Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > News and Announcements > Leading Edge Homepage Article Discussions
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
SleepyC

Default RC Airplanes to Help The Wounded Warrior Project!

Hey guys, I found this on the site this morning and thought it was worth a nice Leading Edge spot.
Please check it out, and if you can help out, by all means sign up!

Originally Posted by: Murocflyer (WAA-08 Pilot #1)

We are not afraid to admit that we love the sport of model aviation. Nor are we afraid to admit we love our country and we certainly aren't afraid to fight for our freedom because we know the freedoms that we enjoy are not free and come at a price. A very high price. That is why we have decided to showcase our sport to America and to help the Wounded Warriors Project empower those American heroes that pay the price for our freedom every day of their lives.

Our plan is to fly two airplanes across the USA. One gas powered plane and one electric powered plane. The gas powered plane starting in California will fly west to east and the electric powered plane will start in GA at SEFF and fly west. We want to involve as many AMA clubs as possible along both routes as they travel across the USA. Our plan is to involve the local media to showcase model aviation and to help raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP). The fundraising goal for this event will be $10,000 to the WWP.

The gas powered called "American Spirit" will take off from the Muroc Model Masters (MMM) field at Edwards AFB California in April of 2014 and begin its journey east to the Riverside Aeromodelers Society (RAMS) in North Carolina. The electric powered plane called "American Pulse" will begin its journey from Southeast Electric Flight Festival (SEFF) in Georgia next April and fly to the Southern Minnesota Model Aircraft Club (SMMAC) in Minnesota. Both will fly along a predetermined route to the next club that has volunteered to take part. The planes will land, be refueled or batteries changed out, and the next team consisting of a driver, spotter, and pilot will take over. The team that takes over will be from the next club on the route. This way they are familiar with its location and the peculiars about landing at that field. We would not want pilots to be landing at unfamiliar fields. And if they have to land sooner than expected, they know the area and its alternate landing locations. This will repeat all across the USA. We hope that the clubs along the route will contact their local media outlets and explain the TransAmerica Tour 2014 to them. Teams will be provided talking points about the AMA, model aviation and the Wounded Warriors Project and how they can donate to help our American heroes in their daily lives.

Airplanes, engines, radios, electronics, cars and all support equipment is hoped to be provided by potential sponsors of TransAmerica Tour 2014. We are also working with a television production company to film this tour and a number of model aviation events in 2014 to help showcase model aviation and bring it to prime time television.

If anyone would like to volunteer to assist in this effort, all I need right now is the name and zip code of your club and a Point of Contact (POC) with an email address and phone number. I will also need to know what model your club would like to fly; the gas or electric powered one. As the event is finalized, I will be in touch to get the pilot's name, the spotter's name and the driver's name.

Map Link:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/vi...A.kuXQvjLfKZUE

AMA Blog Link: http://www.modelaviation.com/modelaviationmentors

Frank

Thanks for posting this Frank! FG hopes you guys do a great job, and we hope you get all the volunteers you may need!
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	wounded.jpg
Views:	5803
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	587325 77.2 KB · Views: 5803

SleepyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
futile flight
stick banger

Might want to check out ww taxes from last year they made it into our local paper it was a eye opener
futile flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Floridarc
Uber Contributor

Sleepy I sent you a pm
Floridarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
nebwake
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by futile flight
View Post
Might want to check out ww taxes from last year they made it into our local paper it was a eye opener
What dk you mean "taxes" wwp is a 501(c)(3) not for profit tax exempt entity
nebwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
crash-n-burn
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

This is awesome, I give to WWP every month. What these folks do for veterans is invaluable.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
futile flight
stick banger

I am referring to the 990 tax forum not debating if they pay taxes I'm referring to what they give vrs what they take in just to clear it up so we arnt Arguing semantics
futile flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
exracer
Gettin' Lower!

What a great idea..........Hopefully Recker R/C in Northwest Ohio is one of the stops.
exracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
crash-n-burn
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Here is a story about SSgt Ty Carter, he is going to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions in Afghanistan. I am glad Flying Giants is helping WWP out, this is a great move.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29...est=latestnews
Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
deckert
Plowin Dirt

Default ??

So the birds will fly the entire route? Is that what I'm reading here? I know we were a part of the WAA flight in 2011 but the birds were transported from club to club.

Dan
deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Wow, this was a total surprise! Thanks for making this a news item here on FG!

For those that want to hear more about this project, have a listen to episode #220.

http://thecrashcast.com/

And here is our volunteer and discussion thread here on FG: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...40#post1999265

Thanks for sharing this with your guys here SleepyC!

Promoting model aviation and helping our American heroes that have sacrificed so much in their lives and continue to do so every day is something I firmly believe in and something we all can do. No matter what form of model aviation we use to enjoy it in.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Quote: Originally Posted by deckert
View Post
So the birds will fly the entire route? Is that what I'm reading here? I know we were a part of the WAA flight in 2011 but the birds were transported from club to club.

Dan
Dan,

Yes. The two planes will actually be flying across the country unlike the WAA-08 adventure where the plane was flown at individual clubs and hand carried to the next club.

Team Spirit will fly from CA to NC and Team Pulse will fly from GA to MN. Both teams will start out in Apr of 2014. That will give us time to organize this event.

BTW, have you seen the latest newscast of the WAA-08 adventure? http://myfox8.com/2013/07/03/randolp...s-the-country/

Frank
Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #12
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

The gasoline engine aircraft will fly west to east and pass through the following states; CA, AZ, NM, TX, LA, AR, MS, AL, GA, SC and NC. It will begin at the Muroc Model Masters field at Edwards AFB, CA and end at the Riverside Aeromodelers Society (RAMS) in East Bend, North Carolina. The plane we plan on flying is a Sig Rascal 110.

The electric powered plane will start out in Americus, Georgia at SEFF and fly to the Southern Minnesota Model Aircraft Club (SMMAC) in Owatonna, Minnesota and pass through the following states; GA, AL, TN, KY, IN, IL, WI, IA and MN . This plane will most likely be a Sig T-Clips but we are still in the selection phase right now and it is currently undergoing flight testing to see if it will meet our requirements.

If anyone wants to join in to help out and volunteer a team then all I need right now is the following info:

1. Name and zip code of your club

2. Point of Contact (POC) name, email address and phone number

3. Pilot's name, the spotter's name and the driver's name. This can come at a later time

4. Power choice; gas or electric (we have two planes flying different routes)

Thanks,

Frank
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
jm_mac
Shut up....AND THROW DOWN!

This is AWESOME!!! POSITIVE MEDIA!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Quote: Originally Posted by jm_mac
View Post
This is AWESOME!!! POSITIVE MEDIA!!!
Thanks! We are also working with The Discovery Channel to see if we can get them to make a short documentary about this event and other forms of model aviation.

We have been trying to do things in the RC community that showcases our sport to the general public for a long time now. The WAA-08 adventure has been seen on local television shows I believe about 8 times since its journey began, but that would be nothing like this.

Hundreds of RC pilots getting to talk about our hobby from all walks of life all across the USA on national television. Now that would be something alright. Just think of the technology we could demonstrate to people that may never have heard about Spektrum or Hitec or products from other companies that we use every day. And we could definitely prove to people that "drones" are not evil machines used to kill foreigners in a country a half world away but actually something people do for fun and excitement by people all over the USA.

I can see us showing the Discovery Channel all kinds of planes, helis, multirotors, FPV, sailplanes, and all kinds of gadgets that we use to enjoy this hobby. It's almost limitless on how we can promote model aviation all the while helping to raise money for our American heroes.
Getting on nationwide TV to showcase what we know as a wonderful sport as well as the people involved is a golden opportunity to so many people. I know there was quite a buzz in the forums when we saw some use a Futaba radio to fly a full scale passenger jet, just imagine if there was a show about radio controlled airplanes on each week that highlighted all the different forms of model aviation and the technologies we use on a daily basis. And just think of the events TDC team could go film and document on the TV that happens each year. How cool would that be?

Frank
Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
GonePostal
DIESEL FAN CLUB MEMBER

I am sure it will make it to FL also.