Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Blogs > mtndewdewd's blog
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe

Default 2013 IMAC Season (part 8)

1st flight after Judging school. Not sure what to think. On 1 hand I wish I hadn't gone and just went on thinking I was a stud... but I know in the end, it's better knowing what I am being judged against. However, being the perfectionist I am, it was much more frustrating knowing just how bad I was flying. I will have to figure out how to not think about all the errors and just fly - but it's gonna take some work.

I also found out after watching Baco stir the sticks today that there isn't a damn thing wrong with my plane or my setup I was hoping there was something wrong that would explain why I can't seem to get it to fly hands off. Maybe the idea I have that you should be able to fly a sequence mostly hands off is the problem?

On that note - thank you Mr. Bacosa. I would call and chit chat with you about how to attack all the areas I need to work on, but I am sure you have larangitis and are swirling salt water after all the talking you had to do today. I am sure I am going to hear in my sleep tonight "inside wing low, left rudder, right rudder, you're coming it, you're going out, over-rotated, under-rotated, you pinched it, roll out the throttle, roll in the throttle" - Did I miss anything?

In all seriousness - I really really appreciate all the help. Once I have the time to think about all you said, I am sure it will set in and I will make a huge stride based on your help today. Just made me realize how far behind the plane I am and how much I need to work on the simple things - LINES and RADIUS'. It was all worth it hearing you hoot and holla when I nailed the Avalanche

Hope to get 4 flights in next Sunday and then we will see how we do in Florence.
mtndewdewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
The_Wreck
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! 
Total Awards: 1

Keep at it with enough practice the lines and radiuses and the corrections to fly them come without as much thought. Then you can begin to nail the elements. You will be shocked at how much easier it is to fly a manuever if you pull and nail the upline or 45. It is hard to fly anything right if you are fighting the upline the whole time. It was my second year of Sportsman before it started to click. IMO above sportsman there are enough elements that the issue becomes flying them correctly so you can hold the lines rather than the other way around.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
mbacosa

In all seriousness John flies very well for how little time he has been flying. I was pretty impressed. He has a solid foundation to build on, the right equipment and the right mindset. He will be tough to beat by the end of the year. Right now I feel that he is fighting the plane and "not letting it fly". You can tell though that he gets better with every flight. You are on the right path John!

I also wanted to extent my thanks and gratitude to John for helping me out as well. He graciously offered to let me fly his plane in the next contest and let me get a couple of flights in this last weekend to practice. It's been 1.5 years since I last competed and it was a blast to shake the sticks again. I was pretty rough going through the sequence so it won't be a pretty but I know I will have fun.
mbacosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe

Quote: Originally Posted by mbacosa
View Post
In all seriousness John flies very well for how little time he has been flying. I was pretty impressed. He has a solid foundation to build on, the right equipment and the right mindset. He will be tough to beat by the end of the year. Right now I feel that he is fighting the plane and "not letting it fly". You can tell though that he gets better with every flight. You are on the right path John!
Appreciate it. Means a lot coming from you and I really am glad to have you on board to help me get there!

View Post
I also wanted to extent my thanks and gratitude to John for helping me out as well. He graciously offered to let me fly his plane in the next contest and let me get a couple of flights in this last weekend to practice. It's been 1.5 years since I last competed and it was a blast to shake the sticks again. I was pretty rough going through the sequence so it won't be a pretty but I know I will have fun.
No problem - and I can say it looks like you took 1.5 months off and not 1.5 years... I must say, if you were nervous - you hid it well... other than that big lump I saw in your throat on that 1st landing.... which was a greaser by the way
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
mbacosa

Wake up John....your inside wing is low again....:-)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe

View Post
Wake up John....your inside wing is low again....:-)
Careful... I'll make you stand out there in the field and talk to me over our cell phones and I'll fly back and forth for 3 or 4 tanks just memorizing what wings level looks like Or, put you in the plane... well, that might mess up the CG??
Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Dean Bird
Straight huckin' !!

Brad "Big Finish" Beedy and I flew Sunday. It was great Camarillo (overcast) practice.

Where are you and Baco going to be practicing?

Last edited by Dean Bird; 02-04-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Dean Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Dean Bird
Straight huckin' !!

I'm really just curious to see how many parts are in an IMAC season.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
mbacosa

I know John and I are flying this next Sunday. Maybe heading out east this time. It's hard to practice at SVF
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
mbacosa

Quote: Originally Posted by mtndewdewd
View Post
Careful... I'll make you stand out there in the field and talk to me over our cell phones and I'll fly back and forth for 3 or 4 tanks just memorizing what wings level looks like Or, put you in the plane... well, that might mess up the CG??

Hahaha!! If that is what it takes John I'll do it!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe

Quote: Originally Posted by Dean Bird
View Post
I'm really just curious to see how many parts are in an IMAC season.
I'm guessing about 10-12. Another bad finish or 2 and continued frustration will make this season like the last 2 and I'll quit before spring

If all goes well and my PMS can stay in tact - I'm thinking maybe 50 parts by the end of the year? Just a guess.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Dean Bird
Straight huckin' !!

View Post
I'm guessing about 10-12. Another bad finish or 2 and continued frustration will make this season like the last 2 and I'll quit before spring

What, you're up to 40 flights in the last 2 years. Your contest finishes are awesome!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe

Quote: Originally Posted by Dean Bird
View Post
What, you're up to 40 flights in the last 2 years. Your contest finishes are awesome!!
I know - it's just hard. Usually when I dedicate myself things come easy - especially with aviation - I got my Full scale ticket in 40.1 hours (had to fly the long way to the checkride to get over 40)... this just seems to be going slow...
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
JIMZACH
Super Contributor

View Post
I know - it's just hard. Usually when I dedicate myself things come easy - especially with aviation - I got my Full scale ticket in 40.1 hours (had to fly the long way to the checkride to get over 40)... this just seems to be going slow...
I know how you feel. Not long ago when I started flying Scale Aerobatics I had similar thoughts. I was able to pick up 3D really quixkly and able to throw down pretty darn good I thought.
But when I started with the precision side of things, I was sorely diappointed in myself. I swore up and down that it was the plane or my setup, (sometimes I still do) and what helped for me was practicing with others who are well versed in judging criteria. I could practice all day long, but Im no world class judge so I didnt know or realize the little points I was giving up everywhere. IMAC is alot of fun, but is by far the most challenging aspect of RC flying I have entered in to. Dont give up hope !

Zach

Last edited by JIMZACH; 02-05-2013 at 06:16 AM.
JIMZACH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe

Quote: Originally Posted by JIMZACH
View Post
I know how you feel. Not long ago when I started flying Scale Aerobatics I had similar thoughts. I was able to pick up 3D really quixkly and able to throw down pretty darn good I thought.
"Zach-Attack" Sighting at PBRCA - YouTube
But when I started with the precision side of things, I was sorely diappointed in myself. I swore up and down that it was the plane or my setup, (sometimes I still do) and what helped for me was practicing with others who are well versed in judging criteria. I could practice all day long, but Im no world class judge so I didnt know or realize the little points I was giving up everywhere. IMAC is alot of fun, but is by far the most challenging aspect of RC flying I have entered in to. Dont give up hope !

Zach
Thanks. I'm gonna keep at it. Have to - once ur hooked you have no hope

Maye judging is my "gig"? I had read the critera a bunch of times and knew them all, but until I went to the judging school it never "clicked". Maybe it is bad I went, now I see every little error and deduction I do and now instead of flying I am deducting in my head the whole flight... "theres a point, another 1/2 andother 1 and 1/2 theres a 2 point deduction" etc etc.... It was better (for my confidence anyway) not knowing how bad I was flying