logo
nzflyer21's blog View Details
Archive for July, 2019
Posted by nzflyer21 | 07-30-2019 @ 11:26 PM | 1,563 Views
Hello there once again, another wintery day outside so I headed into the garage for a wee while. Not to cold but a nasty wind blowing with snow falling further south of here.
I completed some further work at the rear of the fuselage in order to place the tail dragger on. Not to sure about doing what is set out on the plan, so I will have a good look at the full size and try to replicate that. Otherwise all is going well.
I made a start on the belly pan area which will be removable to get at the servo and radio gear. I have decided to build the structure in place to get a good fit. I very lightly CA ed the formers in place and will build up around that.
Also I have placed a couple of photos of how I splice my 1\4 X 1\4 stringers which I took of BUSA web video s. to get longer lengths. Probably not new you guys, but it was to me.
Well thanks for your interest regards Steve
Posted by nzflyer21 | 07-22-2019 @ 11:29 PM | 2,056 Views
Hello again
Well a very productive afternoon in the garage today, I was able to get the tail fin and rudder completed and bend the piano wire for the rudder control as well.
Also made a couple of plywood tabs for the fin into the fuselage for extra support. I know there will be flying wires to support, but I thought it would help stiffen everything up.

Well feeling very pleased with myself, taking my time and hopefully everything will turn out good.
Posted by nzflyer21 | 07-18-2019 @ 12:04 AM | 2,270 Views
Hello there again,

I managed to spend a short period out in the garage this afternoon and placed a few of the stringers in place . They. seemed to fit nicely and come to the right place at the tail. Tomorrow I will start getting the tailplane dry-fitted ant worked out.
I see that the full-size version had the rudder and elevator control horns internal the fuselage, which I think I could replicate ok.
I spent some time surfing the net looking for the correct colours for the French roundels and came across the information about the origin of the French roundels and that it was the practice of a good number of emerging WW1 airforces to use the circle to place their emblem into. The French it appears looked back to the past to make use of the colours of the tricolored cockade red, white and blue. Of the 1789 period of the French revolution. Well, I hope that this is reasonably correct. I found it interesting to read.
The next bit of research will be to find out the correct colours of the 5 colour camouflage scheme used on the Morane Saulnier A1
Posted by nzflyer21 | 07-11-2019 @ 09:18 PM | 2,278 Views
Hi, sorry I just realized I actually haven't put a picture up of what I am building.
It is a Morane Saulnier WW1 aircraft 1/3 rd scale. The plans are from BUSA
I am yet to decide on which aircraft to model or base my paintwork on as there are several really nice schemes out there to choose from.
I hope it ok to post these pictures as I retrieved them from the internet
Posted by nzflyer21 | 07-11-2019 @ 09:02 PM | 2,109 Views
Hello there again
Well I have managed to get out to the garage for a couple of hours today I took a small fan heater as a comrade to in an attempt to keep me warm. Didn't work, it was still cold.
So I will put up a few pictures of my efforts. I wanted to show you the small saw bench I purchased from AliExpress this year. It has really improved my cuts and keep the cross cut square in both ways. Across and downwards.

I also purchased a very small engineer s square which is proving very handy in my effort to maintain a good finish to my work. The little saw bench can easy handle up to 1\2 inch balsa wood with ease and if you go quietly it will rip the 1\2 inch as well. It can manage thin ply ok but does not like 1\4 inch at all.
I started the tail plane and elevator in this session and set out where my Robart hinges are to go . I drilled the holes and made small notches to get a closer fit.
I think this has worked out good doing this part early in the build.
Posted by nzflyer21 | 07-10-2019 @ 12:03 AM | 2,253 Views
Hello again
Well again I find myself doing other things instead of working on the Morane.
Bitterly cold over the last 3 weeks with the temperature remaining cool.
We are waiting on our new log fire to be installed so doing it about hard.
Today I decided to recover an old hobby king trainer I have had for years.
It had a horrid pink film on it so time for that to go
The bones of it are still good. But very faded and the control horns I discovered during the striping down were in fact very brittle and broke as I was removing them which was disconcerting. I last flew it about 6 months ago I think so I count myself lucky not to have had a crash.
So this afternoon I pulled most of the old film off and recovered with some red film I have about. The wing is in good condition and I will place a servo in each side instead of the one central servo.
Oh well at least I feel that I have done something constructive ,not scale but something to quickly do.