Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Build Threads
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
drlade007
Flyin' Around

Default Great Planes Giant Big Stik or Drastik 120

I cant decided on the Great Planes Giant Stik or the Drastik from texasrcplanes . This will be my first giant plane so i would like a little help .. anyone ?
drlade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Scott Gerber
Closed Account

AMR has several sizes of sticks in kit form.
Scott Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
drlade007
Flyin' Around

Ok i'll check them out ..Thanks
Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Huffy
Doo It! Doo It!

I have the 120 size drastik with a RCGF 40 twin and it's a hoot. BUT, the hardware is useless and the covering is not the best, the overall built is just average. I did a lot of work on mine to make it good, I would go for the great planes gaint stik much better quality.
Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
mighty9
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I have had both and hands down the Great planes is a better aircraft. Covering and build quality are better on the great planes. Texas r/c as a company is great to deal with though
What engine are you planning?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
ghoffman
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Perhaps you can find a NIB Ultra Stick 120 Lite. That is the best flying one I have had or flown. Even then, the hardware was useless, I moved the servos to the rear, and reinforced the firewall and landing gear mounting area with carbon/epoxy. From what I have heard, the AMR kits are very good, but they build out tail heavy.

Last edited by ghoffman; 10-23-2013 at 07:16 AM.
ghoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
drlade007
Flyin' Around

Like i said i'm new to the this size plane , i have a Hanger 9 P51 with a DLE 20 on it and does everything i ask it to with no problems . I thought i would run a DLE 30 or DLE 35RA on this plane . Do you think its enough engine ? or is there a better choice without breaking the bank ?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Edwin
Flyin' Around

I just finished assembling a .60 stick from GP. When compared to the same plane at Texas RC, it was $10 more difference. You throw in the standard Tower discount and now its $10 cheaper. When I looked at the two, they are the same price, until you include the tower discount, $40. The GP was a straight forward build. Its gonna be a test mule for my 15gx. I have a ultrasport stick 120 with a 20cc on it. It flys, but not with authority. Flys much better with a 30cc. Its also a test mule for breaking in engines.
Edwin
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
drlade007
Flyin' Around

I think that Great Planes Giant big stik is the one i have decided on.. It appears to have a great track record and thanks to everyone for your comments ...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
captmike
Flyin' Around

I built the AMR big stik 50 for a guy this last spring. Easiest kit I ever built!! The plane is a tank but flies GREAT. I don't have a problem building heavy but anybody who has built an AMR kit will tell u they are inherently heavy airframes. I put a DLE 60 twin on the front and it is An AWSOME combo. I covered it in solartex. If u use the supplied wing jig that comes with it, you couldn't build it crooked if u wanted to!! It honestly only took 2 weeks to build. I've shown and flown it at a lot of fun flys and everyone says its the best stik they have ever seen!!
captmike is offline   Reply With Quote