logo
Old 03-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
I'm not afraid of the Android system as long as it's a better version of what my ix12 had. I would of paid more to get the better hardware to run it. But yes I would rather have a color touch screen with no Android if I could of had it my way.
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by The Beast
United States, OH, Hudson
Joined Jan 2017
61 Posts
Go buy a frsky radio and be happy pay less for rx and tx and be happy more flying and be happy less arguing AND BE HAPPY
The Beast is offline Find More Posts by The Beast
Old 03-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Go buy a frsky radio and be happy pay less for rx and tx and be happy more flying and be happy less arguing AND BE HAPPY
do you have to get the EE, and computer programming degree or does the frsky come with it??
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
I am not an open tx or Frsky fan. They came to the front in the quad game because of the cheap receivers that easily integrated to the controllers. You dont have to do any programming in the transmitter to make a quad work-- 99% is in the software interface with the board.. The quad guys are lemmings and all bought what worked and the guy on the youtube video used.... Now other manufacturers are stepping up with receivers that will integrate easily but they missed the boat.. Now spectrum is trying to chase a market that has already passed them by. Dropping 18 channel plus transmitters while waiting for the next release seems to be leaving a lot of plane users in the lurch. But hey these are the guys that thought buying the rotting corpse of bankrupt tower hobbies for $19M was a good idea too.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Last edited by 2walla; 03-20-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
do you have to get the EE, and computer programming degree or does the frsky come with it??
With full respect to this being a DX-20 thread...that's some serious misinformation.

I've owned and used both a DX18G2 and Horus X10S at the same time. And I do a own a DX7G2 for my grandson's trainer. My 2 cents:

My $430 Horus X10S came with FrOS, a menu-driven programming system. It's no more challenging or frankly very different than Spek, Futaba, or Airtronics. You absolutely don't need to install or use OpenTX, which is admittedly more challenging. While I do know how to use OpenTX from my 6 yr old Taranis, I stayed with FrOS on my Horus. I bought the Horus and bought a DX18G2 and ran them side by side in the same 35-50cc planes for several months. I sold the DX18G2. It wasn't even close. I regret only the wonderful ergonomics of the DX18.

The Horus was as easy to use as the DX18G2 but with better, stronger link, more modern interface and software design, better hardware, full range telemetry (DX telemetry is good for ~30% of the usable radio range), better gimbals, higher number of usable full precision channels, smaller receivers (seriously, why is the AR8010T so HUGE?), no need for satellites, etc. Oh, and you don't need to use a 3rd party Windows application to read the telemetry files...all of which seem to be dated 2010.

The DX-20 always looked very nice, but seemed like an excessive price premium for better gimbals and "bling". The Horus X10S with the better metal hall sensor gimbals cost only $60 more than the X10 with standard Horus gimbals.

Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion of the merits/demerits of Android for the DX-20's successor. Seems like an interesting decision to have been made. But IMHO, possibly a flawed one.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 03-21-2019, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by haribo
Joined Dec 2016
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182 View Post
I'm not afraid of the Android system as long as it's a better version of what my ix12 had.
I would of paid more to get the better hardware to run it.
But yes I would rather have a color touch screen with no Android if I could of had it my way.
better version for what purpose ?

my main phone runs on Android 2.2 I find it much more intuitive than the latest versions.

according to the DFA roadmap the T64 will be based on Android OS as well.

the real problem is that horizon hobby chose the worst and cheapest CPU available within hundreds of other better possibilities.

that way they make more profit $$$ YES. but they sell fewer units and their customers get angry
haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo
Last edited by haribo; 03-21-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haribo View Post
better version for what purpose ?

my main phone runs on Android 2.2 I find it much more intuitive than the latest versions.

according to the DFA roadmap the T64 will be based on Android OS as well.

the real problem is that horizon hobby chose the worst and cheapest CPU available within hundreds of other better possibilities.

that way they make more profit $$$ YES. but they sell fewer units and their customers get angry
Ok I worded it wrong. Yes a better CPU is what word I was after. I loved everything about the 12 but it couldn't get out of its own way. I went back to a roller tx and couldn't be happier. It'll be hard selling me on the next ix now
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
I'm not afraid or concerned about anything they are adding, I just don't want to pay for features I'll never use. These guys act like all we ever do with the radios is programming. Well I fly with mine and I want to improve the flying experience with more comfort, better gimbals etc. I could really care less if I swipe my finger or click a roller to make a change, I just want it to work and not for a grand
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
Fully Assimilated by Horizon...

a couple weeks ago the aileron gimbal on my dx18 got wonky...my backup 12x suddenly decided to not bind to anything anymore so uggggg.. So here I am on the fence as to what to do... So after hitting Costco I walked across the street to hobbytown and there was a sealed up dx20... Rumored to be the last one in existance.... 1300 and an hour later. Out came the sd card from my 18. 63 models transferred with the push of a button... Damn, I am on board for another 2-3 years with horizon but hey I can fly tomorrow!!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Transferred....but not bound
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Transferred....but not bound
Binding is the easy part. Lol. I learned long ago to not bury the receiver so you can' t get to it to bind...
Old 03-24-2019, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by Hoistguy
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Jul 2012
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttdog View Post
I'm not afraid or concerned about anything they are adding, I just don't want to pay for features I'll never use. These guys act like all we ever do with the radios is programming. Well I fly with mine and I want to improve the flying experience with more comfort, better gimbals etc. I could really care less if I swipe my finger or click a roller to make a change, I just want it to work and not for a grand
EXACTLY!
Hoistguy is offline Find More Posts by Hoistguy
Old 03-24-2019, 07:05 AM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haribo View Post
WoooooW I don't think he will even reply.

Interesting.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by jln1320
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2015
384 Posts
Sometimes binding can fail if the transmitter is too close to the receiver when executing the binding process.
jln1320 is offline Find More Posts by jln1320
Old 03-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
Binding is the easy part. Lol. I learned long ago to not bury the receiver so you can' t get to it to bind...
I figure that one out as well but rather than change where the rx might go, some of my planes there's not much choice, I just put a short servo lead extension into the bind port and run it to somewhere that I can access.
Zeeb is online now Find More Posts by Zeeb

Quick Reply