Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Build Threads
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 06-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
ericb
Team WTFO

Why the straight pipes down the fuse? Any benefits over just pointing them down out the cowl?

https://www.google.com/#q=terryscust...+scratch+build<My next plane. ericb sent you.
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
kasama
Flyin' Around

The only reason is the very deep sound
kasama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
ericb
Team WTFO

Quote: Originally Posted by kasama
View Post
The only reason is the very deep sound
Awesome. Probably keeps it a little cleaner also?

https://www.google.com/#q=terryscust...+scratch+build<My next plane. ericb sent you.
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
kasama
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by ericb
View Post
Awesome. Probably keeps it a little cleaner also?
yes i think so, the only place there is oil is the tail wing.

Last edited by kasama; 06-24-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
kasama
Flyin' Around

Attention
According to the European distributor of Valach engines, it is not safe to fly the Valach vm210 without the update with the extra rear ball bearing.
The crankshaft might break in flight at the rear crank pin.
This extra bearing takes away a good part of the stress from the
rear crank pin.
How many of you Valach owners knew about this?
This is somthing the European distributor of Valach engines, have known about for several months
The European distributor of Valach engines also demand i should pay for the shipping back to Germany to get the update done
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	vm 210 2.png
Views:	112
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	576723 399.3 KB · Views: 112

Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
wylieruneyjr
RUTNBUC

Really a nice sounding engine on straight pipes. Sound is very close to the Kolm engine in the Galloping Ghost P 51.
Rutnbuc
Engine appears very Robust.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #22
kasama
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by wylieruneyjr
View Post
Really a nice sounding engine on straight pipes. Sound is very close to the Kolm engine in the Galloping Ghost P 51.
Rutnbuc
Engine appears very Robust.
The distributor strongly recommend me to send back the engine for the update, so i really do not think it is to rely on.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
Hinckley Bill
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by kasama
View Post
Attention
According to the European distributor of Valach engines, it is not safe to fly the Valach vm210 without the update with the extra rear ball bearing.
The crankshaft might break in flight at the rear crank pin.
This extra bearing takes away a good part of the stress from the
rear crank pin.
How many of you Valach owners knew about this?
This is somthing the European distributor of Valach engines, have known about for several months
The European distributor of Valach engines also demand i should pay for the shipping back to Germany to get the update done
This is definitely not good news if it's true

I have sent an email over to Dr. Götz Vogelsang over at Vogelsang Aeroscale which distributes the Valach motors to try and confirm or refute this.

Hoping that it is not true.

Bill
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
DerGoetz
Flyin' Around

Hello Bill,

Thank you for contacting me.

I send Bill an honest email in reply, one that I need to censor in order to be able to post it here, I am afraid.

Here is what I can add to this discussion and what I wrote Bill in unedited form:

Yes, and isn't that quite frustrating as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx that the former owner was ignored all of our pleads and recommendations. He knew better because of our input, in all of his arrogant glory.

We can have nothing but the utmost respect for the new ownership of Valach as they rather help customers and decided to be honest than trying to make the problems "disappear" by ignoring them. It was none of their fault, but they back their brand 100%

To give you a bit of a background: I met with Valach at my fathers place in Germany in the summer of 2008. They showcased their VM420 and I agreed that I would carry and service their line of wonderful motors here in the US. I never asked for it, but they send me, within weeks, a certificate that stated that I would get to cater to the US exclusively. From the get-go the former owner was dishonest, had no interest keeping his promises, had no interest in nor know-how off the hobby itself but rather in the quick dollar and his ego - and ultimately caused most of his partners, me definitely included, huge financial loss. Figures that would make all of us cry...

I am happy to say that the new ownership of Valach is terrific and honorable beyond any doubt. Yes, it is difficult to take over a broke(n) company and a long process to fix it, but they will and do persevere. Their service bulletin being further proof of this. Right now I have the VM170 opposed twin and 420 radial of theirs in stock, I actually run a special on the 170 at the moment. The 120s and 210, ALL of them latest specification and generation, will be back in stock shortly and from that point on we will stock all of their motors at all times.

Not only that, I am actually the only one here in the US and Canada that flies his own product. I have the VM170 in my half scale Fly Baby, had the VM420 radial in my Jungmeister which I sold and will place the VM210 in my half scale Pitts S1 this fall.
Please contact me should you have any questions.

Gotz Vogelsang
Vogelsang Aeroscale

I need to add, for clarification, that the brains behind engineering and development are still with Valach. Unfortunately their own R&D as well as the input from us here at Aeroscale got either ignored or overruled by the former owner, who is now gone. What remains are the wonderful engines that the Valach motors are with a bright future due to new ownership.

Last edited by DerGoetz; 06-24-2013 at 04:07 PM.
DerGoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
kasama
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by DerGoetz
View Post
Hello Bill,

I send Bill an honest email in reply, one that I need to censor in order to be able to post it here, I am afraid.

Here is what I can add to this discussion and what I wrote Bill in unedited form:

Yes, and isn't that quite frustrating as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx that the former owner was ignored all of our pleads and recommendations. He knew better because of our input, in all of his arrogant glory.

We can have nothing but the utmost respect for the new ownership of Valach as they rather help customers and decided to be honest than trying to make the problems "disappear" by ignoring them. It was none of their fault, but they back their brand 100%

To give you a bit of a background: I met with Valach at my fathers place in Germany in the summer of 2008. They showcased their VM420 and I agreed that I would carry and service their line of wonderful motors here in the US. I never asked for it, but they send me, within weeks, a certificate that stated that I would get to cater to the US exclusively. From the get-go the former owner was dishonest, had no interest keeping his promises, had no interest in nor know-how off the hobby itself but rather in the quick dollar and his ego - and ultimately caused most of his partners, me definitely included, huge financial loss. Figures that would make all of us cry...

I am happy to say that the new ownership of Valach is terrific and honorable beyond any doubt. Yes, it is difficult to take over a broke(n) company and a long process to fix it, but they will and do persevere. Their service bulletin being further proof of this. Right now I have the VM170 opposed twin and 420 radial of theirs in stock, I actually run a special on the 170 at the moment. The 120s and 210, ALL of them latest specification and generation, will be back in stock shortly and from that point on we will stock all of their motors at all times.

Not only that, I am actually the only one here in the US and Canada that flies his own product. I have the VM170 in my half scale Fly Baby, had the VM420 radial in my Jungmeister which I sold and will place the VM210 in my half scale Pitts S1 this fall.

Gotz Vogelsang
Vogelsang Aeroscale

I need to add, for clarification, that the brains behind engineering and development are still with Valach. Unfortunately their own R&D as well as the input from us here at Aeroscale got either ignored or overruled by the former owner, who is now gone. What remains are the wonderful engines that the Valach motors are with a bright future due to new ownership.
with the number of flight hours the engine i have (witch is under one hour), technicians at Valach engine found out that I do not need to upgrade the engine with the extra rear ball bearing ??????
When i ask them how they can tell witch engine requires the update and witch one does not, they do not answer.
I am starting to think the bright future at Valach motors is going to be very short !!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #26
Hinckley Bill

View Post
Hello Bill,

Gotz Vogelsang
Vogelsang Aeroscale

Gotz,

You have always been very responsive and forthcoming whenever I have queried you regarding multiple subjects on items you carry....... I appreciate that greatly and would highly recommend you and your firm.

With regard to the recommended upgrade is there someone at Valach that I need to contact to set up the return of my Valach 210 to have it done? I have a Modelbau Pitts S1S that will be very lonely until it comes back

Bill
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
DerGoetz
Flyin' Around

Hello Bill,

You can either contact Valach or the vendor that you purchased from. The turnaround should be very quick, if your vendor knows what they are doing. Hope this helped.
DerGoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
Hinckley Bill

View Post
Hello Bill,

You can either contact Valach or the vendor that you purchased from. The turnaround should be very quick, if your vendor knows what they are doing. Hope this helped.
Gotz,

Got the motor as part of a RTF package so I'll need to go back to the original owner

Thanks again for all your help,

Bill
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
jsihto
Flyin' Around

Here in Finland we have three 210 valachs and all of them have visited factory because they broke.

Mine started to have clanking noise after about 10 litres of gas.
Upon opening the back plate of the engine, excessive play (approx. 0.5-1 mm ) was discovered in LH (lefthand) piston conrod at crank shaft end.

My friend owns the other two engines.
They broke in the air, but he never opened them so I dont know what went broken.

Valach told that crankshaft factory had make a mistake and steel was too soft.
So they changed crankshaft and put new backplate with bigger rear bearing.
If engine is repaired, there is big yellow bearing base in backplate as in picture in Kasamas message #20.

Jussi
jsihto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
kasama
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by jsihto
View Post
Here in Finland we have three 210 valachs and all of them have visited factory because they broke.

Mine started to have clanking noise after about 10 litres of gas.
Upon opening the back plate of the engine, excessive play (approx. 0.5-1 mm ) was discovered in LH (lefthand) piston conrod at crank shaft end.

My friend owns the other two engines.
They broke in the air, but he never opened them so I dont know what went broken.

Valach told that crankshaft factory had make a mistake and steel was too soft.
So they changed crankshaft and put new backplate with bigger rear bearing.
If engine is repaired, there is big yellow bearing base in backplate as in picture in Kasamas message #20.

Jussi
OMG
If this is true, the manufacturer of Valach Engine is lying big time. I got an e-mail from them today where they explained that all the engine failure had happened during the first three flights