Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
You just have to throw fuel on the fire. That shows that people in the USA have been wanting this for some time now. JR just did what people put pressure on them to do.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
OK... lots of catching up to do.....

No, I don't mean to suggest that connecting the battery through a Y-cable is the ONLY way to connect the receiver.. but, if you intend to use separate channels for each servo, you'll probably eat up every available port on the power bus... so, whether you gang your battery with a sensor and the bind plug, or if you gang it with a servo.. you'll be ganging the battery with SOMETHING on the plane. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I suspected you could connect the battery to any available slot... although I didn't see that anywhere in the manual.

As for powersafe receivers.... the key benefit of these was to combine the receiver with power management to the bus. Without it, you're left to whatever discharge rate you got (assuming multiple batteries) . The advent of powersafe let you rest assured that both batteries would be drawn upon a about the same rate.. and they saved you from needing to buy an additional power management device from SmartFly or someone like that. I think just about every Futaba receiver in a 150cc or larger plane would be tied to some sort of power management electronics. Now it looks like anyone flying DMSS will probably take the same route if they're concerned about battery management and usage. Not a bad choice to make, but not a choice that I like being forced into making.

As for JR sponsored pilots... I would think JR is approaching a number of people right now to fill that gap.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
There are some people sponsored by JR Japan who have been for quite some time having nothing to do with these announcements what so ever.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by Spridal
Joined May 2010
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
Doug,
I don't think there is that much confusion, pretty simple really.

HH JR-DSMX is dead going forward.

JR is not producing updates for these products, like they are for the DMSS systems.

HH is not producing updates for these products like they are for the Spektrum products.

These products are in the same class as 72 mhz systems going forward. Big loss in value.

I will not buy new RXs for this system when I build a new plane. Kind of like throwing good money after bad.

The good news is that my collection of DSMX RXs should still have value to Spektrum users. The DSM2 Rxs not so much.

The good news is my current planes will fly just as good as ever on my 11X DSMX system. No loss there.

We supported JR HH through the difficulties of the emerging 2.4 technology. DSM, DSM2, DSMX, only to eventually be abandonded by them.

Not very confusing in my opinion.

What he said...
Spridal is offline Find More Posts by Spridal
Last edited by Spridal; 04-17-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: clarifying my point.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by XJet
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
I disagree. Telemetry giving you alarms based upon power battery voltage and capacity usage can be the difference between puffing (destroying) and keeping a battery. When a battery pack for a contemporary F3A airplane costs $300 or more, this simple feature can save you a LOT of money.
Okay, so I'm not into F3A but I have to wonder at why you'd be paying $300 for a battery pack and why you'd be using a technology that will "puff" so easily and not allow rapid recharges between flights.

Are LiFePO4/A123 packs not suitable for this discipline?
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Weight and power delivery. They need to be very light, and need to be able to discharge at 80-90 amps for some motors. A typical F3A battery is 10s2P 4600-5000mah.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts
All the speculation in this thread is quite comical.

Would all those that know the history leading up to this decision please raise their hand? No hands raised? Thought so.

All speculation does is make people that aren't 100% sure of what's going on more pissed off and elevate everyone's post count. I kindly ask that we stick to facts and not conjecture, and perhaps clean this thread up.

I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone on here is making it out to be. If it weren't for the lynch mobs that form at a moment's notice, forums may be a good place to exchange information and learn...
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Last edited by Ryan Smith; 04-16-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: People on the internets will discount your knowledge from a spelling error.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
There are some people sponsored by JR Japan who have been for quite some time having nothing to do with these announcements what so ever.
Which US pilots do you know of who are directly sponsored by JR. Most all of the former Team JR guys I know now wear the blue Team Horizon shirts.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts
A minor clarification to your statement, Bill.

ALL Team JR pilots of yesteryear are now wearing a blue shirt.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
I give up.... not trying to bash any brand, just trying to understand what to expect. I'll shut up and watch the market until soomething surfaes that meets my needs and budget.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by RCHUGHES
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jan 2007
219 Posts
I don't mind the move by JR at all! I think it will help them in the future, lets face it, the whole Spektrum/JR thing has been slowly dying for a while now. Spektrum wanted to move on with their own brand of Radios and equipment which made them pretty much competitors with JR. In the long run this will be the best solution for JR because now they don't have to rely on Spektrum's technology to take them to new places! They now offer Telemetry on their Radios, I have read many many threads of people bashing JR because they don't have telemetry! Well now you have it. I myself jumped on the DSMX bandwagon and picked up one of the DSMX X9503s. I will use it until I see fit to change in which I will stay with JR! There is nothing wrong with the DSMX stuff in JR systems and really just sayin' I don't have time to look down at telemetry will I am hucking!
RCHUGHES is offline Find More Posts by RCHUGHES
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadBowl View Post
All the speculation in this thread is quite comical.

Would all those that know the history leading up to this decision please raise their hand? No hands raised? Thought so.

All speculation does is make people that aren't 100% sure of what's going on more pissed off and elevate everyone's post count. I kindly ask that we stick to facts and not conjecture, and perhaps clean this thread up.

I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone on here is making it out to be. If it weren't for the lynch mobs that form at a moment's notice, forums may be a good place to exchange information and learn...
Ryan,
I don't think I have engaged in much speculation about how things arrived at this point. My comments are more about where the decisions that were made have left the current user base, and the differences in the upgrade path JR is offering the non HH user base. These are pretty factual in nature, and certainly not speculation.

Since you work for HH you probably know more than the rest of us about how decisions were made, and where things are going. If you would like to quiet the "lynch mob" and make this forum “a good place to exchange information and learn", you are in a unique position to do so. I know I would like to learn, and the best way to stop speculation is to fill in the unknowns with facts.

Otherwise your complaining about speculation sounds rather insincere
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadBowl View Post
A minor clarification to your statement, Bill.

ALL Team JR pilots of yesteryear are now wearing a blue shirt.
Thanks. Now I feel old!! Like I said, all the Team JR pilots I know, so they are all from "yesteryear"!! First I see the Young Uns winning the ETOC now I get reminded I am from days gone by!!

Next I'll hear the wagon outside calling to "bring out your dead". In my best Monty Python voice "But I'm not dead yet"........

Monty Python Bring out Your Dead (0 min 56 sec)
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts
Steve,

Please check your PM inbox.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post

Secondly, the term "investment" is being tossed around in this thread a good bit. Investment by definition for most folks is to contribute funds with the expectation of financial gain. I can see that Horizon made an 'investment' in the Spektrum line of products and in JR by supplying them with the DSM/DSM2/DSMX technology. However, a consumer who purchases a product did not invest into that product development with expecation of ROI. Consumers make purchases and purchases are not investments unless you expect to make gains on that investment. Did any of you buy a JR DSM2/DSMX system with the expectation of selling it at the future date for more than the purchase price? Doubt it.
Kevin,

You are using a very narrow definition of the term "investment". One that is not in alignment with HH use of the term.

Interestingly here is a quote from the HH website on the DSMX upgrade for the 11X.

"Before investing in the DSMX transmitter add-on, there are several important facts about DSMX you need to know:"

It seems my use of the word is much the same as HH used.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1

Quick Reply