Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
gwjwbw
Flyin' Around

Default 3w 60cc

I got this plane with everything in it. It a Ohio rc kit and the plane is a Super Fli.
This plane been sitting in a barn for 4 years, no heat or A/C, so it been thru some bad weather.
Now, it wont start, have good compression, battery is new, new spark plug,carb is new also.
I really want to get this engine going.
Can anyone help me out what the next step?
Thank you, Gerard

Last edited by gwjwbw; 08-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
gwjwbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID

Check for spark. That is one great motor
vmceachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport

Quote: Originally Posted by vmceachern
View Post
Check for spark. That is one great motor
+1...might be an ignition problem. If you are sure you are getting fuel then check to ensure you are getting a spark.
Mikeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
WangoTango
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

First thing to check would be the spark. 4.8 volt ignition or a 4.8-6.0 volt ignition. If its solid gray case and 4.8 volt unit, you may need another one. (old unit) On to the other immediate thing to check: If you're not getting any fuel draw as you turn over the motor with your choke on, open up the carb and check to make sure the screen is clean and the fuel metering pin is not stuck with old congealed fuel. Clean out the carb really well with a fine piece of music wire. (Clean all obstructions with the wire and blow out
with compressed air.) I've got one of these and it's a real powerhouse. Good luck with the make ready...
We're all listening for that 3W bark real soon!
WT
WangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Bunky F. Knuckle
I'm done!!! Your loss!

A couple of things to expand on here.................

Battery- If the 3W 60 has a "old style" ignition, uses a pick up coil to generate the spark to the module, the pick up will be a bit larger and will be black in color. It will have 3 wires coming from the pick up. If anyone remembers what the Futaba "G" series plug looks like, it will be the "servo" end on the pick up. The ignition system itself will either have a blue dot on the top label or it won't have. If it has a blue dot, then the highest voltage pack you can use on it is a 6V battery. A123, LiFE, or 6V NiMH/NiCads will work excellent. If it does not, then a 4.8V pack is all you can use. If you only have Lithium Ion/Poly packs, you can most certainly use a regulator, drop down diode in line to the ignition unit. There is no ill effect if using a regulator, unless the ignition has been changed out to the new IIS ignitions. It is a 4 wire system, and then any battery under the sun up to 8.4 V will work fine. If you are not getting spark, 99% chance that it is a plug cap.

It is quite possible that the carb is not drawing fuel. Possibly a pinched fuel line, collapsed, etc. Be 100% sure that fuel is getting to the carb. It is also possible that the carb is all cluttered up with crud and junk, and it just needs to be cleaned up and flushed.

Proudly sponsored by www.buddyrc.com
www.taildraggerrc.com
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
49dimes
My heads in the clouds not my;

All good advice here. You said your carb is new. Use the "Fore Play" method to make shure that new carb is good and wet inside. Just need to loosen the screw holding the pump side plate down and gently force gas into carb. The Jedi describes this in other threads. I had the 75 rear carb and it had sat for some time in less than ideal environment and I had to unstick the reed pedals.
49dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
gwjwbw
Flyin' Around

Default bad?

I'm think now that the Ignition System maybe not be any good, because it sat in the barn for 4 years. I'm looking at rc extreme power, they have them cheaper then what 3w sell em for.
What you guys think?
Thank, Gerard
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!

Any Rcexcel or CH ignition is better than replacing with a 3w ignition due to price. You can also replace with DA ignition but its pricey like a 3W.

don't waste your money on a new ignition until you are 100% sure that is the culprit.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem." ...Ronald Reagan
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Captinjohn 2
on a vacation

Also check every connection on the ignition system. If it sat for 4 years, there may be corrosion on just one of the pins in the connectors. Does it pull fuel up the fuel line when you prop the engine over? Could be something simple!! Capt,n
Captinjohn 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Bunky F. Knuckle
I'm done!!! Your loss!

Quote: Originally Posted by gwjwbw
View Post
I'm think now that the Ignition System maybe not be any good, because it sat in the barn for 4 years. I'm looking at rc extreme power, they have them cheaper then what 3w sell em for.
What you guys think?
Thank, Gerard

Seat and reseat any plug in you have on the ignition, spark plugs included. It could be possible that there is a tad bit of corrosion on the plug ins. If you have to, inspect them under a magnafying glass.

Still, all good advice from the above.

Proudly sponsored by www.buddyrc.com
www.taildraggerrc.com
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
aussiesteve
Clothed Account

All the advice above about checking the ignition is spot on. As is the question about whether or not the carb pulls fuel. (Does it?)

If it turns out your ignition is u/s - I strongly advise that you replace it with a unit from rcextremepower. I have converted a few 3Ws of various displacements over the years with those units and they definitely are the way to go.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
gwjwbw
Flyin' Around

Default got it

After replacing the ing from my new 3w 75cc, I tell you what!. It scare the crap out of me, the engine started and ready for take off,lol
Now I know what the problem along. For now, I just use the new one from the 75 in the 60.
I cant figure out which new ing I need from RC extream, 1 or 2 magnet prop hub, anyone eles know?
Thank guys, you been great!
Gerard
Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
RCEXTREMEPOWER
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Simple, If the prop hub has two magnets you need the two magnet ignition.

If your prop hub has one magnet you need the one magnet ignition.

Milton
RCEXTREMEPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
gwjwbw
Flyin' Around

What the oil and gas mix I need for the 60cc?
Thanks you
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
antique
Older than dirt

Pretend it's your weedeater...Same gas and oil...PERIOD...