Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Mike 48
Super Contributor

Default 3mm and 4-40 pushrods

I guess most ARF's come with hardware that is metric in size since most are made in Asia. I was assembling a Phoenix Edge and did not like the ball links that came in the box. The pushrods were 3mm diameter. Going through my supply of misc. hardware I didn't find any ball links that were 3mm but I did have some 4-40 links. I tried one and found it screwed on to the pushrod just fine.

As far as I can tell, there shouldn't be any issue doing this. However, if anyone thinks differently I would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks
Mike 48
Mike 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
mizm75
Fly Delta jets

Not to be a smart arse but are you one of those people that will use a 1/2 inch wrench or socket on a 12mm bolt? If not then there's your answer. Don't risk your plane, your personal safety and that of others over a few bucks worth of pushrods.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
astrohog
movin' on

3mm = .11", the major diameter of a 4-40 bolt is .112". Yes, the thread pitch is different if you are trying to thread into a nut, but if you are creating your own threads in a plastic ball link, there really is no difference. Just don't "re-use" a ball link that had previously been used with a 4-40 rod.

Regards,

Astrohog
astrohog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Mike 48
Super Contributor

astrohog, thanks.
Mike 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Coletrane
"Team JR"

2 years ago at Nall, Chief had the Thunder Tiger blue anodized Ti turnbuckles for sale....cheap. The only thread size was 3mm..... Admittedly at first I was very hesitant, but considering the application/installation of creating threads inside plastic Dubro 4-40 ball links as MY primary usage, I bought 45ea ranging in various lengths.... Long story short, I have experienced zero issues/failures using the 3mm turnbuckles into a 4-40 sized ball link......
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Glyder
Uber Contributor

As long as youre threading into new links youll be fine. JMO.