBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #29
jamesrxx951

It just comes down to what you are willing to spend and comfortable with. I used to use all hitec stuff but with the pain in the butt setup of the 7955's (jiddered really bad with an angle meter on the surface), always had to do a trim flight, and they started jiddering really bad on the control surfaces i switched to another brand. The other brand set up much better. They would actual return to the exact same center and end point everytime. Something Hitecs never did. The other brand was much smoother on the ground and something i did not expect was a better feel in the air. Mostly the precision side. I was not expecting to feel any difference in the air. And lastly, no more retrimming on every flight.
Team JR NCFR IMAC
http://tntlandinggear.com/ http://www.rcaircraftcomponents.com/
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
racelikustolit3k
how low can you go

Send a message via AIM to racelikustolit3k

Quote: Originally Posted by BRBR
View Post
i've never used hitec brand anything
then shut your trap.. plain and simple..

if it were left up to forum opinion

lets see..

I would never buy a mintor..

dle's suck, cause they arent a DA and they have bad bearings

hitecs are the worst servo in the world..

yeah check the classifieds and lets get a count on how many hitec servo's are not sold the same day they post.. and how many planes being sold are packed with hitecs..

3DHS would never sell another plane because they dont answer the phone

aeroworks is junk because they are heavy

I would have a closet full of junk engines because people say that it will be the next big thing and will last forever..

JR/SPEC suck because of brownouts/ lockouts

futaba sucks because there rx's get hot and shut down.

I could keep this up all day

simple point is..........people come here to beotch about something and to have it be seen.. there maybe 250,000 pilots running hitec gear, and because 30-50 post hear and cry about there one bad servo.. lemmings jump on the wagon patting each other on the back cause the all hate the same thing.. when LOTS OF THEM HAVE NEVER USED THEM....
racelikustolit3k is offline   Reply With Quote