logo
Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Yup, the 2 RX8R's will work together, But the XM+ is only 13 dollars and a full blown 16 channel receiver that has amazing range, and is about the size of a penny.

JoeT is online now Find More Posts by JoeT
Last edited by JoeT; 05-09-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by n8dav8r
United States, CA, Salida
Joined Jul 2015
233 Posts
My favorite flavor is to use two RX's (Currently an RX8R Pro and and an XM+), through an XPS X24. SBUS from each RX to the X24. Redundant power, smart switching, ignition BEC/cutoff, and servo matching in a reliable and affordable package. Makes for a fairly simple setup. Previously I ran similar but with the X10+.

I'm running this in a 115" AJ Laser, a PAU Viper, and will be doing the same in a JTEC build starting soon.

Like JoeT said...lots of ways to skin this cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdogzrc View Post
Question for y'all,

I recently purchased a Horus X10 and I'm slowly converting my fleet over to it.
I'll be setting up a 40% Carden Edge, and I'm curious to know what would be a good system. So far here are a few options I've considered:

Two RX8R pros through an RB-20

Two D8R-II's outputting PPM into a Jeti Central Box 200 since it can take PPM inputs from any RX

Two RX8R pros through either a BoomaRC Smartbus extreme or a BoomaRC Powerbus 1232

Thoughts y'all?

Thanks!
n8dav8r is offline Find More Posts by n8dav8r
Old 05-14-2018, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by Topdogzrc
Joined Jan 2018
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dav8r View Post
My favorite flavor is to use two RX's (Currently an RX8R Pro and and an XM+), through an XPS X24. SBUS from each RX to the X24. Redundant power, smart switching, ignition BEC/cutoff, and servo matching in a reliable and affordable package. Makes for a fairly simple setup. Previously I ran similar but with the X10+.

I'm running this in a 115" AJ Laser, a PAU Viper, and will be doing the same in a JTEC build starting soon.

Like JoeT said...lots of ways to skin this cat.
I totally forgot that the XPS X24 existed. Good to hear that XPS is still around so that system might be worth it, I'll look into it. Thanks!
Topdogzrc is offline Find More Posts by Topdogzrc
Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2018
90 Posts
A question for y'all since I'm still trying to understand it; what is the point of the Flap Set function in the Horus X10? Is it to set different travels for different assigned flaps, such as flap and flap2, and have them deploy at different deflections on the same switch?

I know to adjust the travel you use a EX-MIXER function, but then what is the purpose for having the "flap set" function since it seems to not be like a JR or Spektrum flap function?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdogzrc View Post
A question for y'all since I'm still trying to understand it; what is the point of the Flap Set function in the Horus X10? Is it to set different travels for different assigned flaps, such as flap and flap2, and have them deploy at different deflections on the same switch?

I know to adjust the travel you use a EX-MIXER function, but then what is the purpose for having the "flap set" function since it seems to not be like a JR or Spektrum flap function?

You will get a better answer by posting your question here

Also, be clear when posting whether your question relates to setting up flaps in OpenTX or FrOS. As for FrOS, I struggled with the flap functionality. It's been the one aspect of FrOS that didn't work as expected for me. And it's not well documented. I did ultimately make it work, assigning flaps to the 6 position rotary knob.
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Joined Jan 2018
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
You will get a better answer by posting your question here

Also, be clear when posting whether your question relates to setting up flaps in OpenTX or FrOS. As for FrOS, I struggled with the flap functionality. It's been the one aspect of FrOS that didn't work as expected for me. And it's not well documented. I did ultimately make it work, assigning flaps to the 6 position rotary knob.
Apologies, I should've clarified it was FrOS that I was referring to.
I did ask the question on that forum, but I guess it got skipped over by another question below mine. I'll probably ask it again and see what they say.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
No worries. If you post again, I will reply to reinforce that I also have a similar question. Jet_Flyer will most likely try to help. Maybe there's a flap setup post somewhere we've missed.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by n8dav8r
United States, CA, Salida
Joined Jul 2015
233 Posts
Quote:
No worries. If you post again, I will reply to reinforce that I also have a similar question. Jet_Flyer will most likely try to help. Maybe there's a flap setup post somewhere we've missed.
There are, do some searches with FrOS, X10S, Flasps and you'll find it. I saw threads referencing this when I did a quick search yesterday.

I gave up on actually trying to help, since I have no business talking about FrOS. I have been OpenTX for a few years and it's the only way I can think. These pre-programmed transmitters confuse me!
n8dav8r is offline Find More Posts by n8dav8r
Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Joined Jan 2018
90 Posts
Quote:
Thank you sir, that'll help!
I'll probably post it later this evening
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dav8r View Post
I gave up on actually trying to help, since I have no business talking about FrOS. I have been OpenTX for a few years and it's the only way I can think. These pre-programmed transmitters confuse me!

Totally understand. I have an OG Taranis running the latest OpenTX with 15 electric aircraft programmed in it, and an X10S running FrOS. I generally prefer FrOS. I'd only flash the X10S to OpenTX if I absolutely had to have a critical capability that isn't available with FrOS. The only such limitation so far for me is FrOS does not support the DSMX hack module I use for a couple of BNF's.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2018
90 Posts
So I know I asked about the Flap Set function earlier, and I got help on RCGroups.

Here is the thing I was missing:

Step 1: (If using three position flaps) set the switch to takeoff flaps <- (I was missing that)
Step 2: Adjust the offset value (far right) to set takeoff flap position
Step 3: Adjust the flap up/flap down travels to their desired positions

Hope that helps, and once I charge up my Horus I can add pictures to explain what I'm doing
Old 07-31-2018, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by myfivezees
United States, PA, Bethel Park
Joined Oct 2007
768 Posts
I have been using Hitec Aurora 9 radios for quite a few years and have been very happy with them. Looking to move up to a better system now and I am seriously considering the FrSky X10S.

I was looking at a Jeti but that would necessitate replacing about a dozen Hitec Optima receivers which I am not willing to do.

If I understand this correctly, I can plug my Hitec Modules into the X10S radio and therefore continue to use my Optima receivers ?

Has anyone had any similar experiences switching as I have indicated ?
myfivezees is offline Find More Posts by myfivezees
Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Similar situation but different module. I plugged a spectrum dm9 into the frsky TX and flew a bunch of dsm2 receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfivezees View Post
I have been using Hitec Aurora 9 radios for quite a few years and have been very happy with them. Looking to move up to a better system now and I am seriously considering the FrSky X10S.

I was looking at a Jeti but that would necessitate replacing about a dozen Hitec Optima receivers which I am not willing to do.

If I understand this correctly, I can plug my Hitec Modules into the X10S radio and therefore continue to use my Optima receivers ?

Has anyone had any similar experiences switching as I have indicated ?
JoeT is online now Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by mcddd
Eldon, MO
Joined Jan 2006
5 Posts
FrSky uses a JR style module in their transmitters, including the X10S. The Hitec module you have now won't fit into the X10S since the Aurora 9 uses a Futaba style module. Hitec makes a Spectra 2.4J - 2.4 GHz Module for JR Radios, Part No: 29537, that would fit into the X10S and should work with the Optima 2.4 receivers.
mcddd is offline Find More Posts by mcddd
Old 08-01-2018, 05:29 AM
Find More Posts by myfivezees
United States, PA, Bethel Park
Joined Oct 2007
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcddd View Post
FrSky uses a JR style module in their transmitters, including the X10S. The Hitec module you have now won't fit into the X10S since the Aurora 9 uses a Futaba style module. Hitec makes a Spectra 2.4J - 2.4 GHz Module for JR Radios, Part No: 29537, that would fit into the X10S and should work with the Optima 2.4 receivers.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been searching for Hitec part #29537 and am finding that it is discountined. I emailed Aloft Hobby and was told this was not needed ?

Aloft Hobby offers these receivers which says they are compatible with the X10S. Hitec Minima compatible 8CH Receiver (A-FHSS Compatible). Anyone have experience with these ?

I need to be certain before purchasing the x10S.
myfivezees is offline Find More Posts by myfivezees
Last edited by myfivezees; 08-01-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Quick Reply