Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Mike 48
Super Contributor

Default 3mm and 4-40 pushrods

I guess most ARF's come with hardware that is metric in size since most are made in Asia. I was assembling a Phoenix Edge and did not like the ball links that came in the box. The pushrods were 3mm diameter. Going through my supply of misc. hardware I didn't find any ball links that were 3mm but I did have some 4-40 links. I tried one and found it screwed on to the pushrod just fine.

As far as I can tell, there shouldn't be any issue doing this. However, if anyone thinks differently I would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks
Mike 48
Mike 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
mizm75
Fly Delta jets

Not to be a smart arse but are you one of those people that will use a 1/2 inch wrench or socket on a 12mm bolt? If not then there's your answer. Don't risk your plane, your personal safety and that of others over a few bucks worth of pushrods.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
astrohog
movin' on

3mm = .11", the major diameter of a 4-40 bolt is .112". Yes, the thread pitch is different if you are trying to thread into a nut, but if you are creating your own threads in a plastic ball link, there really is no difference. Just don't "re-use" a ball link that had previously been used with a 4-40 rod.

Regards,

Astrohog
astrohog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Mike 48
Super Contributor

astrohog, thanks.
Mike 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Coletrane
"Team JR"

2 years ago at Nall, Chief had the Thunder Tiger blue anodized Ti turnbuckles for sale....cheap. The only thread size was 3mm..... Admittedly at first I was very hesitant, but considering the application/installation of creating threads inside plastic Dubro 4-40 ball links as MY primary usage, I bought 45ea ranging in various lengths.... Long story short, I have experienced zero issues/failures using the 3mm turnbuckles into a 4-40 sized ball link......
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Glyder
Uber Contributor

As long as youre threading into new links youll be fine. JMO.