logo
Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts
Re: 50% Hempel Edge 540

Another possible explanation for your trouble is if the Tru-Turn spinner was just a little loose and was able to shift a little. If the 'cone' of the spinner turned enough to touch the prop, that would probabbly be enough to break all the prop bolts.... I have had this happen to me just recently.

BH
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

My 275 threw a prop Once way back, bolts were tight but one blade separated, we suspected a bird strike, I put a new prop, hundreds of flights later and I am still using the same prop.
snap a saurus is offline Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Belgium
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts

Last weekend we went to an airshow in La Ferté Alais, France
Vid of the Edge:
Edge 540 .02 Petit Gros Scale model RC plane Full HD IMAA IMC à La Ferté-Alais LFTA 2010 (0 min 35 sec)

More pics on http://www.harofly.be >pictures

Gr Wim
Gaaaz is offline Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Old 07-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by Pcbang
Dont tell the Wife im here
Sydney
Joined Oct 2008
581 Posts

awsome!!!
Pcbang is offline Find More Posts by Pcbang
Old 07-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts

50% looks nice , We need more pics lol
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by Aussieaero's
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarocoupe View Post
50% looks nice , We need more pics lol
Here you go this one is more local. The other plane is a 41% Wild Hare extra 300
Aussieaero's is offline Find More Posts by Aussieaero's
Old 07-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts

looking nice , very clean install too, so much gear in there lol, Whens the next flight?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 07-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Find More Posts by mad mal
geelong vic
Joined Jan 2010
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieaero's View Post
Here you go this one is more local. The other plane is a 41% Wild Hare extra 300
nice planes, shame about the supermodel holding them wasn't wearing a mankini!!!!!!!!!
mad mal is offline Find More Posts by mad mal
Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by spidernad
I'd rather be flying!
Cinnaminson, New Jersey USA
Joined Dec 2008
234 Posts

Quote:
Thanks TD, all sounds like good advice. I will have to draw the conclusion they were to tight as I know they were not loose. The Beila carbon I used had a wooden hub and a few guys have looked at it and said the centre may have collapsed as all the carbon has broken of like a washer on the back of the prop.
I had this problem with the carbon cutting out of the back of a biela 3 blade prop on my 275 as well. I had a TruTurn spinner and they have those knurled teeth where the prop meets the back plate. That Knurling really seems more for small single bolt props. I dont think it needs to be on a multi bolt prop backplate. Notice the factory prop hub is flat (no knurling). I milled mine off so it was smooth and flat and it doesn't hurt my props any more. Also, I like to re-torque new props a few times, maybe once after a short run and again after a few more as they seem to crush a small bit.

But I think Bill hit it on the head about the spinner. Mine got just loose enough to move and start to cut into the prop and if I had a longer flight, may have come off and/or broke the prop bolts. I didn't want to distort the spinner but they need a bit more gradual tightning than you think.
spidernad is offline Find More Posts by spidernad
Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Gil
Find More Posts by Gil
Gil
Australia
Joined Apr 2007
373 Posts

Quote:
Mike,
That looks like it will present the Sportman sequence pretty well.

Good luck with it. Looks like a fun model.
Gil is offline Find More Posts by Gil
Old 03-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidernad View Post
I had this problem with the carbon cutting out of the back of a biela 3 blade prop on my 275 as well. I had a TruTurn spinner and they have those knurled teeth where the prop meets the back plate. That Knurling really seems more for small single bolt props. I dont think it needs to be on a multi bolt prop backplate. Notice the factory prop hub is flat (no knurling). I milled mine off so it was smooth and flat and it doesn't hurt my props any more. Also, I like to re-torque new props a few times, maybe once after a short run and again after a few more as they seem to crush a small bit.

But I think Bill hit it on the head about the spinner. Mine got just loose enough to move and start to cut into the prop and if I had a longer flight, may have come off and/or broke the prop bolts. I didn't want to distort the spinner but they need a bit more gradual tightning than you think.
Hi Spidernad, thanks for the tips on the spinner. I was running one of Bills wood 3 bladeprops last time I flew it but found it a bit to big and it loaded the motor to much. My motor is not the CS, it is only the standard 275ts. I have now fitted a Biela 36X12 2 blade and am about to try it, I think it will work fine as long as it stays on. I will keep an eye on the backing plate.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Mike,
That looks like it will present the Sportman sequence pretty well.

Good luck with it. Looks like a fun model.
Hi Gil, I am sure it would present the sportsman routine well but it would need a new pilot as I clearly sucked at the last comp I flew at.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by Pcbang
Dont tell the Wife im here
Sydney
Joined Oct 2008
581 Posts

Quote:
Hi Gil, I am sure it would present the sportsman routine well but it would need a new pilot as I clearly sucked at the last comp I flew at.
Mike u know i love edges can i have a go *lol*
Pcbang is offline Find More Posts by Pcbang
Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by spidernad
I'd rather be flying!
Cinnaminson, New Jersey USA
Joined Dec 2008
234 Posts

Quote:
Hi Spidernad, thanks for the tips on the spinner. I was running one of Bills wood 3 bladeprops last time I flew it but found it a bit to big and it loaded the motor to much. My motor is not the CS, it is only the standard 275ts. I have now fitted a Biela 36X12 2 blade and am about to try it, I think it will work fine as long as it stays on. I will keep an eye on the backing plate.
Hi Aussieaero's.

I've been using that same Biela 36x12 carbon prop. It's the best prop I've tried so far. Not too noisy, good performance. Seems to load the engine just about right. I have the 275 CS but I don't think it will make much diffrence on the standard 275. Maybe just pull the engine down a slight bit more. I had one of Bill's wood 37x13 on there and it was great in performance but that extra inch seems to put it into the supersonic condition more and some of the old timers at my club get on my case about it. (I guess it was pretty loud, lol) Bill just started selling a 36X14 wood scimitar prop that looks a lot like the Bolly 36x14 carbon prop that is no longer made. I think the Bolly was a great prop so I think Bill produced this one as a replacement. (see attached pics.) I heard the Bolly had problens with delaminating so maybe thats why it went away.

I Really recommend milling off the sharp knurling on the backplate if yours has it, as it will cut into the carbon on the bilea prop. But do as you feel comfortable with of course.

Cheers.
spidernad is offline Find More Posts by spidernad
Last edited by spidernad; 03-12-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcbang View Post
Mike u know i love edges can i have a go *lol*
Hey Steve, if I let you fly it you would want one you sure you want to spend that sort of money .

Quick Reply