Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Blogs > christiaan123's blog
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
christiaan123
Flyin' Around

Default Problem with Dle 111cc wants to die when idling in the air :(

Het guys I have a problem I have a brand new Dle111cc I flew my new sukhoi for the first time this weekend and she was idling on the ground fine..but when I took her up I flew her and the engine was acting fine but whenever I wanted to close the throttle in the air then it sounded like the engine want to die..I don't know what to do. The air inlet into the cowl is perfect and the place were the air is sucked out is also good..my plane is the sebart sukhoi.It's a brand new engine please help friends.
christiaan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID

Sound as if it needs tuned better, do you have any knowledge of tuning methods?
vmceachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Porky
Flyin' Around

Ask the manufacturer as new engines are set up for good idle. Or at least the ones i own have never cut out in flight when throttled back. Sorry but really need to hear the engine and set up to advise more.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Black rubberducky
Doo It! Doo It!

Did it actually ever die when you throttled down?? Maybe it just sounded like it was going die, but the position of the plane related to you could have changed the tone of the engine.

Steve
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
christiaan123
Flyin' Around

Yes I've got gents at the club who will help me tune it. I had a dead stick with it luckily it was a good landing. I think it's a bit too lean on the bottom end.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
parpar1
Fast can be bad

It might not be broken in yet. So it could be being a little finicky. It really should not matter though.

I always have a ground idle / landing idle and flying idle. My ground / landing idle will sometimes kill my motor in flight if i slam it closed when i have forgotten to hit the switch to flying idle. In my case, i am sure some of it has to do with differential pressure in the cowl, ground vs flying speeds.

Not sure if that helps you are not. Helped me. i know others on here set theirs up the same.

Good luck enjoy your bird!

Oh you might already know this. DLEs like a lot of oil and need it. I think i have heard people say do not go thinner then 40:1 on a DLE. Just bringing it up so when you do get it dialed in you have a good ratio too.

Last edited by parpar1; 01-28-2013 at 03:59 PM.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
christiaan123
Flyin' Around

Iv got a good inlet and outlet so don't think it will be the pressure in the cowl..or what exactly do you mean by pressure in the cowl?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
futile flight
stick banger

he's refering to the pump plate on the carb geting persure in the cowl.. i think

there is a opening on the pump plate that mesures out side airperuse and that intern tells the pump how much gas to suck up ..

some pepole Isolate the pump plate wit fuel tubing and a nipple

normaly this affect things like when you change attuides in flight .. IE knife edge and inteverted where the airflow in the cowl changes and that makes the motor change tune in the air ..

doesnt like cowl persure to me ..
futile flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Nuckin Futz
Flyin' Around

Checking the needle settings need to be done first but I make a throttle to throttle mix so my idle is set higher when I'm flying. Just have to remember to turn it off when landing.
Nuckin Futz is offline   Reply With Quote