logo
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
hahahaha you south dakota guys are crazy!
Ill turn the idle down, the engine could run at about 1800 rpm without sputtering so maybe ill set it at 1880 or so. And husker I couldn't get a super accurate rpm reading because I was holding the tach and radio, and trying to hold back the plane at full power. One run it was. At 7060 and held it for the ten seconds I had it at WOT. And its a new engine, only five tanks through it so it'll pick up in time. And I am running a heavy oil mixture (30:1 just for this first gallon then its 40/50:1). And I'm rich, I know that for a fact. I'm maidening the plane the engine is in tomorrow, and about 80% of the stuff in that plane was new to me, all of it I had to learn and that sorta thing. And this plane, let's just say I will be cutting grass for a lonnnng time if anything happens to it. So just to eliminate one variable, I have it about 1/8 turn rich. Its not affecting it much, but it probably is taking away some rpm and throttle response. But its fine by me, at least for now. I don't want to be worrying about the engine when fifty other things about the plane are running through my head if you see what I'm saying.
So it will get better as it breaks in, less oil, and I lean it out. I will lower that idle though.

Thanks!
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
You should be able to get it down to a solid 1600-1650 without any problems. If it won't you are most likely too rich on the low. Depending on your field you may still have fun landing at 1880. I have my hgih idle set at 1800 and my low at 1500 or there abouts.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
huckin chuck, you are on the money. baby it at first if youre unfamilliar. better safe than sorry.

also, you will find that 40:1 oil is a great ratio stihl hp ultra or redline... doesnt matter wich one.

your engine will start to require leaning. give it a crack lean on the needles as required to keep it smooth as you will hear it asking for it. then your power will come up.
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
and as you lean your engine, youll have to continue to back your idle down in the tx. one other bit of advice i can give youis to "sport fly" for the first few tanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Find More Posts by planebender
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckin Chuck View Post
Ill turn the idle down, the engine could run at about 1800 rpm without sputtering so maybe ill set it at 1880 or so. And husker I couldn't get a super accurate rpm reading because I was holding the tach and radio, and trying to hold back the plane at full power. One run it was. At 7060 and held it for the ten seconds I had it at WOT. And its a new engine, only five tanks through it so it'll pick up in time. And I am running a heavy oil mixture (30:1 just for this first gallon then its 40/50:1). And I'm rich, I know that for a fact. I'm maidening the plane the engine is in tomorrow, and about 80% of the stuff in that plane was new to me, all of it I had to learn and that sorta thing. And this plane, let's just say I will be cutting grass for a lonnnng time if anything happens to it. So just to eliminate one variable, I have it about 1/8 turn rich. Its not affecting it much, but it probably is taking away some rpm and throttle response. But its fine by me, at least for now. I don't want to be worrying about the engine when fifty other things about the plane are running through my head if you see what I'm saying.
So it will get better as it breaks in, less oil, and I lean it out. I will lower that idle though.

Thanks!
Good luck on the maiden flight Chuck!

Planebender
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Old 03-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Good luck with your maiden flight, but I godda say......toss that tach out in the weeds and forget about it. Mix your gas 40:1 Stihl HP ultra, tune that engine to run (repeat after me "not rich") and go fly that bastard!!! It will run forever if you tune it decent (good transition, does not fall off at WOT, not rich / not lean). Most important, get some pics and vids
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
(repeat after me "not rich")
Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
+ 1 toss the tach. listen to it! follow terrys advice (and mine) and youll be like a crazy so dakian in no time flat!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsp View Post
+ 1 toss the tach. listen to it! follow terrys advice (and mine) and youll be like a crazy so dakian in no time flat!
Lol! God help me if that ever happens!
Here's what ill do. First flight ill just run it as it is because I know its good, then I will lean it just a hair, and fly. Then repeat until iim to normal levels.

And I take it that I will be leaning it again with a lesser oil content because there will be more gas to burn in every drop.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
And I take it that I will be leaning it again with a lesser oil content because there will be more gas to burn in every drop.
NO. The oil is your lube, it does not really burn it goes through does it's job and poops out the back. (does so in style with a Pro Flow I might add).
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Last edited by terryscustom; 03-17-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Lol! God help me if that ever happens!
Here's what ill do. First flight ill just run it as it is because I know its good, then I will lean it just a hair, and fly. Then repeat until iim to normal levels.

Also there is a rule around here that you cannot end your maiden flight until the covering has been scraped off the top of your rudder and or tips of your elevators. I expect some pics/video.

Have fun!
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Agreed... I never tach my engines.. just tune them until they feel right..
Chris Todd is offline Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by planebender
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,222 Posts
Quote:
(repeat after me "not rich")
Who's rich? Most of us can barely survive
Planebender
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Husker screw that! I babied it the first flight. But then second I hit high rates a few times. Third I was hovering and KE spins. And fourth and last flight I was hovering five feet off the deck no joke. I may have pics, we shall see how good my grandfather is with a camera lololol. The pro flow liked to rotate to the right (when lookihng forward) and once it made a gouge in the tunnel. So I sealed it up with glue and tonight I will put a peice of wood with a circle for the stinger ih so keep it from rotating. I know I know "but you gotta drill and put the screw through it" but its out of reach and I don't want to eff with and take it all out haha.
The engine ran silky smooth and its the noise was great. I need to lean it out just a bit still though. But even the FOG's (jk I love the guys) said it was suprisingly quiet. I just can't firewall it on the right side of the field where the a**hole who hates noise lives.
I love this can!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by Snooper
Suspended Account
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
Ultra HP 32:1 is really good protection. Especially if you torque roll allot for extended periods of time. My DA170 is smooth as glass at that ratio with no noticeable power loss compared to 50:1 Bellray.Plus its cleaning all the crap out that Bellray left behind.
Snooper is offline Find More Posts by Snooper
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply